#1 DGill

DGill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

I would like to request the developers re-code rabbinic modules: T-YERU-E (Jerusalem Talmud English), T-BAV-EF (Babylonian English Folio), and TALMUD-N (Talmud English, Neusner), etc. from TOOLS to TEXTS so that they can scroll together with their related rabbinic TEXTS modules: MISH-T (Mishnah Tagged, Kaufmann), MISH-N (Mishnah English), and MISHNAH (Mishnah, Eshkol), etc.

At present, other Extra-biblical source modules are coded as TEXTS (whether original language texts or English translations of them): DSS, Pseud, Philo, Josephus, NT Apoc, Apost Fathers, etc. Thus, the precedent has been established; and this separation of the translations (as TOOLS) from their TEXTS breaks with precedent and reduces the ease and value of the modules.

PS: I sure do love Accordance 11--great work! This request would make it even better. :)

• jaapcramer likes this

#2 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

I believe the very reason they were developed as reference tools was to allow them to scroll with the Mishnah. They are, after all, conventionally considered commentaries and expansions of it. 

People can add them as parallel panes by choosing Add Parallel>Reference Tool>. Is this not working for you?

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#3 DGill

DGill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for weighing in Dr J.

Let me clarify.

- Because Mishnah modules: MISH-T (Mishnah Tagged, Kaufmann), MISH-N (Mishnah though an English translation), and MISHNAH (Mishnah, Eshkol), are coded as TEXTS, and they scroll together.

- Talmud module T- BAV-F (Babylonian Talmud Folio) is a TEXT; yet T-BAV-EF (Babylonian English Folio) though coded as a TOOL, does scroll with it.

• BUT, TALMUD-N ([Babylonian] Talmud English, Neusner), a TOOL, does not scroll with the Hebrew (Bab Talmud). It cannot be added through "Add Parallel" as a "Reference Tool." It has not been coded in a way that it displays in this list. It is possible to add it as a separate pane to a workspace. But it will not scroll with the Talmud text and translations.

Blessings,

Debbie

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

Fascinating!  Thanks, Deborah!

It looks like the Bab Talmud Folio will ONLY scroll with the Bab Talmud Folio (English). The Mishna (all versions) and Tosefta (Heb) will scroll with Neusner's English translations of both the Jerusalem Talmud and the Babylonian Talmud. However, neither group will scroll with the other—and I have no idea why.!

Perhaps one of our developers will weigh in and explain why. Now I want to know, too!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#5 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,864 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

The folio versions are simply indexed by folio numbers and thus scroll together, T-BAV-F and T-BAV-EF. The text of Talmud-N is identical to the T-BAV-EF, but is indexed by the Mishna "versification" so that it scrolls with all versions of the Mishna, and so does Neusner's Yerushalmi. If we ever get the original Yerushalmi we'll probably produce a folio version of the Neusner as well.

• Timothy Jenney likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#6 DGill

DGill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

Thank you both!

Helen, I got them to scroll as you explained above (in separate panes):

- the T-BAV folios together, 

- the Mishnah modules with the Talmud-N; and

- the Jerusalem Talmud with Talmud-N.  

I'm set for now! 

#7 peguard

peguard

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Studies, Archeology, Classical and Jazz music
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

If we ever get the original Yerushalmi we'll probably produce a folio version of the Neusner as well.

It will be great. I look forward for it.

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Misha, Talmud, Rabbinic, tools to texts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users