Is There Someway to stop the Opening Pop-Up?

Enoch

I like to close out Accordance with force quit.       But then when I start Accordance again, I get this pop up demanding a response, one of the choices being "cancel," which in fact does not cancel the Accordance application.  When I start Acc I would like to go to my default startup immediately without the pop-up delay.  How can I do that?

Incidentally, this pop-up was not there when I began Accordance years ago, & to me it seems useless as there is the auto-saved session function.

Why do you close Accordance with a force quit? This should never be necessary except in cases of a bad bug.

Joel, often I end up with a pile of applications going (Word, QuickTime7, Safari, Firefox, EyeTV, Accordance, Logos, and Joe Nameth).

The easiest way to stop all this stuff is to go to Force Quit & stop the lot. I wish I could easily also kill most of the unnecessary stuff going in Activity Monitor). This all goes back, IMHO, to Terminate and stay resident programs in DOS. It seems like all these applications/programs want to hang on to your computer and use up resources.

To me, I should do whatever is most efficient, and Accordance should not act up -- just do like it used to do; stop running & be happy about it! I don't want any computer program trying to insist on its own way in my computer. chuckle LOL.

Now back to my actual question:

I like to close out Accordance with force quit. But then when I start Accordance again, I get this pop up demanding a response, one of the choices being "cancel," which in fact does not cancel the Accordance application. When I start Acc I would like to go to my default startup immediately without the pop-up delay. How can I do that?

Edited by Enoch

Enoch, if you simply did a Command-Q, Accordance would close silently and just as quickly.  However, by closing properly you are ensuring that nothing gets corrupted, that any necessary files are up to date, and thus Accordance won't comment the next time you open.  Using force quit to close a program is generally a very bad idea for any program, not just Accordance, so you shouldn't be surprised when there are ramifications.  Force Quit is designed for crash and bug cases, not "normal use".

By the way, one of my favorite things to do is a quick alternation of Command-Tab and Command-Q back and forth, as this will go through and safely quit every open application.

• Like 3

By the way, one of my favorite things to do is a quick alternation of Command-Tab and Command-Q back and forth, as this will go through and safely quit every open application.

This is what I was going to recommend as well. Simply no need to ever use Force Quit for that reason, and it's slower than this method anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tangential remarks.  Perhaps we could have a separate thread on using Force Quit or not.  It is the easiest way to get rid of all the applications running (which are accessible that way).  I routinely do it, and a few years ago, Accordance just started from scratch without any dialogue box.

But could you please answer the question:

When I start Acc I would like to go to my default startup immediately without the pop-up delay. How can I do that?  Is there anyway to set Accordance to open the way it used to open after a force quit, which is simply to open.

If it cannot be done, all I need is to be told that.

Hi Enoch

This must be the first of all checkboxes in the Accordance preferences. Something like Deactivate Accordance Startup. 

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Do you refer to "Suppress Opening Text Information?" Actually in my general settings there is nothing called "Deactivate Accordance Startup." I have "default session" selected under Startup.

Thanks for directly addressing my issue.

Enoch isn't referring to suppressing the opening splash screen nor text information. Joel answered the question, but I guess it wasn't satisfactory. Using Force Quit to close apps is akin to shutting your computer down by holding down the power key. Sure it's fast and will work, but it is not how Apple designed it to be done and could (or will) adversely affect apps.

• Like 4

Enoch, try quitting Accordance properly (Using Cmd-Q) once. Relaunch it. Force quit. Relaunch. See if the popup still appears. You may be lucky and it will disappear. If it doesn't, there isn't anything lse I can think of to recommend.

Now, to the tangential point: you have developed a bad habit, one that needs replaced. Every time you use Force Quit to quit a program, you risk corrupting the application. This doesn't just apply to Accordance, but every application you own. If you continue, despite the repeated warnings you have received on this thread, we can't be responsible for any adverse effects your behavior might cause. Neither we, nor any program developer, have written our programs to be continually abused in this manner.

'Nuff said.

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 3

Timothy, my question is not about Force Quit. But I would like a serious technical support answer to the question I asked.

Accordance may crash for any reason having nothing to do with Force Quit. So let me ask (if you don't mind) to stop talking about force quit, and please give me the technical support answer if you know it.

This dialog box will probably be encountered by anyone using Accordance, even if they always close the program using Command Q. For Accordance sometimes crashes.

