Searching for the Historical Present

Matthew LaPine

Does anyone know how one could search for all of these instances. Is there a way? I want to survey them in the book of Mark.

• Like 1

There probably is more than one way to get at this. Here's what I did.

1. Search GNT-T for all Present Tense verbs in Mark.

2. Search NAS95S for the contents of GNT-T AND the * character (.*). The * in the NASB shows where the NASB translators interpreted the Greek as an historical present.

3. Search the GNT-T (another tab/window) for the contents of NAS95S AND for verbs in the present tense and then open a parallel pane with the NAS95S so you can see clearly which verb is the historical present and which other verbs (if there are any) in that verse are regular presents.

Doing the search this way makes you reliant on the NASB translators' interpretation of where the historical present is used, but it is one way to get started on it.

Edited by Robb B
  • Like 2

Great idea Robb.

I'd suggest a process that doesn't remove you from the equation. As Robb suggested, not sure I'd relay on the NAS decisions for historical present, and the notion of an exhaustive list doesn't really do justice to the nature of historical present.

How about do this search:

[VERB Present Indicative] @-eimi <AND> [RANGE Mark]

which in the GNT-T returns 413 Present Indicative verbs in Mark, which is a manageable list to then read through for the purpose of your own examinations.

You might compare it with a list you compile from other's choices.

• Like 1

• 15 years later...

Have there been any developments in this area since 2007? 

• Like 1