Convert a Logos User - an Accordance "Personal Book" equivalent?

highland04

I have been saving for a Logos package, and have dozens of their free resources now, as well as several personal books. But I also have several problems with Logos: it's horribly slow, while the customer support is friendly, they also nag you to death, the software tends to be buggy, their releases are always delayed, etc. Even their most satisfied users are constantly complaining. So I'm now looking to spend money elsewhere.

Logos' biggest draw for me has been the ability to import searchable "Personal Books." Since I own several resources as ebooks already, I can convert them to Word documents and import them into the software. There are even options to make scripture references and key words searchable. I have imported two to three dozen books.

Does Accordance have anything similar? If so, is it searchable? (For example, if I search for Genesis 1:1, and my personal book has a Gen 1:1 reference, will my personal book show up?). Finally, can it be tagged for important keywords, page numbers, and scripture passages?

I'm about two seconds from switching, but this is a big deal to me.

Thanks.

Accordance has both User Tools and User Notes. If your text is versified, create a new User Note. It will scroll in parallel with the biblical text. If it not versified, create a User Tool. It is fully searchable by Titles, Content, Scripture, Greek, Hebrew, and Rosetta (transliteration). Scripture is hyperlinked.

Hi Rick

How do I have to format a file that it's scroll with the User Notes? Without copy paste verse-note for verse-note by hand. Only one copy paste to User Notes.

Greetings

Fabian

I don't know of a way to do it except verse by verse. If someone knows a different way, please let us know!

When I'm right till Accordance 10 you can write

Gen. 1:1

sdlfhwofhasfhlsfhsjkfh

Gen. 1:2

lefwesfhosjfawsfk

but now?

I'm sorry, Fabian. I'm not certain what you're asking.

Has Dr. J done a tutorial on importing user files? Sounds like a lot of people could benefit from an in-depth look at this.

Yes. There are at least four of them. Go to http://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Index/and look under feature demos. There are three podcasts on User Tools and one on User Notes. Even though it's an older version of Accordance being shown, I'd say that 95% is applicable to v. 11.

So I'm correct then till the version10 we can self write the verse-numbering and then Accordance has take it as next Note but since 11 this is not possible again.

I see that the verse numbering in the edit window is centered, so it would be cool if we can also a verse number make as center for the next Note.

If you look on our podcast page you can find the three part podcast #30, that covers all aspects of making a User Tool. While the Accordance used in that version is a bit old now (v8), many of the interactions and capabilities will be quite similar.

One thing I would like to add. Unlike Logos any personal books you make for Accordance (User Notes or User Tools) are fully sync-able to your mobile device. Currently this includes only iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) but it has been hinted at somewhere in the forums by actually Accordance people that an Android version is being worked on. I had hoped PB might make it too mobile devices with 6, but all they did was make a way for smaller books to sync to full computers. I do know that many maybe even most users will have more than one computer but I would bet there are more than a few people like me who have only one computer.

-Dan

I have imported a number of books into Accordance as user tools. It can automatically recognise scripture references on the condition you import it from HTML. It is easy to convert Word to HTML and then import. I have found that it took a bit of time to get an initial one set up how I wanted but after that the steps were pretty straightforward.

The import does not have the capability to recognise tagged keywords but the text is fully searchable anyway. If you do a general search across resources then user tools are included and so will turn up in the results.

Ok...with all apologies to Logos (I have a soft spot for Bob and Co) but truthfully, you are correct. The user experience between the two platforms are worlds apart.

Yes, you can make "personal books" in Accordance and it works pretty well and yes, searchable just like any other Accordance title. You can convert HTML files or plain text files.

You can also have "user notes" which are like a personal note file with links and such.

Like anything else, you have to get used to how each program works but I can tell you that I had many, many, many thousands of dollars invested in Logos and decided to make a clean break and haven't regretted it.

Now, Logos has a LOT more titles and there are things that I've wanted that Accordance doesn't have; but to me, that's part of what I knew going in.

The SHEER JOY of hitting the "enter" button and having a complex search finish before you can glance up at the results makes up for any of that.

Also, the paradigm; the user interface (to me) is much more intuitive. It's sort of like Apple's slogan "it just works" I can't explain it more clearly than that.

You won't be sorry....trust me.

Also, they have a new Demo version of V11 that you can install and give a try to just to feel how the software works.

Edited by rpavich
  • Like 1