Sirach chapter '0'

Eleuterio

How could I manage to import the introduction to Sirach, that has no chapter number? I see that some English versions have in Accordance "Sirach 0:1, etc.", but I cannot get this done with Bible import tool. I get an error message saying that chapters must begin with 1. I can call "Sirach 1" to the introduction, but then I have to add all chapter/verse numbers in parenthesis in the whole book, like "Sirach 1:1 (0:1)".

Any suggestion to fix this?

Thank you

Eleuterio

Sirach is almost impossible, even for us, there are so many discrepancies in verse numbering in the different versions. Once again, we are not supporting the import of the Apocrypha at present, any more than we are non-Roman languages. Please make it into a User Tool where you will not have these limitations.

Once again, we are not supporting the import of the Apocrypha at present

Ok. Agreed.

My mistake was due to the fact that I am not used to include Sirach in the Apocrypha, but in the Deuterocanonicals. I know this kind of denomination varies in the different 'canons', so I don't ask for any further explanation on this regard. Just wanted to make my point clear, I was not trying to insist on something you already explained.

We will talk on this subject again when support for Apocrypha (and/or Deuterocanonicals, or whatever you call it) comes. :)

Thank you

Eleuterio

OK, the standard for importing Bible books, chapters, and verses is the KJV.

• 1 year later...

To create a complete Accordance Bible text with all the books and chapters you may need to know the following.

1. All OT and NT books; Have versification set according to the KJV. So each Book have the same numbers of chapters as in KJV, and each chapter have the same number of verses as KJV.

2. All Apocrypha Books; Have versification set according to RSV. So each Book have the same numbers of chapters as in RSV, and each chapter have the same number of verses as RSV.

3. Since Accordance chapters must start with number 1; Sirach need to have all the chapter numbers added by 1. i.e. Chapter 0 should be numbered chapter 1 (You may add i.e. the real chapter verse number in square brackets before the text like i.e. [0:1-0:4] because verse 2 & 3 is not in in RSV. Then i.e. 4Maccabees 11 should have verse numbers 1-25 and not 1-27, because verse 7 & 8 is missing.

4. 2Esdras 7:36-70 (in some Bibles) is numbered 7:106-140, Tobit 5:22 is merged in to Tobit 5:21. (21 verses as according to RSV.

5. Esther really need to be renumbered (again use square brackets with the real verse number before the bible verse. Esther 11:2-11 is mapped to Esther 10:4-13 (unless they are added in the OT directly after Esther 10:3). Esther 11:12 is mapped to Esther 11:2; Esther 12:1-6 is mapped to Esther 11:2-7; Esther 13:1-5 is mapped to Esther 11:8-12; Esther 13:6-11 is mapped to Esther 12:1-6; Esther 13:12-18 is mapped to Esther 13:1-7; Esther 14:1-11 is mapped to Esther 13:8-18; Esther 14:12-19 is mapped to Esther 14:1-8; Esther 15:1-11 is mapped to Esther 14:9-19; Esther 15:12-16 is mapped to Esther 15:1-5; Esther 16:1-11 is mapped to Esther 15:6-16; Esther 16:12-24 is mapped to Esther 16:1-13; Esther 10:4-13 is mapped to Esther 16:14-23 and finally Esther 11:1 is mapped to Esther 16:23.

6. Daniel 3 is mapped to Daniel 13; Daniel 13 is mapped to Daniel 14; Daniel 14 is mapped to Daniel 15;

7. You may use i.e. verse number 6:0-72 (As in Baruch 6 (Epistle of Jeremy) of KJV) instead of verse number 6:1-73 of RSV.

8. Psalm 151 is easier to add after Psalm 150 in OT (rather then with the apocrypha between the OT & NT), because you have to all the chapters before it. i.e If having Esther Apocypha between OT & NT then you need to have even if they are empty. the lines Esther 1:1 - Esther 10:1; or i.e. Daniel Apocrypha you will have to have the lines Daniel 1:1 and 2:1.

Finally please remember to use the real verse number within Square Brackets before the verse text. And remember if RSV has dropped a verse then the highest verse number in the chapter is reduced by the number of verses dropped in the chapter.

Archived