Brill Greek Dictionary

Benjamin Gladd

I'd love to see the Brill's new Greek Dictionary available on Accordance!

http://www.brill.com/products/book/brill-dictionary-ancient-greek

Me too, +1

Although I'd rather see Muraoka's A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint first in Accordance, it does look good..

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 6

Although I'd rather see Muraoka's A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint first in Accordance, it does look good..

This is a good point - I keep having to interpolate between BDAG and LSJ for the Septuagint.

Nonetheless this one looks cool too.

Thx

D

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for both Muraoka and for The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek.

I have to do more research into the scope of Brill's lexicon, but does anyone know offhand how it's textual scope compares to LSJ? I think Brill states's that it's dictionary covers texts to 600 CE. But I'm not sure how far back it goes... Everything after Linear B and up to 600 CE?

Hey David,

I have not done this yet but BrillOnline offers a daily full access to reference works for $13.95 (https://buyaccess.brillonline.com/shop/home?filter_pe_id=BORWe). I have slowly been compiling (very slowly in fact) a list of things to look up. Then I was going to search for an unallocated day (yep I've heard they exist :) ) and then buy my ticket and tool about the online reference works they have. I was particularly interested in their Etymological Dictionary of Greek (http://www.brill.com/etymological-dictionary-greek-2-vols). If you want to try that I would suggest you double check that the The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is part of the online offering. I did check about the Etymological one and it is. At least then you might be able to check it out.

Anyhow, just a thought.

I also found this http://www.brill.com/sites/default/files/ftp/downloads/34732_Preview.pdf:

The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is the English translation of Franco Montanari’s Vocabolario della  Lingua Greca, published by Loescher. With an established reputation as the most important modern dictionary for Ancient Greek, it brings together 140,000 headwords taken from the literature, papyri, inscriptions and other sources of the archaic period up to the 6th Century CE, and occasionally beyond. The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is an invaluable companion for the study of Classics and Ancient Greek, for beginning students and advanced scholars alike.

Thx

D

Agreed, with a little caveat emptor to Accordance/acquisitions: at least the first printing of the Brill Greek Dictionary has had some errata--30 missing pages in one print version. Hopefully that doesn't reflect back on to whatever e-text they would provide, but....

Hey Daniel, 

Thanks for the info.  I will definitely look into that program.   I was looking at a preview of KAHAL a couple days ago, which I am also planning to acquire, and would LOVE to see in Accordance. 

Thanks again, 

David

• 1 year later...

And of course they did a wonderful service to confused future students everywhere by naming it BDAG... 

Sorry you are wrong:

(BDAG)

revised and edited by

Frederick William Danker

based on

WALTER BAUER’S

Griechisch-deutsches Wörterbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments und der frühchristlichen Literatur, sixth edition, ed. Kurt Aland and Barbara Aland, with Viktor Reichmann and on previous English editions by W. F. Arndt, F. W. Gingrich, and F. W. Danker

The Original Publisher of the German one is https://www.degruyter.com/viewbooktoc/product/59046?rskey=kgAlRo&result=27

Bauer covers only the New Testament Greek and the early christian literature, the Lexicon above covers the Ancient Greek.

Edited by Fabian

Hi Fabian,

The first two English editions were known as BAGD, and the the third known as BDAG. 

BDAG even occurs on the cover of the third edition.

So, it will be a bit confusing to English students.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Probably just call it Brill Greek (BG) or Brill Ancient Greek (BAG) and it will all be good.

Tx

D

• Like 2

Hi Fabian,

The first two English editions were known as BAGD, and the the third known as BDAG. 

BDAG even occurs on the cover of the third edition.

So, it will be a bit confusing to English students.

Regards,

Michel

Hallo Michel 

Vielen Dank ich wusste das nicht. Da habe ich wieder etwas dazugelernt. 

Grüsse

Fabian

• Like 1

Yea to the Brill Greek Dictionary and to the Muraoka lexicon. 

Thank you for producing Accordance.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yes and then the Greek texts for TLG and Perseus.

Greetings

Fabian