Questions From A Beginner - Accordance 11 vs Logos 6 Original Language Study

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

I have been following this thread with interest.

It's always helpful to know how our customers perceive us. We appreciate your compliments and learn from your criticisms. It's not surprising to me that some prefer one program, others another, still others use both (if for different tasks).

By way of help, let me offer this list for evaluating Bible software programs in general:

1. Search engine performance (stability, speed, precision, features, platforms supported)

2. Price (initial and upgrades)

3. Resources available for purchase (quality, number, ease of use, cost, accuracy, support for a specific area of interest)

4. Training (quality, availability, cost)

5. Support (responsiveness, effectiveness, overall attitude)

6. Community (Is it friendly? Helpful? Active? Enthusiastic?)

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 13 April 2015 - 07:44 AM.

• Michael J. Bolesta, Julia Falling, Frank and 5 others like this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#42 maverick777

maverick777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Accordance Version:Non-user
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

I have been following this thread with interest.

It's always helpful to know how our customers perceive us. We appreciate your compliments and learn from your criticisms. It's not surprising to me that some prefer one program, others another, still others use both (if for different tasks).

By way of help, let me offer this list for evaluating Bible software programs in general:

1. Search engine performance (stability, speed, precision, features, platforms supported)

2. Price (initial and upgrades)

3. Resources available for purchase (quality, number, ease of use, cost, accuracy, support for a specific area of interest)

4. Training (quality, availability, cost)

5. Support (responsiveness, effectiveness, overall attitude)

6. Community (Is it friendly? Helpful? Active? Enthusiastic?)

I appreciate the feedback so far and the lively discussion this seemed to have started.  I agree that evaluation of each program is more than just the software itself and I do see the value of Accordance and how it will fit into my toolbox in the future.

1.  Search engine performance - So far I think Accordance is faster, but Logos appears to be deeper.  I call it a draw and both are immensely useful.  I'm still somewhat overwhelmed with the results in both so this will be further evaluated over time.

2.  Price.  For the resources wanted to start with, Logos was cheaper only because the sales team gave me a large discount.  Accordance may have been able to match the offers, but I decided to choose Logos as my library software.  I had a lot of commentaries already built up over the years due to community pricing so I wanted to keep as much in one library as I could if costs were close.  This is nothing against Accordance.  I think the base packages under $1000 are excellent values for Accordance.  Whereas I felt Logos only met it's full potential starting with the gold package.  I ended up with the platinum package only because it was tied to a very significant discount on other items I wanted like NICOT/NICNT.

3.  Resources Available For Purchase.  For my areas of interest, Logos won this category hands down.  Especially when I factored in resources available in the growing Vyrso catalogue.  Quantity of resources has always been Logos' strong point.  Accordance a vast amount of very useful resources, so it's not like Accordance is weak in this area.  It's just Logos is slightly stronger in my novice opinion.

4.  Training.  This is an area that I feel is clearly in favor of Accordance.  Logos has training, but it cost big bucks.  Accordance has a lot of free training videos and resources.  

5.  Support.  I feel this is a draw.  Both companies have been responsive.

6.  Community.  I also fee this is a draw at this point in time.  

So all in all, both software have their place in a person's toolbox.  They'll both be in mine.  Accordance will just have to wait a bit longer since I'm looking to purchase a home at the moment which puts any further software investments on hold.

Again I appreciate the ongoing discussion and feedback.  I've learned quite a bit since I first started this thread.  It's no longer an Accordance vs Logos question.  It's now a "how can I best use both Logos and Accordance?".  At this point in time my workflow is to utilize Accordance for original language study including Dead Sea Scrolls research and to use Logos for all other Bible Study activities since I plan to have as much as my library in there as possible.

#43 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Twitter:mcyklist
  • Location:EU. Inter/multidisciplinary humanities such as History of Ideas, Ethics for divorced men; singing; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:On laptops been sticking to 11.2.5 - uses slightly less battery than 12 and can load all my purchases. 11 had a great Info Pane, partial download of Collections had already become possible, settings-menus for text preferences, library sorting, Research. I have extra Accordance 12.3.4 licenses to gift
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Today I added COPTIC NEW TESTAMENTS as well as Dunn on COLOSSIANS & PHILEMON in the NIGTC -series, to my wishlist.
Last Month I added DICTIONARY OF EPIGRAPHIC HEBREW to Wish List (there was a sale on a couple of more expensive bit more archaeological modules with the texts without morphological tagging as well as a bundled product with the tagging and including the dictionary but I decided all those were too expensive/contained too much I wouldn't use as I was not overly keen on paying for morphological tagging).

I've now got the BENSIRA-C -module I mentioned, it cost me $39.90 during a sale:

I have:

Sirach-Canonical

BENSIRA-C: $49.90
and
LXXG-Sirach
LXXG-SIR: $79.90
... on my Wish List and I bought myself a gift card that covers them if there's a 20% off sale sometime in the future.

Previously edited by Unix, 10 April 2015 - 2:25 AM local time.

• Timothy Jenney likes this

March. 4. 2019: Not room for constantly carrying each device for without hole-damage to bag or indexcards to carry tablet or all cell phones. I.e. desk phone guy and laptop "gymnast". FB (always scroll down enough and remember my actual positions are not stated with precision but civil status is at all times correct:https://www.facebook...100009160762403 ...add me there for photos, perhaps mention on Messenger it was from the link here so that You qualify. If You ever actually confirm Your interest or tell me to call back, do so by sending a brief SMS who You are thank You (the latter is they key for how You with foresight confirm to me that You are mine! And find me on Insta!

My new group welcomes contributions and constructive criticism of and listing of commentaries, please ask to join, no control questions atm, erudite yet concise is the name of the group - expect users from on here to have academic knowledge and scholars to feel at home: https://www.facebook...4594/?ref=br_rs

Hardware in constant use: AMD (only CPU manufacturer and developer I recommend for everyone!) A9 equipped 15.6" monitor laptop with two batteries, Dual Core, DDR4 RAM; older desktop with Intel G2030 CPU. Both have 12 GB RAM and not even the desktop PC is entirely physically tied to my home in any way

Am in Poland on a trip in the Spring of 2019 North of Krakow; and Rome Summer 2019

Am growing only my Accordance and print libraries, further dismissing what else to maintain. Next purchase: the entire BNPauly series
During my life I've at various levels used 15 languages, sang in half of them

EU. Fine culture Culte - busy all Monday evenings near the Royal Library and getting private tuition usually Sunday daytime one hour at the Royal Music Academy, additionally as a group as well some Saturdays daytime

Have got a subscription on DCH in print format, €75 per volume. Those who live here: I will welcome You to this City by showing the angles everyone misses and give You a gift: One or two print Bibles or an account substituting the need for You to have a long term strategic shopping just to get started, and the uniqueness of an account will depend on how deeply You will get to do things together with me and share our intellectual and physical training passions together.
I'm a vegan

Biggest title 2017: OTL and parts of NTL. Biggest title during 2018: https://twitter.com/...874763110559744 Biggest so far under 2019: NICOT/NICNT. I'm buying about 11 Basic Starter Collections to gift away and four copies of the Catholic Documents with Bibles likewise /now during the sale March 2019
I can safely be encouraged
Healthy vendor lock-in
https://www.accordan...e-2#entry124374

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users