Is it possible to search for exact word rather than dictionary form?

Ιακοβ

I know you can (for example) search for λυω and see results that include different forms of the word. How do you search (for example) for ελυομεν to just see occurrences of this word?

I am aware there are things like "=λυσω" but that doesn't seem to do much except pop up a box with a word picker. I think from the help, this might be because the "=" operator is case sensitive and also requires the funny lines above the letters which I don't know how to type.

Edited by Ιακοβ

"ελυεν"

Quotes for inflected form which is what you want.

Thx

D

That definitely doesn't work for me. I get this pick list, that I am forced to pick from. The forced pick list doesn't hen contain the word I am searching for.

post-33292-0-61139900-1438910735_thumb.png

post-33292-0-61139900-1438910735_thumb.png

Edited by Ιακοβ

It will depend upon whether the form occurs in the text - I was using NA 28 Greek. Rahlf's only has the forms listed.

Tx

D

I don't think luw appears as eluomen in the Greek NT. 

You don't need the equals sign, just speech marks.

so "elusen" or "eluen" or "elueto" all work for me.

the equals sign gives you exact form - that is the verb or noun or adjective - try =agap and see what comes  up there.

• Like 1

I don't think luw appears as eluomen in the Greek NT. 

You don't need the equals sign, just speech marks.

so "elusen" or "eluen" or "elueto" all work for me.

This explains it! The word forms I tried just didn't exist. 

This makes me think that perhaps the user interface could be improved in this instance. If a word doesn't exist, I would expect that I would see no results. Not a word picker for a bunch of words. 

• Like 1

the word picker appears because the word (or form) doesn't exist. 

In that sense, it's doing exactly the right thing - it knows the word doesn't exist, so you now can check to see if it was another word you were looking for or if you misspelt your original word, and the word picker (I really should call it its proper name if I knew it!) allows you to choose the correct word.

• Like 2

Thanks, I understand that now. As a new user, It was not obvious to me why that box kept on popping up. 

From the perspective of a new user, That box was just that annoying thing that I had to keep on closing while I was trying to search for words. :D

It feels unintuitive to me, but it might just be me (:

You're not the only one :) But it is part of the Accordance paradigm (telling you with a dialog when something doesn't exist, rather than returning an empty result) and you get used to it, and while removing the Quick Entry popup, as it's called, won't change that, if you really don't want it you can disable it in Preferences -> Appearance -> Disable Quick Entry.

Thx

D