Search HALOT for Noun Patterns

David Knoll

I am trying to search for all the lexical entries in HALOT of the form qattāh (geminate) like the noun גַּנָּה I looked for ?ַ?ָּה but the results are not satisfactory. What am I doing wrong?

To find geminate forms in a text module use ??(=1)ה (in the reverse direction) or ??(=1)?. This does not work in tools whose search capabilities are different. However your example is not geminate but has a dagesh in the nun, so maybe I am not correctly following what you want to find.

To find geminate forms in a text module use ??(=1)ה (in the reverse direction) or ??(=1)?. This does not work in tools whose search capabilities are different. However your example is not geminate but has a dagesh in the nun, so maybe I am not correctly following what you want to find.

The dagesh signifies the second radical. I merely want to search a lexeme with the vowel pattern X patah , x qamatz + dagesh, heh. Is that possible?

Edited by David Knoll

Yes it is, in texts, not tools. You need an equal sign before the expression to include the vowels in your search. The order of the dagesh and vowel must be correct, and if this is a search of inflected forms you must enclose the expression in quote marks.

Yes it is, in texts, not tools. You need an equal sign before the expression to include the vowels in your search. The order of the dagesh and vowel must be correct, and if this is a search of inflected forms you must enclose the expression in quote marks.

Perfect! Thank you! The dagesh precedes the vowel if anyone comes across this in the future.