If Accordance crashes, the next time that one opens Accordance one gets that dialogue box of choices, "cancel" or "recover."

My question is simply whether there is any way to get rid of that popup dialogue box & just have Accordance start as it used to do.

If it cannot be done, then it would be nice if some technical support person just told me so. And if it can be done, likewise I would like to know how.

Edited by Enoch

Enoch isn't referring to suppressing the opening splash screen nor text information. Joel answered the question, but I guess it wasn't satisfactory. Using Force Quit to close apps is akin to shutting your computer down by holding down the power key. Sure it's fast and will work, but it is not how Apple designed it to be done and could (or will) adversely affect apps.

No, Joel did not answer the question. Fabian tried to answer it (being direct, polite, and respectful). Fabian was direct and polite. but I was unable to find a preference that corresponded to his direct & polite answer. My question is about whether or not one can opt out of the pop-up dialogue box, which did not exist in earlier versions of Acc.

Edited by Enoch

No, Joel did not answer the question. Fabian tried to answer it (being direct, polite, and respectful). Fabian was direct and polite. but I was unable to find a preference that corresponded to his direct & polite answer. My question is about whether or not one can opt out of the pop-up dialogue box, which did not exist in earlier versions of Acc.

Is this the "popup" you're talking about? If so, then no there is not a way to stop it from opening if Accordance crashes or is not quit properly (i.e. by using Force Quit). It opens as a safety feature of sorts to allow a user to return to their previous work in the event that Accordance crashed or was not quit properly. This is a newer feature that was made possible by our autosave feature.

BUT, to return to my, Tim, and Joel's point in our replies, if this is happening from using Force Quit (as you admitted), then YES there is a way to stop it…quit the application properly.

I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. If not, please let us know how we can better assist.

post-5629-0-53621500-1434058732_thumb.png

• Like 1

OK, I initially brought on these assertions about Force Quit by starting my initial sentence with a reference to Force Quit, even though the title of the question said nothing about "Force Quit."    So I understand how the subject got changed to Force Quit.  My query was about how to stop (if possible) the dialogue box pop-up even after a crash, which seems to be an inevitable experience (having no necessary connection to Force Quite).   Apparently I finally got the definitive answer that we cannot go back to the earlier Accordance start up which did not have that pop-up -- and there is no way to disable it.

However, since Rick, you and some others, apparently are so set to oppose using Force Quit, claiming bad consequences, we may now change the topic to the one you want to pursue:  namely

What harm does Force Quit do to Accordance?"

Do you mind my asking specifically what harm force quit does to Accordance?

What are the probabilities of doing significant harm to Accordance via Force Quit (1 out of 100?).

How sure you are on a scale of 0-10,

where 0 is complete uncertainly;

10 means it is as sure as 2+2 = 4;

5 means it seems that way to me without significant evidence?

What is your proof that Force Quit does significant damage to Accordance?  How do you know?

Such answers could be of great profit to those who have used Force Quit for over a decade without ever noticing any bad effect.

One certainly doesn't want to risk an application for which one has paid over $10,000.

Edited by Enoch

Enoch,

Every application performs a variety of housekeeping tasks upon quitting. They may check files names, check for updates, make sure documents are saved properly, save the current state of preferences, settings, and places in other documents and the program itself to file, etc. Failure to properly close an app means that these housekeeping tasks don't get done. Eventually the errors mount up and some of these files become corrupted, little by little. Sooner or later, the program simply won't work or a document cannot be opened etc. Data is lost. Permanently.

I don't know what Accordance does when closing, nor do I know if our programmers will share it with you. Such information may fall under "proprietary secrets." I think a poll is just silly. It should be enough for you that every Accordance "expert" on this forum has told you force closing is a bad practice. If you don't want to follow our advice, that is certainly up to you. It's your program, your modules, and your data.

• Like 2

As a former programmer, I can also add that force quitting a program - ANY program - is a really, really bad idea.  I would only do it if there was absolutely no other option.  There is no way for a program to avoid having to do cleanup when it is closed, so with ANY program there is a CHANCE of corrupting something.  It is simply best to go to the program and close it properly.  And I find Accordance to be very responsive when this proper method is used, and in the event of a crash (which is what force quit actually is - a crash), I would always want that popup so I had options on how to proceed.

In Christ,

Bret

• Like 3