AccUpdater and Updates Inquiry

Tom Castle

Hey everyone. Just upgraded to 7.1 from 6.9. (I know, a little slow but...)

At any rate, I just tried the Accupdater widget. Pretty cool widget but now I have some questions. The updater is advising that a LOT of my modules are not up-to-date. However, only a few of them actually have a check box beside them. I'd like to have all the latest and greatest on the modules. I've run the downloads through the updater and the available checkboxes have now disappeared. It is still telling me that I have 66 modules that could be updated.

Question #1. Does the widget show me only the modules that I currently have??

Question #2. How do I get all of these updated??

The widget shows all the modules that you currently have whose version numbers do not match those listed on the website. If you click the module name you will see further update information. We are offering automatic upgrades to CD-ROMs which were current last September, not to every CD-ROM and module we have ever released. You probably need the new Library 7 CD-ROM and that upgrade will also add many new modules.

Details of the upgrade paths are posted here, and you can write to us to get a list of the upgrades that specifically apply to you.

Thanks Helen. I bought the ver 7 cd rom and am elated that I did so. I'll be making a larger purchase at the end of this month. Especially with the new sale that you guys have announced.

I'm sure you've heard it a ton of times but let me say it again... Thank you very much for providing this outstanding product and thank you for all the work you do.

• 4 weeks later...

Could I add a query with, perhaps, a different angle on how the AccUpdater works. When I run it, it lists a significant number of modules as requiring updates that I already have. Now could this be that it can't find modules to compare version numbers because of how I have stored them?

All the modules are inside <Accordance folder>, <Modules> and then either <Texts> or <Tools>. All text modules are in <English Bibles>, or Greek or Hebrew bible folders exactly as grouped on the OakSoft web site (see www.accordancebible.com/modules/index.php?category=all). Similarly the tools are grouped and held within folders exactly as arranged on the web site, ie, inside <English Tools>, <General Tools and Writings>, <Graphical Resources> Greek, Hebrew, Parallels and Reference Tools folders.

This arrangement has enabled me to make comparisons between my collection (I am very fortunate in having a lot of modules) and those shown on the Oaksoft website. But, have I done something wrong or is there another explanation and to why the AccUpdater doesn't seem to find all my modules?

Mike

I would check whether you have dual copies of any of these modules in the Accordance folder. The AccUpdater compares a list of the modules that Accordance is actually using. About the Text should show you the same version number as AccUpdater shows. Installers update the first module they find, and install into Modules/Texts or Modules/Tools, so you may have recent versions of modules, but be using old ones.

I would check whether you have dual copies of any of these modules in the Accordance folder. The AccUpdater compares a list of the modules that Accordance is actually using. About the Text should show you the same version number as AccUpdater shows. Installers update the first module they find, and install into Modules/Texts or Modules/Tools, so you may have recent versions of modules, but be using old ones.

Thanks Helen, I've checked and I did have a backup copy of everything but on a different drive. I have no other copies. I've how trashed the duplicate and AccUpdater is still not working. It tells me, for example that Dake current is 1.1 and Dake available is 1.2 and I have version 1.2 installed. I have, since starting this post, opened the Dake commentary, done a 'Save', closed Accordance and then rerun the Widget. No change.http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

I notice that you say "AccUpdater compares a list of the modules that Accordance IS ACTUALLY USING". Sometimes I go to open a module from within Accordance and it then asks me to find where that modules is. Does Accordance keep a list of opened modules as those 'actually used', rather than those just held anywhere within the Accordance 'Modules' folder?

Also; apologies, having now realised there is a Widget forum which I should have used. :o

Mike

That is correct, Mike. Accordance maintains lists of modules to be found anywhere on the hard drive in any heirarchical setup. Now, we *strongly* recommend keeping all of your modules in the Accordance folder (keeping them where you currently keep them is ideal), but Accordance definitely doesn't force you to use the default arrangement.

The widget actually queries Accordance directly to find out what modules you have installed, in what order, and at what version. If the widget is listing older versions of the modules, then chances are very good that you are actually using these older versions of the modules. Now, just to be safe, go to your Home user folder, open up Library, open up Preferences, and find the file called com.Oaktree.Accordance.Mod.plist . Take that file and delete it. Now then, quit and reopen Accordance (you are running version 7.1, are you not?) and *then* go back to the widget and see what it is reporting. If it *still* reports an old version of Dake (if its up-to-date, it shouldn't show at all), then chances are near 100% that you are using the old version of Dake. My guess is that Accordance is still referencing those old backed up modules rather than the ones in your modules folder.

Edit: Removed my old, hassling method of redoing module paths. See the below post for the much better method.

No, no, no!

The way to be sure that Accordance is not using the modules on the backup drive is to change the "path" name by renaming the folder that contains them. Then either open every module in Accordance (command + will cycle the front window to the next module), or run a Search All. Either way if Accordance cannot find a module it means it was using the one on the backup, but this allows you to re-point Accordance to the module in the Accordance folder.

You did not tell me what version About the Text in the Accordance menu is giving you for, say, Dake.

OK people. Here's the latest. I now have only one copy of Dake, checked by doing a 'Find' for Dake. My back-up drive is disconnected. I have done a 'Search All', which produced some interesting results but that is another story. I 'Saved', closed Accordance, reopened and re-ran AccUpdater. Result -- no change, it shows, to keep the same example, 'Current' Dake 1.1, 'Available' 1.2. The About the Text for Dake shows 1.2.

In the AccUpdater list there are in total: KJVS; Anchor; NIV Concordance; Dake: and 13 TJL references; and all are incorrect when compared with their respective 'About the Text' information. Interestingly, the KJVS update is downloadable and I did download and install (via AccUpdater) the update. AccUpdater still shows it as needing to be updated. :(

Any thoughts on where I go from here?

Mike

Try deleting that Oaktree.Accordance.Mod.plist for AccUpdater again and seeing if Accordance now creates an accurate list of the modules that need updating. (If the list is opened and saved in any other program, Accordance cannot write over it.) However, Dake clearly does not need updating, and if none of the modules actually need updating, I would not worry about it.

Try deleting that Oaktree.Accordance.Mod.plist for AccUpdater again and seeing if Accordance now creates an accurate list of the modules that need updating. (If the list is opened and saved in any other program, Accordance cannot write over it.) However, Dake clearly does not need updating, and if none of the modules actually need updating, I would not worry about it.

Sorry, I hesitate to say this but I do not have a 'Oaktree.Accordance.Mod.plist'. I've looked in both <User>< Library><Preferences> and the root Library. I've also done repeated searches and nothing like it can be found.http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

I would like to get this to work, Helen, as it is obviously an effective way to keep up to date and avoids all the cross checking I've been doing up to now.

Mike

Archived