NEW from Carta Jerusalem: Echoes from the Past & The Raging Torrent

R. Mansfield

Accordance users already familiar with quality Carta Jerusalem titles such as The Sacred Bridge will be pleased to see two new inscription-related titles added to the Accordance Library: The Raging Torrent and Echoes from the Past.

Introductory pricing available through April 20, 2015

For more information see today's blog post

Echoes from the Past.png

Raging Torrent.png

• Like 4

Got say this got my attention. These look cool. The Raging Torrents looks especially interesting but I have a question. How much Babylonian and Assyrian transliteration of the texts is present in the volume ? Is each inscription presented in transcription of the original with the translation in English or is it mostly images of the original accompanied by the translation ?

Thx

D

Daniel,

Echoes from the Past includes transliterations into square Hebrew script, both with and without reconstructed vocalization, and English translation.

The Raging Torrent is only English translations, with introductions and notes. Cogan just came out with a companion volume, Bound for Exile: Israelites and Judeans Under Imperial Yoke, which covers the period of the Exile.

The images are for illustration purposes, and are not useful for study of the original inscriptions.

A.D.

Edited by A.D. Riddle

Thanx for this. I didn't expect the photos to be more than illustrative but was rather hoping for transliterations in the Torrent. Oh well.

Thx

D

Do these contain inscriptions not included in the other inscription modules , the Hebrew and north west Semitic ones?

Certainly the Raging Torrent covers material not found in the Inscriptions module, but I am not competent to say how much overlap there is with Context of Scripture. It seems to me that Echoes includes more inscriptions than our text module, but of course the Hebrew text is not tagged. It does offer translations and discussions as well as images. Both volumes should be extremely valuable for studies of early written semitic language and the culture that produced it.

Thanks, Helen. That is really helpful. I also found these two reviews, both positive:

Raging Torrent reviewed by David Vanderhooft: https://www.academia.edu/3312992/Review_of_M._Cogan_The_Raging_Torrent_Historical_Inscriptions_from_Assyria_and_Babylonia_Relating_to_Ancient_Israel_JNES_Vol._72_No._1_April_2013_pp._116-118_ 

Vanderhooft notes that 12 of the 47 inscriptions are not included in The Context of Scripture

Echoes from the Past reviewed by Matthieu Richelle: 

http://www.jhsonline.org/reviews/reviews_new/review464.htm 

Edited by Brian W. Davidson