Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hi there

Is there a way to show the headings in the Bible? For example, in a hard copy ESV, there'll be little subheadings that briefly describe what is in the section. I can't find these in accordance.

Thanks

#2 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,486 posts
  • Interests:My grandsons Micah and Nate!
    Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Hi,

the simple answer is no, as they are not part of the Biblical text. This has been asked for previously, but has not been implemented. I have no idea if it on our development priorities at all.

You can approximate it by putting the “outlines of Bible Books” in parallel. But at the moment, that’s the best I can suggest.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator
Administrator, Accordance Exchange
Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#3 David Voth

David Voth

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:music, web design, photography, Spanish
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

Sometimes as in the case of the NIV they appear in the corresponding notes for the Bible.

David Voth

#4 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,624 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

This is a long-debated topic. I'll restate my opinion: I would like to see them as an option, not a default--something that could be turned on or off like red lettering. Personally, I like the headings because the help to visually break up the text. As it stands now, there's no way to tell from a quick glance where Matthew 28 ends and Mark 1 begins because the text runs together.
  • ukfraser, Jordan Gowing, Abram K-J and 3 others like this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#5 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,024 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:18 AM

The headings from the Outlines do appear in the Topic pane so if you keep that open you will always see them. We do plan to implement them in the text pane eventually.

• Julia Falling, Timothy Jenney, Jordan Gowing and 2 others like this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#6 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

Its interesting that even in the hard copy world, JPS and NRSV dont but JB and NIV do but they are different. More descisions for you down track, do you have standard headings for all translation or do you use the ones published or have you already decided to limit it to outline? Hope you have plenty of coffee at that meeting! Its just great we have a current workaround. ;o)

Ps outlines looks good as a parallel pane in iOS

Edited by ukfraser, 07 May 2015 - 12:37 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#7 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Twitter:mcyklist
  • Location:EU. Inter/multidisciplinary Humanities that have something to do with sustainability or correct comprehension of Peoples, including: 2nd Millennia BC, History of Ideas, History of 1902-1945 and reenactment of that era clothing, using LSJ for the Ancient Gk corpus (skipped BrillDAG since I couldn't afford it and it is still not under Accordance), might many Years from now visit a certain new cult on the Taiga in Siberia, Ethics for divorced men; singing; guiding; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:On the laptop 11.2.5 loads my books, uses slightly less battery than 12. 11 had a great Info Pane, partial download of Collections had already become possible, settings for text preferences suffice, library sorting, Research. I have a few extra Accordance 12.3.6 (and for Accordance version 2.0 for Android which is really GREAT and now with improved UI, and it is also for Accordance iPad 3.x) licenses to gift - still have Nov. 14.-23. 2019 and likely for a while, multiple copies left beyond november!
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:19 PM

I wish this would not be pursued in the forthcoming version 12, whether optional or not.

• Ιακοβ likes this

May 28. 2019: I had mentioned currencies in one comment here on the podcasts forum, my off-site elaboration of that is: https://www.christia...2#post-72312055
A new group where to discuss all things commentaries, join! Novices can learn from experts on library-building: https://www.facebook...90154717874594/
March. 4. 2019: Not room for constantly carrying each device for without hole-damage to bag or indexcards to carry tablet or all cell phones. I.e. desk phone guy and laptop "gymnast". FB (always scroll down enough and remember my actual positions are not stated with precision but civil status is at all times correct:
https://www.facebook...100009160762403 ...add me there for photos, perhaps mention on Messenger it was from the link here so that You qualify. If You ever actually confirm Your interest or tell me to call back, do so by sending a brief SMS who You are thank You (the latter is they key for how You with foresight confirm to me that You are mine! And find me on Insta!

My new group welcomes contributions and constructive criticism of and listing of commentaries, please ask to join, no control questions atm, erudite yet concise is the name of the group - expect users from on here to have academic knowledge and scholars to feel at home: https://www.facebook...4594/?ref=br_rs

The hardware I have in constant use is an AMD (only CPU manufacturer and developer I recommend for everyone!) A9 Dual Core equipped 15.6" monitor laptop with two batteries, DDR4 RAM; additionally I've got an older desktop with Intel G2030 CPU; both have 12 GB RAM.
Am growing only my Accordance and print libraries, further along that line dismissing what else to maintain. Next purchase: the entire BNPauly series

During my life I've at various levels used 15 languages, sang in half of them

EU. Fine Culture - busy all Monday evenings near the Royal Library and getting private tuition usually Sunday daytime one hour at the Royal Music Academy, additionally as a group as well some Saturdays daytime

Have got a subscription on DCH in print format, €75 per volume. Those who live here: I will welcome You to this City by showing the angles everyone misses and give You a gift: One or two print Bibles or an account substituting the need for You to have a long term strategic shopping just to get started, and the uniqueness of an account will depend on how deeply You will get to do things together with me and share our intellectual and physical training passions together.
I'm an ovo-vegetarian

Biggest title 2017: OTL and parts of NTL. Biggest title during 2018: https://twitter.com/...874763110559744 Biggest so far under 2019: NICOT/NICNT. I'm buying about 11 pieces of the Basic Starter Collections to gift away and four copies of the Catholic Documents with Bibles likewise /now during the sale March 2019
I can safely be encouraged
Healthy vendor lock-in
https://www.accordan...e-2#entry124374

#8 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:44 PM

While I am not a fan of these headings my only real concern, so long as they are optional, is that they do not perturb search results against the biblical text. Of course I can imagine someone wanting to be able to search the heading text too, but when turned off I would not want them perturbing search results, statistics and so on. I can even imagine people wanting them turned on and not to perturb the search results.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler, 07 May 2015 - 11:20 PM.

