Workspace

Abramo

It would be nice if "Workspace" would automatically remember workspaces set up by the users in the past. This would allow to return to them easily and quickly and would almost make "Add Workspace..." a redundant feature.  

If I am understanding your suggestion...

You can save workspaces that you have setup.  You can also tell Accordance via Preferences which of these workspaces to load upon launch.  You can have the last session open by default or choose one of your custom workspaces that you have saved.  

To save a workspace you have customized choose "save" from the File menu.

You can select "Open" and choose a saved workspace file from within the Mac Finder window.  Or you can navigate to the "Open Workspace" menu and it will show you a list of the workspaces you have created, named and saved.

It would be nice if "Workspace" would automatically remember workspaces set up by the users in the past. This would allow to return to them easily and quickly and would almost make "Add Workspace..." a redundant feature.  

The problem with an auto recall function is that Accordance would only remember the Workspace's final state. Since most users change their standard Workspaces as they work, this wouldn't be very helpful.

Now, Accordance already has an automatic recall, if that is really what you want. Check Preferences>General>Startup>Last Session.

We've actually already implemented a minor improvement in the next rev of Accordance, where new Workspaces are automatically saved as a favorite when saved, so this may help.

• Like 1

I have many a number of attempts to use the workspace functions.

Many folks have helped me on the forum by making suggestions and giving instructions.

Thank you for that.

However I have not yet found the wprkspace functions and features to be useful.

Nothing ever gave me the reulst that I desired and often resulted in loss of data that I wanted to keep.

Don't get me wrong I love this tool but the workspace features offer no advantage that I can see.

Certainly many folks will disagree.

My issues could be;

1) I don't really understand what I want the tool to so it can never meet my needs

2) I do understand what I want but the tool just doesn't do that

3) an anomaly in the time space continuum prevents it from working at this location

4) I do understand what I want and the tool does it but I have not set the preferences properly

I would like to always open to the file workspace_0 (a.k.a workspace) and only workspace_0 when starting and at the last state of use of that file.

During my session I would like to be able to save the workspace as some other name say workspace_1.

At the moment I save as workspace_1 the state of workspace_0 is stored so that next time I start Accordance workspace_0 will open to that state. If workspace_0 remains open and editable after this point then it state is saved when it is actually closed so that it can start up in the state of the last session

During a session I would like to be able to open workspace_1 and use it while workspace_0 remains open also. When I save workspace_1 or close it or close the session then the state of workspace_1 should be preserved so that next time I open workspace_1 it is opened to that state.

When I start Accordance the next time after all this it opens to workspace_0 in the state that I last used it in and does not open workspace_1 even if I had opened it during my last session or even if workspace_1 was in play when the session was closed.

I never figured out how to do this so I never use workspaces. I have saved some but never use them because it kept getting messy.

Dave

Edited by dlrude

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the above answers. I have another problem regarding the hebrew workspace:

1. I open a new hebrew workspace

2. I put into the first column to the right: "PRONOUN demonstrative"

3. I hit the search-button

4. Result: "The selected grammatical tag cannot be found in the "BHS-T" text.

Strange...

PS: Originally I wanted to search for the following word-chain "no-article + noun + article + demonstrative" (cf. Ez 42,9: לְּשָׁכוֹת הָאֵלֶּה), but Accordance did not return any results.

I found this tag only in the Samaritan Pentateuch Gen 45:13. It is however, supported in the Peshitta which is why you see it offered.

If you look at the tagging of הָאֵלֶּה you will see that it is an adjective.

I have noticed that הָאֵלֶּה is parsed as an adjective. One can indeed consider demonstrative pronouns as adjectives at least in hebrew, greek, latin etc.

But why then does the workspace allow to search for "PRONOUN demonstrative" if what commonly is understood as "demonstrative pronouns" is not included? Plus: I believe that there should be a way in Accordance to find demonstrative pronouns.

(This is no criticism: Accordance is an absolutely fantastic and superb program)

Since there are no words tagged as demonstrative pronouns in Hebrew, you cannot search for them. The tag is used in the Syriac Peshitta, and all the semitic texts share the same tags in the dialogs, whether or not they apply to the text in question.

I would like to always open to the file workspace_0 (a.k.a workspace) and only workspace_0 when starting and at the last state of use of that file.

During my session I would like to be able to save the workspace as some other name say workspace_1.

At the moment I save as workspace_1 the state of workspace_0 is stored so that next time I start Accordance workspace_0 will open to that state. If workspace_0 remains open and editable after this point then it state is saved when it is actually closed so that it can start up in the state of the last session

During a session I would like to be able to open workspace_1 and use it while workspace_0 remains open also. When I save workspace_1 or close it or close the session then the state of workspace_1 should be preserved so that next time I open workspace_1 it is opened to that state.

When I start Accordance the next time after all this it opens to workspace_0 in the state that I last used it in and does not open workspace_1 even if I had opened it during my last session or even if workspace_1 was in play when the session was closed.

I never figured out how to do this so I never use workspaces. I have saved some but never use them because it kept getting messy.

Dave:

Accordance doesn't do things exactly as you like, but I think you can make it work pretty close to what you want. I would do this:

Set Preferences: General to open to Last Session.

Save (as a backup) a basic version of your main workspace (_0).

If you create another workspace that you want to save, do so under another name (_1). If you make changes to it that you want to keep, select Save. Close it before you quit Accordance but keep _0 open when you quit.

_0 will open at its last state when you reopen Accordance. _1 will be available to you any time you want to open it, with any saved changes.