Hebrew test in MS Word preview

R. Mansfield

In the screenshot below, I've pasted Genesis 1:1-5 using two separate methods: as a paragraph and verse-by-verse. In both instances, the text has wrapped correctly as far as I can tell. Does anyone see anything displaying incorrectly that I've missed?

I cannot find a quick method of reversing text direction for typing as can be easily done in a program like Mellel.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 6.14.26 PM.png

By the way, the MS Office Preview for the Mac is available for free (no Office 365 subscription required), and you can use it alongside Office 2011. 

http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview

• Like 2

Nothing major - it seems to be cutting off the top-most pixels og each line, so lameds don't extend above the line properly, and holems have disappeared completely. But I'm view this on an iPad; someone on a proper computer might see a better rendering.

That seems to be a font issue. I was using Cardo in the first screenshot. Here's the same text with the font changed to Arial.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 6.48.23 PM.png

Hello 

Right above is a smiley in the preview version. There we all can give a feedback. The more the better. 

Greetings

Fabian

Here's Cardo at 18:

post-29215-0-62127300-1425649438_thumb.png

And my export preferences (Note that "Reverse direction of Hebrew characters" has to be unchecked before "Export all characters in Unicode format" is checked.).

post-29215-0-98589000-1425649599_thumb.png

I think fhe font size was an issue with mine and probably why I didn't notice the top getting cut off. I enlarged the font for the screenshot at the last minute.

All in all, I'm hoping that Word on the Mac may finally be rid of all the headaches for right to left languages. As good as other programs are, Word is still the standard format, for better or worse.

Well, bad news here. Word does not properly render RTL when typing Hebrew, and there appears to be no option to control the direction of the text.

I am able to paste from Accordance as others reported. I do not however see the relevance of the 'reverse direction of Hebrew characters' option as it is not applicable for Unicode and makes no difference whether checked or unchecked when pasting from Accordance.

Rick, thanks for pointing this out. It's what I always believed, too.

However, he first time I pasted into Word 2016 (Mac) I got scrambled text. When I unchecked "Reverse order..." and re-pasted it came through just fine.

Now, I just rechecked and the change seems to do nothing. It works just fine either way.

So, I am trying to figure out how the text got scrambled in the first paste! :wacko: [Trying to do too many things at once, perhaps?]

Sorry to digress from the main theme (Hebrew), to note that the new Preview version does not yet support Services and thus will not support the auto-insertion. That's sad because otherwise I like the new look of Office 2016.