• Michael J. Bolesta and Lester P. Bagley like this
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#9 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

How I request it on another Topic, http://www.accordanc...l=+user +biblesIt would be fine. 

The outlines are O.K. but only in english and not to the specific translation that is actual set as search text.

Greetings

Fabian

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bugs, I describe.

PLEASE!
Bring more international Bibles to the store,
fix my reported bugs, even the old ones which never was addressed,
develop my feature requests, the new once and the once I made years ago,
in nearer future.

#10 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

The headings from the Outlines do appear in the Topic pane so if you keep that open you will always see them. We do plan to implement them in the text pane eventually.

I have been enjoying having the outlines there in the Info Pane.  And I'm enjoying the Info Pane in general.  It makes amplification easier.  I don't go trying to dig around in a commentary that doesn't address the passage I'm reading/studying.

Julia Falling

13" MacBook Pro Catalina Accordance 13
mid-2017 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)
16 GB RAM;
512 GB SSD

iPad Pro (9.7") iPadOS 13
128 GB
iAccord 3

iPhone 11 iOS 13
128 GB
iAccord 3

Used for backup only:
Mac mini Catalina Accordance 13
late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
16 GB RAM; 1.12 TB Fusion Drive

#11 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

To be more precious, "from" the specific translation which is actual set as search text. 

Any translation (in german) has her own and if you have used one over years it would be nice if we can search to the specific ones.

So if on the top of the Info Pane, the Outlines of the actual search text, this would be fine. 

Greetings

Fabian

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bugs, I describe.

PLEASE!
in nearer future.

#12 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hello

I saw now that the Nuova Riveduta 06 has the headings from the NR 06 Notes 

Attached File  Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-21 um 00.15.11.png   437.13KB   0 downloads

In this example: "Legge relativa alla lebbra (13:1-59)" and others

Unfortunately this doesn't work with the headings in the German Bibles

Attached File  Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-21 um 00.16.55.png   432.78KB   0 downloads

In this example: "Die Salbung Jesu in Betanien" and "Der Einzug in Jerusalem"

it seems that the Headers must add the verse range in the Notes.

I would love to see this feature in the German Bibles too. Please add them and in all others which have Notes too. So we can see the Headers in the Detail-Window in our language. Without open all the time the Notes too. In the top of the Info-Pane there is only in english.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian, 20 September 2015 - 05:32 PM.

Greetings

Fabian

PLEASE!
in nearer future.

#13 Jordan Gowing

Jordan Gowing

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

Has there been any further discussion on this?

Accordance 12.3.x

Accordance iOS 3.0.x

rMBP (mid-2015) | macOS 10.15.x

iPad Pro (gen 1) | ipadOS 13.x

iPhone XR | iOS 13.x

#14 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,024 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

It's still on the "Honey-do" list for eventual implementation.

• Jordan Gowing likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#15 BHopkins

BHopkins

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

Any movement on this? This was first suggested over two years ago. I've seen it discussed off and on. I'd love to have the option as every printed Bible has them and it gives quick visual reminders and helps the mental connection between digital and paper.

#16 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hello

I saw now that the Nuova Riveduta 06 has the headings from the NR 06 Notes

Thanks Fabian, hadn’t noticed before but niv headings also in niv notes

Interestingly (for me) the jps sub section headings are also in the jps but Accordance has added the range as well. Many thanks as that makes it even more useful.

No headings in nrsv notes but that’s not surprising as there are no headings in the printed copy either.

Attached Files

Edited by ukfraser, 26 December 2017 - 02:46 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#17 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:33 PM

Personally I don't like headings because they can break up a thought that shouldn't have been broken up in the first place. Its bad enough that sometimes Chapter X of a book continues into the first two or three verses of Chapter Y, headings just make this worse.

I'd be cool with the Title of the books included in Accordance to help separate different books. Fine as an optional feature, but I really like that Accordance doesn't have them.

#18 kpang808

kpang808

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Twitter:kpang808
  • Interests:Jesus, my wife, my dog, ministry, making music

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:58 AM

Please make this an option. It can be helpful at times and turning it off and on would be a good solution
  • R. Mansfield and Jordan Gowing like this

Shalom! In Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808 

#19 Dustin Battles

Dustin Battles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Twitter:@dustinbattles

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

+1

Dustin Battles

BA, MA, MDiv

Pastor 

​The King’s Chapel

West Chester, OH 

#20 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

As long as headings are optional and do not affect search of the text itself, I think it is a good addition.

Michael
Accordance on Macintosh, iPhone, and iPad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users