Hebrew Word & Key Number in tagged texts @ Gen 8:10

Julia Falling

Hey – I was reading Ps 119 and came across the word wait יָחַל yāḥal (NAS95) in vs 114.  I noticed that the ESV had hope instead.  So I decided to check out how the word is translated in the NAS95 in the other occurrences in the piel stem of יָחַל.  And that is where it got weird.  I have only a smattering of Hebrew, so I don't know enough to figure out if this is an error or if it is just my ignorance.

A search for the Hebrew word in HMT-W4 yielded 43 hits (agrees with KM).  A search for the piel stem narrowed the search to 25 hits.  Then, wanting to see how the word was rendered in just the NAS95, I took the first occurrence, Gen 8:10, to get the Key Number.  For the NAS95, ESV, KJV, NKJV it is H2342 (H2342a for NAS95).  For the JPS, HCSB, & NRSV the number is H3176.  One might expect the KJV & NKJV to have a different number, but what about the NAS95 & ESV?  Anyone know what's going on?  The H3176 agrees with the KM Dictionary.  

Cross-highlighting, when hovering over the Hebrew, does not pick up the H2342-tagged versions, but does pick up the others.  Similarly, hovering over waited in the NAS95 picks up the ESV, KJV & NKJV but not the HMT-W4 or the other H3176-tagged versions.

I hope this is an error.  Either that, or Hebrew is way more confusing than it ought to be – will I ever be able to get beyond 'a smattering'?

Edited by Julie Falling

Good news—Hebrew really isn't that hard, and you did indeed find an error :-).

The KJVS, NKJVS, NAS95S and ESVS all contain the same incorrect tag. We should have an update for these texts very soon.

Edited by Mark Allison

Thanks for checking it out, Mark.  And thanks for the encouragement re:  Hebrew.