Being able to do searches that ignore verse splits in Biblia Hebraica

Peter Brylov Christensen

Hi there!

I recently did a search looking for all the places where a qatal is followed by a wayyiqtol within the same verse, which went fine. Then I wanted to do the same search again - but this time ignoring the constraints of the verses. For instance, the last verb in Gen 2:2 is אשׂה, and the first word in Gen 2:3 is ויברך. This will not show up on a "regular" search for a qatal followed by a wayyiqtol due to the verses splitting the text up. Anyway, I could only get so far by being able to search for every qatal being the last word in a verse but no further than that. The Context slider then helped me a little so that I could check the following verses manually for wayyiqtols, but it is a whole lot of work to go through them all - there are over 1000 verses to check.

So my question is: Is it possible to do searches where the verse splits are ignored? Of course, if the verses are to be ignored in the search, another problem arises as to listing the results properly.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Edited by Pchris

Peter, in your Search Tab that is linked to the construct, you can add a search condition using the (+) button, and specify your Scope to be Chapter, or otherwise.  This may lead to some wider results than you were hoping (I'm not sure what your construct looks like), but that could be accounted for with a Clause/Phrase marker or a large WITHIN x words.

• Like 1

Ah, I didn't do a construct - I did it using the search bar and 4 windows linking them together. I'll give it a try. Thank you, Joel!

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

I'll list my searches here for good measure:

In the first window, BH1:

׃.@ [sUFFIX] [VERB perfect] <or> ׃.@ [VERB perfect]

In the second window, BH2:

<FIELD BEGIN> <within 1 words> [VERB wawConsecutive] ו

I then tried to combine the info of the two in some other windows with Biblia Hebraica, but I couldn't go any further.
Edited by Pchris

Hi Joel

I managed to pull it off  - what I did was going back to my original search criteria for qatals followed by wayyiqtols - and then choosing "Book" as scope, like you suggested. Works perfectly. Thanks again!

Oh, and these were my original search criteria (from the right to the left):

First window with Biblia Hebraica (BH1): [sUFFIX]  [VERB perfect] <OR> [VERB perfect]

Second window with Biblia Hebraica: [VERB wawConsecutive] <WITHIN 2 WORDS> <FOLLOWED BY> [LINK BH1]

Range: "No Aramaic"

Scope: Book

Bracketed Words: Included

With kind regards

Peter Christensen