NEW! Leningrad Codex Images

R. Mansfield

The Leningrad Codex is the oldest complete manuscript (1008 CE) of the Hebrew Bible and the primary basis of modern editions such as Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia and the Biblia Hebraica Quinta. Working with the West Semitic Research Project, we have now incorporated nearly 1,000 images from the Leningrad Codex to be examined in parallel with any biblical text from within an Accordance workspace.

Few readers of the Hebrew Bible would be able to journey to St. Petersburg, Russia, to examine the pages of the Leningrad Codex for themselves. However, having access to the codex images in Accordance allows the user to examine the pages in high resolution. Moreover, the images are fully exportable from Accordance. In a sample export, the image of one leaf from the codex measured 3673 x 4090 pixels.

See the product page for more information and introductory pricing.

Leningrad Codex.png
  • Like 2

This is really great, Rick (so is the updated DSS index, the Greek MSS and the Orthodox Greek NT set).

I'll definitely have to get the Leningradiensis images - My "Hebrew Master" module won't be complete without them!

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

• Like 2

Peter, the Hebrew Master Set has been updated to include the Leningrad Codex. I'm not certain if there's an upgrade path or not. You might want to call sales.

• Like 1

The Masters are Custom Upgrade products so you will only be paying for products you don't already have.

• Like 1

The Masters are Custom Upgrade products so you will only be paying for products you don't already have.

Sounds perfectly fair - I'll get around to buying it sometime tomorrow..

With kind regards

Peter

*EDIT*

Ah, couldn't help it, so I went ahead and bought it already. Gotta wait for the order to get processed anyway :)

Edited by Pchris

Oh I saw it after my purchase that both Masters are updated.  Maybe this were be the better solution, than the individual additional purchase.

• Like 1

Just finished downloading them, and they look amazing. Then I noticed that the pictures were taken by Bruce Zuckerman from West Semitic Research (the same organization behind the InscriptiFact Project), so I'm not surprised at all. Many thanks to the Accordance team for obtaining this important resource!

With kind regards

Peter

*EDIT*

Having pictures of the text available is really something, but I must admit that I'm also very taken by the "Illuminated Pages" with the various geometric patterns. They look quite beautiful.

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 1

This is great news! :)  I am so happy that Oak Tree: Accordance has aquired these images.

I will be purchasing a licence for the leningrad Codex images as soon as I can.

Edited by bkMitchell
  • Like 2

At, Oak Tree Accordance it seems ideas quickly change from concept to reality! 

On, the 12th of February, 2013 a user named Anon publicly commented that he'd like to see these images in Accordance. 

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/9348-accordance-dss-modules-vs-brills-dss-electronic-library/?hl=%2Bdead+%2Bsea+%2Bscroll+%2Bimages&do=findComment&comment=42482

Then, little over a year later on the 12th of May, 2014 a Feature or Module Request thread discusion was started.  

And, finally on 10th of August, 2015 the leningrad Codex image module was announced on the blog and then on the 11th on the forums.

This was an unexpected yet highly pleasant surprise... 

Thanks to everyone at Oak Tree; Accordance for making this happen!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

Edited by bkMitchell
  • Like 1

You are very welcome!

Customers like you make it all worthwhile.

• Like 1

Few readers of the Hebrew Bible would be able to journey to St. Petersburg, Russia, to examine the pages of the Leningrad Codex for themselves.

Having tried to do just this, I would recommend against trying. The manuscript is in the national library at St Petersburg, but it is not on display. As I was visiting the city last year, I contacted the library to see if I could see the manuscript. I couldn't get any clear confirmation that I could (I tried emailing and phoning) so called at the library in person when I was there.

Anyone can get access to the library after some form filling, all in Russian. You'll get a temporary membership card with your photo and your name written in Cyrillic (staff are very nice, but have no foreign language skills - my wife speaks some rusty school-girl Russian, which was very necessary). Asking to see the manuscript, all I got access to was a printed facsimile edition (commonly available elsewhere). In some display cabinets there are a few medieval Hebrew manuscrips which were quite interesting - even if I can no longer recall what exactly they were, but no chance of seeing codex Leningradensis., despite further phone calls, even from a very helpful Russian (and French-speaking) tour guide who very kindly phoned on my behalf.

So your best bet is to stick with images.

