Standardized Highlighter & Symbols

Woody

I am new Accordance, and want to begin using the “Highlights” feature.

So my questions are this: Is there a standardized or academically recognized method of highlighting text and marking text with symbols?  Is there a list I can copy and use for the symbols? Is there a “Highlights Styles file” already created that I can copy and load so I don’t have to recreate it?  I’m open to any suggestions or help.

Blessings,

Woody

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone able to help me with a standard method of highlighting text? I'm guessing there must be academic reference for inductive bible study. Can anyone pease help me?

I haven't heard of any standardised academic use of highlighter styles, this list of symbols is just for your personal benefit, if you find it useful. Use as you see it best fit for you. I created two style sets—one for specific passage studies, one for general reading. You can create your own. Regarding symbols, I didn't find them useful for me, at least not in their current implementation. But then it's just me, YMMV. 

Woody, I don't think inductive Bible study as such finds a place (or at least a standardized place) in the academy, so I don't think there'd be consensus in that regard. (Though Dr. J would know if anyone would.)

That's not to slight to it, of course, but I think how you use highlighting in Accordance will be pretty user-specific.

Hi, Everyone!

When we put this set of symbols together, we used symbols from many different IBS systems. There doesn't seem to be a standard for their use, as their are so many different ways of implementing them. Every prof (and probably every student) seems to use them in slightly different ways. Our interest was in making enough symbols available that people could use whichever ones they preferred in their workflow. 

Thank you everyone for replies and suggestions!!! I'll go ahead and jump in, and find my way. Thanks again :)

Blessings,

Woody

• Like 1