#1 Woody

Woody

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

I am new Accordance, and want to begin using the “Highlights” feature.

So my questions are this: Is there a standardized or academically recognized method of highlighting text and marking text with symbols?  Is there a list I can copy and use for the symbols? Is there a “Highlights Styles file” already created that I can copy and load so I don’t have to recreate it?  I’m open to any suggestions or help.

Blessings,

Woody

#2 Woody

Woody

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

Is anyone able to help me with a standard method of highlighting text? I'm guessing there must be academic reference for inductive bible study. Can anyone pease help me?

#3 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc…
  • Accordance Version:12.x

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

I haven't heard of any standardised academic use of highlighter styles, this list of symbols is just for your personal benefit, if you find it useful. Use as you see it best fit for you. I created two style sets—one for specific passage studies, one for general reading. You can create your own. Regarding symbols, I didn't find them useful for me, at least not in their current implementation. But then it's just me, YMMV. 

“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

(retina MacBook Pro 15.4" (mid 2014) — Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. macOS Sierra, Accordance 12) 

#4 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

Woody, I don't think inductive Bible study as such finds a place (or at least a standardized place) in the academy, so I don't think there'd be consensus in that regard. (Though Dr. J would know if anyone would.)

That's not to slight to it, of course, but I think how you use highlighting in Accordance will be pretty user-specific.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#5 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

To answer the part of your about pre-made highlight styles, there is a set of highlighting styles called "markers" available in the Accordance Exchange: http://www.accordanc.../highlights.htm

Running Accordance on:
Mac 10.11 (El Capitan)
iOS 9 (iPad)

iOS 11 (iPhone)
Windows 10

[Vista Home Premium before 3/20/2016]

#6 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,266 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

Hi, Everyone!

When we put this set of symbols together, we used symbols from many different IBS systems. There doesn't seem to be a standard for their use, as their are so many different ways of implementing them. Every prof (and probably every student) seems to use them in slightly different ways. Our interest was in making enough symbols available that people could use whichever ones they preferred in their workflow. 

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#7 Woody

Woody

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thank you everyone for replies and suggestions!!! I'll go ahead and jump in, and find my way. Thanks again :)

Blessings,
Woody
  • Timothy Jenney likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: symbols, highlights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users