Re-Code Rabbinic Translations as TEXTS

DGill

I would like to request the developers re-code rabbinic modules: T-YERU-E (Jerusalem Talmud English), T-BAV-EF (Babylonian English Folio), and TALMUD-N (Talmud English, Neusner), etc. from TOOLS to TEXTS so that they can scroll together with their related rabbinic TEXTS modules: MISH-T (Mishnah Tagged, Kaufmann), MISH-N (Mishnah English), and MISHNAH (Mishnah, Eshkol), etc.

At present, other Extra-biblical source modules are coded as TEXTS (whether original language texts or English translations of them): DSS, Pseud, Philo, Josephus, NT Apoc, Apost Fathers, etc. Thus, the precedent has been established; and this separation of the translations (as TOOLS) from their TEXTS breaks with precedent and reduces the ease and value of the modules.

PS: I sure do love Accordance 11--great work! This request would make it even better. :)

• Like 1

I believe the very reason they were developed as reference tools was to allow them to scroll with the Mishnah. They are, after all, conventionally considered commentaries and expansions of it. 

People can add them as parallel panes by choosing Add Parallel>Reference Tool>. Is this not working for you?

Thanks for weighing in Dr J.

Let me clarify.

- Because Mishnah modules: MISH-T (Mishnah Tagged, Kaufmann), MISH-N (Mishnah though an English translation), and MISHNAH (Mishnah, Eshkol), are coded as TEXTS, and they scroll together.

- Talmud module T- BAV-F (Babylonian Talmud Folio) is a TEXT; yet T-BAV-EF (Babylonian English Folio) though coded as a TOOL, does scroll with it.

• BUT, TALMUD-N ([babylonian] Talmud English, Neusner), a TOOL, does not scroll with the Hebrew (Bab Talmud). It cannot be added through "Add Parallel" as a "Reference Tool." It has not been coded in a way that it displays in this list. It is possible to add it as a separate pane to a workspace. But it will not scroll with the Talmud text and translations.

Blessings,

Debbie

Fascinating!  Thanks, Deborah!

It looks like the Bab Talmud Folio will ONLY scroll with the Bab Talmud Folio (English). The Mishna (all versions) and Tosefta (Heb) will scroll with Neusner's English translations of both the Jerusalem Talmud and the Babylonian Talmud. However, neither group will scroll with the other—and I have no idea why.!

Perhaps one of our developers will weigh in and explain why. Now I want to know, too!

The folio versions are simply indexed by folio numbers and thus scroll together, T-BAV-F and T-BAV-EF. The text of Talmud-N is identical to the T-BAV-EF, but is indexed by the Mishna "versification" so that it scrolls with all versions of the Mishna, and so does Neusner's Yerushalmi. If we ever get the original Yerushalmi we'll probably produce a folio version of the Neusner as well.

• Like 1

Thank you both!

Helen, I got them to scroll as you explained above (in separate panes):

- the T-BAV folios together, 

- the Mishnah modules with the Talmud-N; and

- the Jerusalem Talmud with Talmud-N.  

I'm set for now! 

If we ever get the original Yerushalmi we'll probably produce a folio version of the Neusner as well.

It will be great. I look forward for it.

Thanks.