Searching symbols in NA28 apparatus

simoncrisp

I would like to search for punctuation references in the apparatus to NA28 (e.g. the string at end of the apparatus for John 13.12), but I can't see how to do this. I tried copying and pasting the string to the search window and searching on Signs/Abbreviations, but this gives an error message. Can anyone help me with this?

We can search for any character in a text by placing a period before the character (e.g. .;). If you are looking for a sigla, rather than a punctuation mark, use the MSS font. It is available in Window>Character>MSS.

The Search Entry box is not currently (11.0.4) correctly displaying this font. I have just reported it as a bug. The search will work, though.

• Like 1

We can search for any character in a text by placing a period before the character (e.g. . ;). If you are looking for a sigla, rather than a punctuation mark, use the MSS font. It is available in Window>Character>MSS.

The Search Entry box is not currently (11.0.4) correctly displaying this font. I have just reported it as a bug. The search will work, though.

Good to know

Greetings

Fabian 

Thanks for this - very helpful. Actually the siglum I need (raised colon) isn't in the MSS font, but copy and paste works when I preface it with a period.

Now I have another question: I can't see how to display a list of the search results. I can see how to get the statistics in graph or table form, but not how to output a list of the actual occurrences found (e.g. all the occurrences of raised colon in the apparatus to the Gospel of John). Could you help me with this please?

If you mean a list of the verse references, simply set the text pane to view as References Only.

I'm not sure how to do this (sorry to be so dim). At the moment I have the number of hits at the top of the text pane, and the hits are highlighted in red in the text pane -- but I still have to scroll through all the apparatus manually to find where the hits are

Oh, in the apparatus, you would choose to display as paragraphs in the gear menu in the top right of the pane.

Alternately, right-click in the Search Text and choose Show Text As>References Only

post-29215-0-51965300-1423581925_thumb.png

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Display as paragraphs seems to give me what I need. But the right-click option doesn't seem to work for apparatus?

True, Simon, but I wasn't sure whether you were searching in the text or the apparatus itself. I figured I might as well add the method for displaying the text search as references.