Edited by nicklaurence
  • Like 1

This is a good word, Nick. If only I'd had your entire story when I wrote the post on the blog!

Back in 1998, Daniel D. Stuhlman wrote an informative short two part article on the photos we can now easily access in Accordance. 

The Leningrad Codex part 1

http://home.earthlink.net/~ddstuhlman/crc10.htm

The Leningrad Codex part 2

http://home.earthlink.net/~ddstuhlman/crc11.htm

Edited by bkMitchell

Just in case anyone wants to know here is how one would say or refer to the Leningrad Codex in Hebrew (It kind of rhymes) :

כֶּתֶר יָד לֶנִינְגְּרָד 

כֶּתֶר (Keter ) = Crown

יָד (Yad ) = Hand 

לֶנִינְגְּרָד = Leningrad

• Like 1

Just in case anyone wants to know here is how one would say or refer to the Leningrad Codex in Hebrew (It kind of rhymes) :

כֶּתֶר יָד לֶנִינְגְּרָד 

כֶּתֶר (Keter ) = Crown

יָד (Yad ) = Hand 

לֶנִינְגְּרָד = Leningrad

Actually, it's כְּתַב יָד לנינגרד. Like manuscript (manu + scriptus) or Handschrift.

• Like 1

Actually, it's כְּתַב יָד לנינגרד. Like manuscript (manu + scriptus) or Handschrift.

So, it's K'Tav like K'Tav publishing house and not Keter

כְּתַב https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D7%9B%D7%AA%D7%91

VS

כֶּתֶר https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D7%9B%D7%AA%D7%A8

Thank you David :) , I must have been a little confussed :wacko:  because I often hear of the Aleppo Codex being called the  

Keter (Crown) Aram Tzova    כֶּתֶר אֲרָם צוֹבָא‎ Well, at least I got the consonats right but my pointing was way off. I should have know better! what a silly mistake. Maybe we can one day Accordance will aquire images of the Aleppo Codex. Then I can use Keter כֶּתֶר to describe it.

Sorry about the misinformation everyone and thank you David for the correction! :)

כְּתַב יָד לנינגרד

As far as I can see, the Codex is complete and we do have all the plates.

Do the images encompass the entire Tanakh? 

Yes, is encompass the entire Tanakh. Keep in mind the Leningrad Codex Is the oldest complete Codex of the entire Hebrew Bible. there are of course older codices of individual books and partialy complete manuscripts like those found among the Qumran/Dead Sea. But, Leningrad Codex that is now represented by the new digital photos in Accordance is complete. The Accordance edition has every plate used to create the 1998 fasicimle edition of the Leningrad Codex. This means that it has much,much, more than the average modern printed edition of the Tanakh.

It includes:

photos of the coverboards, the first few inside pages of the codex, the colophon page, two poems, end matter,  of course the Masorah Magna on every page and the Masorah Parva as well. It also has all of the massorah finalis, Massorah lists, Masoretic rules, and illuminated Masoretic rules. That makes about 70 photos outside of the standard Bible text! And, all these photos are in full color, too!

Edited by bkMitchell

Yes, is encompass the entire Tanakh. Keep in mind the Leningrad Codex Is the oldest complete Codex of the entire Hebrew Bible. there are of course older codices of individual books and partialy complete manuscripts like those found among the Qumran/Dead Sea. But, Leningrad Codex that is now represented by the new digital photos in Accordance is complete. The Accordance edition has every plate used to create the 1998 fasicimle edition of the Leningrad Codex. This means that it has much,much, more than the average modern printed edition of the Tanakh.

It includes:

photos of the coverboards, the first few inside pages of the codex, the colophon page, two poems, end matter,  of course the Masorah Magna on every page and the Masorah Parva as well. It also has all of the massorah finalis, Massorah lists, Masoretic rules, and illuminated Masoretic rules. That makes about 70 photos outside of the standard Bible text! And, all these photos are in full color, too!

I have the Eerdmans / Brill 1998 facsimile Leningrad Codex in my print library.  I'll have to add these resources to my Accordance collection as soon as I fill the hole in my cash stash that was created by my recent Accordance purchases.  This is right up the middle of my field of interest, and the book is a monstrosity and somewhat difficult to wrangle without leaving my La-Z-Boy recliner and walking 5 steps to my desk.   :)