Hebrew keyboard layout

Susan

I have my computer (OS X) set up to toggle between Greek, Hebrew, and English alphabet keyboards using shortcut keystrokes. In Accordance, when using a Greek or Hebrew text, if I go to search for a particular word in the search box, the keyboard automatically switches to the appropriate alphabet. However, the layout for the Hebrew is different from the Hebrew keyboard that my computer uses otherwise. (This may be true for the Greek too, but the differences are more subtle if so.) It’s difficult for me to get accustomed to switching back and forth.

I don’t really want to over-ride the Hebrew keyboard Accordance uses in that box because it so conveniently switches back to English L--> R in brackets, and it’s nice to have it all happen automatically without any shortcut keystrokes needed. But is there a way to change the keyboard layout that Accordance is using to match my OS X keyboard (or vice versa; I really just want it consistent)?

Thank you both. The only option I’m seeing there to switch the Hebrew layout is to switch to the Israeli layout, which is still different from my OS X layout. Am I missing something?

The Israeli is very close to the Unicode keyboard.

However, in version 11 on Mac you can simply use the Mac font menu and when set to Hebrew it will correctly enter it even in a Hebrew search entry box.

Helen – Is the built-in Hebrew Qwerty (System Prefs > Keyboard > Input Sources) what we use?  There is an options there under Bidirectional text:  Use split cursor seems to be the default.

Do I need to download something else?

Thanks for the help.  And thank you, Susan, for the question.  I don't want to have to keep multiple layouts straight, either.  The Accordance layout for Greek is automatic for me now, but it differs only a little from the Greek Polytonic, so I'm switching.  I'm only a beginner in Hebrew and would rather learn just a single keyboard layout.  Might as well get started on the right foot from the get-go.

Within Accordance the default has always been our own keyboards which date back over 20 years. Most characters match the QWERTY keyboard, but we made our own decisions on the placement of extra characters and accents etc., as everyone else did in those days.

The keyboards offered in our Preferences are the older ones for Hebrew (Israeli, not QWERTY) and Greek Polytonic and are similar but not identical to the equivalent Unicode keyboards.

The latest option is that you can switch to the system Unicode keyboard each time for text entry in Accordance, and use either of the keyboards offered in Unicode for those languages. In that way you have the same keyboard in and outside of Accordance but you have to change the language/keyboard for each new entry.

Thanks, Helen.  

The Israeli is non-intuitive for me, and I seriously doubt that I will ever be bilingual.  Probably best for me to stick with the Hebrew Qwerty and Greek Polytonic outside Accordance and go with the Accordance defaults within Accordance.  The differences are few and will probably make for less confusion on my part.  All the multi-lingual folks can probably handle multiple layouts with more ease.  I still think only in English.

• 8 years later...

Is there a way *in Accordance* to display a quick popup keyboard map like BibleWorks had?