Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:48 AM

Hi 

This is a related question. How do you search (in Greek or Hebrew) all the words which occur more than a certain number of times within a particular range? E.g. In Genesis 1, all the lemmas that occur more than 3 times.

Thanks

#22 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

Again, the key is the [COUNT ?] command, joined by the [RANGE ?] command. In this case, [COUNT 4-10000] <AND> [Range Genesis 1]

The [RANGE ?] command will accept any book of the Bible or any custom range. If you want to search within a book, say for a chapter, just create a custom range for that chapter.

The [COUNT ?] command will accept any number or range of numbers (e.g. 1-10, 99-199, 100-10000, etc.) Its default is to look for lemmas, but it can be modified to look for inflected forms or roots.  Here's the relevant section from Accordance Help:

The [COUNT ?] command searches only for words that occur the specified number of times in the search range. This command always uses a list of exact words (sensitive to case, punctuation, and accent).

The default COUNT search in a tagged text uses the list of lemmas that occur the specified number of times. Additional modifiers can be used inside the brackets to choose a different list for the search. These modifiers (Keys, Inflected, and Tags) are entered with an equal sign directly after the numeral. Only the first character of each modifier needs to be entered.

[COUNT 1] uses the list of lemmas that occur only once.

[COUNT 1=i] uses the list of inflected forms that occur only once.

[COUNT 1=t] uses the list of entire tags that occur only once.

[COUNT 1=k] uses the list of Key numbers that occur only once.

Example 1: To find all hapax legomena (words that occur only once) search for [COUNT 1].

Example 2: To find any complete tags that appear less than 10 times in the range, search for [COUNT 1-9=t].

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#23 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,008 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

I must clarify here. If you use the COUNT with the RANGE command, the count applies to the range showing in the pop-up menu NOT to the range of the command. The range in the command will limit your hits, but the count first finds the number of words in the entire range, which is All Text by default. If you want words that occur more than three times in a book, for example, you must set that book in the Range pop-up menu, and use [COUNT 3+].

• Timothy Jenney likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#24 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

Oops, yes, what Helen just said. I misread the question.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#25 mrderek

mrderek

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for that

I must be doing something wrong.

Tim, when I try your method on 1 Corinthians 12 [COUNT 4-10000] <AND> [Range 1 Corinthians 12] , the term θελω in verse 1 is highlighted even though the lemma occurs only twice in 1 Corinthians 12.

Helen, the same happens when I create a range for the book of 1 Corinthians in the pop up. 

Is there a simple way to search for only the words that occur more than a certain number of time in that particular chapter? Or do I need to do a construct chain search as in this link: http://www.accordanc...e-in-a-chapter/? I'm still getting my head around learning how to use construct searches.

Thanks!

#26 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

Go to Search -> Define Range.

Hit New - then set the range name to say 1Cor12 and the definition to : 1Cor 12

It must specify the chapter to get what you want.

Go to the search box on a tab with the NA28 Greek NT open and click the + at the far right.

A range pull down will appear

Select your new 1Cor12 range

In the search box itself enter [COUNT 4+]

Hit enter.

I believe this will get you what you need.

If you change the 4+ to a 4- you will get the inverse and θελω will appear. With 4+ it will not.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#27 mrderek

mrderek

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for that! That was really helpful. It was exactly what I was after. Though does that mean I'll have to define many ranges depending on what chapter I want to limit my search to? I can envision the ranges in my range bar turning out very long (with 1 Corinthians 12, 13, 14, etc), or constantly creating new ranges and then deleting them after I use them. Thanks again for your patience!

#28 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:18 PM

For cases like this AppleScript is your friend. But in short yes, you'll need a bunch of ranges covering the cases of interest. It would actually be nice to have an option in the [RANGE x] or [COUNT x] commands to control this but as it stands this is how you do it.

Thx

D

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

12GB RAM

#29 mrderek

mrderek

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

This is becoming tangential, but what's applescript? Thanks for your help.

#30 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

AppleScript is Apple's application scripting language. You can use it to control applications. It is possible to automate repetitive tasks in applications including to a degree in Accordance, depending upon the task.

https://developer.ap...pleScriptX.html

Though the developer doc isn't the most welcoming.

Thx

D

12GB RAM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vocabulary, list

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users