#1 EricInSeattle

EricInSeattle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

It would be nice to have the option of viewing the Peshitta Old Testament with standard Hebrew fonts, in the same manner as the New Testament.  It shouldn't be a big deal--just do a search and replace for 22 Unicode characters (perhaps a few more than 22, given the vowels).

Not only would this make the Peshitta version more accessible, but it would facilitate comparing the texts of the Masoretic versus Peshitta traditions.

#2 Peter Brylov Christensen

Peter Brylov Christensen

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament Exegesis, The Ancient Near East, the Hamito-Semitic languages, Ancient Greek, Mythology
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

I agree with your final point, Eric - for comparative searches it would be a really useful feature, especially with the Aramaic parts of the Old Testament. In terms of accessibility, I find that the Estrangela script is very easy to both learn and read, though, seeing that many of the letters look a lot like their Hebrew counterparts.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Accordance Version: 11.0.8
Hardware: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (medio 2012)
Operating System: OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks.

#3 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,652 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

It would be nice to have the option of viewing the Peshitta Old Testament with standard Hebrew fonts, in the same manner as the New Testament.  It shouldn't be a big deal--just do a search and replace for 22 Unicode characters (perhaps a few more than 22, given the vowels).

Not only would this make the Peshitta version more accessible, but it would facilitate comparing the texts of the Masoretic versus Peshitta traditions.

Interesting; I had not thought of this from a text-comparison perspective. I often wondered about the usefulness of having the NT portion in the Hebrew script/font since most people that are in any way interested in the Peshitta also know Syriac.

I think this might be worth discussing with some of our resident scholars, and developers to see how difficult it would be to implement. Keep in mind it adds more maintenance for updates, error corrections, etc.; that alone may deter this.

Thanks for the feedback.

• David Harris and Peter Brylov Christensen like this

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development

#4 HansK

HansK

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Bible History & Interpretation, Legal metaphors, Nespresso
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Nice suggestion  :D

#5 J_Kean22

J_Kean22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

I also agree. As Eric already stated, having the OT Peshitta in a Hebrew font would make the Peshitta more accessible and would allow greater ease for comparing the two textual traditions.

Also, having the OT Peshitta in a Hebrew font on your screen paralleled to the OT in Syriac script would make it much easier for those wanting to learn the Syriac script.

#6 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,222 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

I certainly support this idea. Identical fonts means Accordance's "Compare Texts" and "Display text differences" would both work, too.

• David Harris and Binder like this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#7 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Original languages, math, culture, Qumran, calendrical systems
  • Accordance Version:10.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Any updates to this? I too am hoping to view Syriac texts with an more common square Aramaic font.  It seems nothing more than choosing font, or choosing font size.  The option to view in the font of preference would be great.

No biggie if you have to drop of any vowel pointing to do this.  For every 1 person that knows or will learn the Syriac script, there are dozens that wish to view the text with the normal "Hebrew" font.

All the best!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Peshitta, Old Testament, Hebrew font

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users