Bible headings

mrderek

Hi there

Is there a way to show the headings in the Bible? For example, in a hard copy ESV, there'll be little subheadings that briefly describe what is in the section. I can't find these in accordance.

Thanks

Hi,

the simple answer is no, as they are not part of the Biblical text. This has been asked for previously, but has not been implemented. I have no idea if it on our development priorities at all.

You can approximate it by putting the “outlines of Bible Books” in parallel. But at the moment, that’s the best I can suggest.

• Like 1

Sometimes as in the case of the NIV they appear in the corresponding notes for the Bible.

This is a long-debated topic. I'll restate my opinion: I would like to see them as an option, not a default--something that could be turned on or off like red lettering. Personally, I like the headings because the help to visually break up the text. As it stands now, there's no way to tell from a quick glance where Matthew 28 ends and Mark 1 begins because the text runs together.

• Like 7

The headings from the Outlines do appear in the Topic pane so if you keep that open you will always see them. We do plan to implement them in the text pane eventually.

• Like 6

Its interesting that even in the hard copy world, JPS and NRSV dont but JB and NIV do but they are different. More descisions for you down track, do you have standard headings for all translation or do you use the ones published or have you already decided to limit it to outline? Hope you have plenty of coffee at that meeting! Its just great we have a current workaround. ;o)

Ps outlines looks good as a parallel pane in iOS

Edited by ukfraser

I wish this would not be pursued in the forthcoming version 12, whether optional or not.

• Like 2

While I am not a fan of these headings my only real concern, so long as they are optional, is that they do not perturb search results against the biblical text. Of course I can imagine someone wanting to be able to search the heading text too, but when turned off I would not want them perturbing search results, statistics and so on. I can even imagine people wanting them turned on and not to perturb the search results.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 3

How I request it on another Topic, http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15273-search-for-paragraph-headers-in-user-bibles/?hl=%2Buser+%2BbiblesIt would be fine. 

The outlines are O.K. but only in english and not to the specific translation that is actual set as search text.

Greetings

Fabian

The headings from the Outlines do appear in the Topic pane so if you keep that open you will always see them. We do plan to implement them in the text pane eventually.

I have been enjoying having the outlines there in the Info Pane.  And I'm enjoying the Info Pane in general.  It makes amplification easier.  I don't go trying to dig around in a commentary that doesn't address the passage I'm reading/studying.

To be more precious, "from" the specific translation which is actual set as search text. 

Any translation (in german) has her own and if you have used one over years it would be nice if we can search to the specific ones.

So if on the top of the Info Pane, the Outlines of the actual search text, this would be fine. 

Greetings

Fabian

• 4 months later...

Hello

I saw now that the Nuova Riveduta 06 has the headings from the NR 06 Notes 

post-32723-0-79303400-1442787597_thumb.png

In this example: "Legge relativa alla lebbra (13:1-59)" and others

Unfortunately this doesn't work with the headings in the German Bibles

post-32723-0-90873500-1442787689_thumb.png

In this example: "Die Salbung Jesu in Betanien" and "Der Einzug in Jerusalem"

it seems that the Headers must add the verse range in the Notes.

I would love to see this feature in the German Bibles too. Please add them and in all others which have Notes too. So we can see the Headers in the Detail-Window in our language. Without open all the time the Notes too. In the top of the Info-Pane there is only in english.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

• 1 year later...

Has there been any further discussion on this?

It's still on the "Honey-do" list for eventual implementation.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Any movement on this? This was first suggested over two years ago. I've seen it discussed off and on. I'd love to have the option as every printed Bible has them and it gives quick visual reminders and helps the mental connection between digital and paper.

Hello

I saw now that the Nuova Riveduta 06 has the headings from the NR 06 Notes

Thanks Fabian, hadn’t noticed before but niv headings also in niv notes

Interestingly (for me) the jps sub section headings are also in the jps but Accordance has added the range as well. Many thanks as that makes it even more useful.

No headings in nrsv notes but that’s not surprising as there are no headings in the printed copy either.

post-31185-0-86215700-1514317336_thumb.jpeg

post-31185-0-41323600-1514317345_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

Personally I don't like headings because they can break up a thought that shouldn't have been broken up in the first place. Its bad enough that sometimes Chapter X of a book continues into the first two or three verses of Chapter Y, headings just make this worse.

I'd be cool with the Title of the books included in Accordance to help separate different books. Fine as an optional feature, but I really like that Accordance doesn't have them.

Please make this an option. It can be helpful at times and turning it off and on would be a good solution

• Like 2

As long as headings are optional and do not affect search of the text itself, I think it is a good addition.

• Like 1

I requested it before to tag the headings as <h> </h> in the Bibles, User Bibles too, so we can search for it, or switch it off if not wanted.

Greetings

Fabian

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this? An optional on/off in "Show Text As" or "Set Text Display Pane..." > Advanced would be good places to hav a check box for section/chapter headings.

• 4 weeks later...

+1,000

I'd REALLY like to see headings on Accordance but only as an option. 

• Like 2

I don't know that it's feasible, but I like the idea of being able to create custom headings that can be turned on or off in Bible texts. These headings would be editable both in terms of content and verse reference.

For example, one could start a book study by creating a first-draft outline, then as study suggests alterations could be made. Sometimes the content would be changed to better suit the results of the study, sometimes the span of verses referenced might need to be altered.

It's possible that publishers might not like this idea, and it might create formatting nightmares, I don't know. But if this feature were available I would use it all the time. That way I don't have to use screen real estate for a User Note file in parallel, and the headings are inline with the text for ease of reference.

• Like 1