Peshitta Old Testament

EricInSeattle

It would be nice to have the option of viewing the Peshitta Old Testament with standard Hebrew fonts, in the same manner as the New Testament.  It shouldn't be a big deal--just do a search and replace for 22 Unicode characters (perhaps a few more than 22, given the vowels).

Not only would this make the Peshitta version more accessible, but it would facilitate comparing the texts of the Masoretic versus Peshitta traditions.

• Like 4

I agree with your final point, Eric - for comparative searches it would be a really useful feature, especially with the Aramaic parts of the Old Testament. In terms of accessibility, I find that the Estrangela script is very easy to both learn and read, though, seeing that many of the letters look a lot like their Hebrew counterparts.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

It would be nice to have the option of viewing the Peshitta Old Testament with standard Hebrew fonts, in the same manner as the New Testament.  It shouldn't be a big deal--just do a search and replace for 22 Unicode characters (perhaps a few more than 22, given the vowels).

Not only would this make the Peshitta version more accessible, but it would facilitate comparing the texts of the Masoretic versus Peshitta traditions.

Interesting; I had not thought of this from a text-comparison perspective. I often wondered about the usefulness of having the NT portion in the Hebrew script/font since most people that are in any way interested in the Peshitta also know Syriac.

I think this might be worth discussing with some of our resident scholars, and developers to see how difficult it would be to implement. Keep in mind it adds more maintenance for updates, error corrections, etc.; that alone may deter this.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

Nice suggestion  :D

• 6 months later...

I also agree. As Eric already stated, having the OT Peshitta in a Hebrew font would make the Peshitta more accessible and would allow greater ease for comparing the two textual traditions.

Also, having the OT Peshitta in a Hebrew font on your screen paralleled to the OT in Syriac script would make it much easier for those wanting to learn the Syriac script.

• Like 2

I certainly support this idea. Identical fonts means Accordance's "Compare Texts" and "Display text differences" would both work, too.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Any updates to this? I too am hoping to view Syriac texts with an more common square Aramaic font.  It seems nothing more than choosing font, or choosing font size.  The option to view in the font of preference would be great.

No biggie if you have to drop of any vowel pointing to do this.  For every 1 person that knows or will learn the Syriac script, there are dozens that wish to view the text with the normal "Hebrew" font.

All the best!