How do you use "combined texts"

mortenjensen

Hi all,

How do you use "combined texts" when doing research on the original languages? I would have liked my set of combined texts to be the primary pane - and do searches trough LXX and NA28, for instance.

As I understand it, you need to have an English text in the primary pane and then a "combined text"-pane can follow you when looking up in both testaments. But you cannot search for words in LXX and NA28 in one command, can you?

What is the logic behind not allowing combined-texts to form the primary pane?

Morten

Hi, Morton!

At present "combined texts" cannot be used in the primary pane. They are only available in a parallel pane. The Search text must be a single language and a single canon. The primary pane need not be in English, but it needs to span the entire range of whichever texts you want to combine in the parallel pane.

We considered trying to produce a combined text (your LXX and GNT combination was the one we discussed), but the tagging systems are just too different. We also figured there would be other issues. Which GNT? Which LXX? Why not Apostolic Fathers and a GNT? Or some other combination? How would we have to modify the analytics to accommodate these sorts of searches?

For now, the easiest way to do this is to set up a search in one tab (say NA28-T), then place the LXX in another tab and use the [LINK ?] command to tied the two searches together. What ever Search argument you place in the first pane will also be executed in the second pane. Each will have its own set of analytics.

Thanks, Tim,

Makes sense.

Morten

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Morton!

At present "combined texts" cannot be used in the primary pane. They are only available in a parallel pane. The Search text must be a single language and a single canon. The primary pane need not be in English, but it needs to span the entire range of whichever texts you want to combine in the parallel pane.

We considered trying to produce a combined text (your LXX and GNT combination was the one we discussed), but the tagging systems are just too different. We also figured there would be other issues. Which GNT? Which LXX? Why not Apostolic Fathers and a GNT? Or some other combination? How would we have to modify the analytics to accommodate these sorts of searches?

For now, the easiest way to do this is to set up a search in one tab (say NA28-T), then place the LXX in another tab and use the [LINK ?] command to tied the two searches together. What ever Search argument you place in the first pane will also be executed in the second pane. Each will have its own set of analytics.

I don't know anything about tagging issues, but so far as what texts to combine, that seems pretty simply. I'd venture to guess more than 90% of your Greek text users are using some edition of UBS/NA and Rahlfs. So then, a combined text of NA28 and LXX Rahlfs tagged would work perfectly for nearly every Greek language user. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything about tagging issues, but so far as what texts to combine, that seems pretty simply. I'd venture to guess more than 90% of your Greek text users are using some edition of UBS/NA and Rahlfs. So then, a combined text of NA28 and LXX Rahlfs tagged would work perfectly for nearly every Greek language user. 

I agree with your choices, though there are some that might not. However, the difference in tagging systems between the two texts is the real deal killer. I hope we eventually find some way to overcome it. Then I want a tagged Hebrew Bible (OT & NT)...