“in LXX (chiefly) for עברית"

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

I'd like to request A Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament by G. Abbott-Smith.

It is probably the book I miss the most from Logos, for its phrase, “in LXX (chiefly) for עברית" (i.e., the Hebrew word translated by the LXX).

Edit: Here is a screenshot from the Logos version:

post-32543-0-62960100-1423764397_thumb.png

Regards,

Michel

Edited by Michel Gilbert
  • Like 2

Not bad. It reminds me a bit of the second volume of Muraoka's A Greek English Lexicon of the Setuagint, namely the "A Greek≈Hebrew/Aramaic Two-way Index to the Septuagint."

Hi Peter,

I agree. If they ever offer Muraoka's lexicon, they should link the index to the main part, so we could see in an instant what we can see in Abbott-Smith.

I would put these works at the top of my priority list.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Hey Michel,

I wonder where the information comes from for these admittedly very nice to have notes, and in particular I wonder to what extent it agrees with or contradicts the MT-LXX Parallel Module which Accordance has and would seem to be able to provide this sort of information. Of course if the source isn't primarily comparison between LXX and the MT then all bets are off I would guess.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Hi Daniel,

It was the standard NT lexicon for English speakers before BDAG replaced it. I use it for lexicography - I learn meanings of NT words in Hebrew first, English second. I usually consult it first, then read the larger BDAG entry.

Of course, I use other tools for serious text critical work - mss, critical editions, lexicons, reference grammars, Tov's parallel MT-LXX, and Accordance's Syntax Database.

Regards,

Michel

Thanx Michel. I'd not heard of this lexicon until your post and I rely on BDAG and LSJ for Greek, supplemented with others on occasion. But I'm all for more dictionaries whatever the language - I have a complete Oxford, a Websters III and a recent Macquarie in print for English.

This "I learn meanings of NT words in Hebrew first, English second" is interesting. Not sure I'll ever get to that though I now know horse, house and a few others in all three so who knows .....

Thx

D

Hi Daniel,

If it were up to me, students would learn to read the Hebrew Bible, then the Septuagint, and then the New Testament.  :)

Regards

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

+1

• 2 years later...
On 2/12/2015 at 11:32 AM, Michel Gilbert said:

Hi,

I'd like to request A Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament by G. Abbott-Smith.

It is probably the book I miss the most, for its phrase “in LXX (chiefly) for עברית" (i.e., the Hebrew word translated by the LXX).

What a wonderful surprise to find that it is included in today’s new LSB module, and that it works with the Greek NT.

Thank you very much!

Michel

• Like 4

I particularly like the linking of the Hebrew words to the BDB (abridged).

Legacy Standard Bible, from the nasb 1995 line, distinct from the nasb 2020. The OT is yet incomplete. Check lsbible.org.

Thx

D