Help with KJVS and BHS-W4

Tom Castle

Hi all.

I am studying Ps 8:4. I decided to take a peek at the Hebrew text. (Keep in mind here that I am VERY VERY novice with Hebrew). When comparing the verse designations (ie. Ps 8:4 in KJVS to Ps 8:4 in BHS) I could not get it to make any sense. The reason was that Ps 8:4 in KJVS is actually designated as Ps 8:5 in BHS.

Is this incorrect or is my ignorance of Hebrew causing me problems here??

Edit: I also noticed the same thing when comparing the Septuagint.

Tom,

This has to do with how the Psalm superscriptions are handled. Psalm 8, like many (but not all) Psalms has a superscription naming it as a Davidic psalm, and providing instructions for the director of music. When a Psalm has a superscription, the BHS and the LXX consider the superscription to be verse 1. Most (print) English translations put these superscriptions in italics at the head of the Psalm, but do not assign them a verse number. (One exception to this is the New American Bible, which treats the superscription as verse 1, although in my print edition it is formatted in italics).

In Accordance, if a text does not assign a verse number to a superscription, Accordance assigns it the verse number 0. You can see this in your screen shot. If you look up a specific verse (e.g. psalm 8:4,) Accordance pulls up the correct corresponding verses, even though the verse numbers are different. (e.g. Psalm 8:4 KJVS is paired with Psalm 8:5 BHS)

Note that there are some errors in the verse matching of the NET in the last few chapters of Isaiah. Helen knows about it, and it will be fixed in the next revision of the NET.

Hope this helps,

Lorinda

Lorinda is correct. The main point is that Accordance handles all these differences "seamlessly." The verse at the top of each pane always matches the other verses at the top of the pane. So don't worry what the verse numbers are, just put the different versions in the panes, and compare the top verse.

Thanks to both of you.

Archived