"Go to commentaries" and commentary order

Aaron Smith

Hi guys, I currently have the Ultimate Collection, plus some other resources. I like having many different commentaries and resources and I find that the Info Pane is the easiest way to quickly find revelant material when I am looking at a passage. My question though is, when looking to exegete a passage or when preparing a sermon, what are your "go to commentaries." Also do you have any particular order for reading commentaries? For example, to first look at a more technical commentary with a focus on the orginal language, or first look at a commentary that deals more with the background? If anybody has a "method" or any suggestion that would be great, thanks!

I have several go to commentaries:

• Comfort Text Commentary
  • IVP NT/OT Background Commentaries
  • Tyndale Commentary
  • NIVAC
  • Pillar NT Commentary

I always look at Comfort first to help me understand the variants and to see if any of the variants would impact my sermon. Next I look at the background commentaries as this gives me insight into any cultural issues at play. After that, it is really a toss-up.

For preparing sermons, I often recommend a commentary in each of the following categories:

1. Technical (Word, NIGNT, etc.)

2. Background (IVP NT/OT or ZIBBCNT/OT)

3. Application/Devotional (NIVAC (best) or something like Matthew Henry, etc.)

• Like 1

For sermons, I tend to get a very top level general feel first using study bibles (esv and the jps and jewish annotaded nt, together with beale's ot use in the nt as appropriate).

Then agree with dr j though tend to leave gestation periods between each to see what strikes a chord with what is happening rather than get overload of info and read everything in one sitting.

I tend to use word and nivac but it does depend on what i am doing it for and i do have several very different congregations. It also depends what i want to dig depper into but there are several i have virtually stopped using now and i do have a small library compared to many on this forum.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Thanks for the suggestions, that helps.

The New Interpreter's Bible Commentary Ten Volume Set  

This new addition to the New Interpreter’s Bible brand is a ten-volume set of the commentary-only from the New Interpreter’s Bible Commentary. 

The New Interpreter's Bible Commentary offers critically sound biblical interpretations. Guided by scholars, pastors and laity representing diverse traditions and academic experience, this collection of commentary meets the needs of preachers, teachers, and all students of the Bible.

Easy-To-Use Format

• A detailed, critical commentary providing an exegetical "close-reading" of the biblical text
  • Reflections that present a detailed exposition of issues raised in the biblical text
  • Introductions to each book that cover essential historical, sociocultural, literary, and theological issues
  • An ecumenical roster of contributors
  • Comprehensive, concise articles
  • Numerous visual aids (illustrations, maps, charts, timelines) enhance use

This is basically giving you the commentary without the 2.2 translations (NRSV NIV1984/NAB Apoch) of the Bible... There may have been a very practical reason for this. Zondervan may have not wanted reprints to include the 1984 which would have made for a complete reworking of the texts, the NAB too has been revised since its release. While I am sure errata will have been fully incorporated from reading the above discription I am not sure that there is any other changes at all...

-Dan

PS:The errata had been fully incorporated into the original final digital edition, and are reflected in the current editions offered by Accordance and FL.

PPS:I find it somewhat disturbing that they have moved all deuterocanonical works to a single volume. But I suppose there might be those wishing to purchase only that volume or not having that volume. I am also a bit disturbed that volume 10 does lot list it having the index which is the 13th original volume and did have a lot of value to it:

The New Interpreter's Bible Index (NIB Index) is the definitive reference guide to the major subjects, names, and places discussed in the New Interpreter's Bible: A Commentary in Twelve Volumes (NIB).

The NIB Index continues the NIB tradition of providing the best in contemporary biblical scholarship for the service of the church, through the enhancement of preaching, teaching, and the study of the Scriptures. The design of the NIB Index, like that of the NIB, was shaped by two controlling principles: (1) form serves function, and (2) maximum ease of use.

The NIB Index allows fast and easy access to all twelve volumes of the NIB, resulting in optimum use of the commentary. Now the reader can search for and find references to and in-depth discussions on a wide variety of topics, including the NIB'svisual aids as well as its text.

Focusing on those entries that address a topic substantially and advance discussion significantly for the reader's needs produced the following indexes:

·      Subjects and Themes

·      Ancient Literature

·      Persons in the Bible

·      Persons Outside the Bible

·      Places in the Bible 

·      Places Outside the Bible

·      Biblical Languages: Hebrew and Greek

·      Lists of Maps, Charts, Illustrations, and Abbreviations

·      Excursuses (further expositions of biblical topics)

·      Reference Lists from the Bible (for example, prayers in the Bible and names of women in the Bible).

Arrangement of the indexed terms is appropriate for students, teachers, and preachers of the Scriptures. For example:

• Main Headings that are relevant to the interests of the reader
  • Cross-References to guide the reader to related areas of interest
  • Format that is easy to read with clear, large type
  • Accuracy in page references

Scope that encompasses from names, places, and themes, to Greek and Hebrew words with their translations.

I am sorry not to have responded earlier but thought someone might have mentioned it. The NIB Commentary is essential in my mind.

NEW INTERPRETER'S BIBLE 12-VOLUME COMMENTARY

-Dan

seeing tim's response and the current sale, would any like to comment on comfort or mezger for text commentary? I am after one and think i am leaning towards comfort from the podcast (thanks dr j) and various reviews. I am not too concerned what translations are used within the congregation but i am very weak on greek.

Thanks.

Ps, i appreciate they are different and advised that they complement each other.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

seeing tim's response and the current sale, would any like to comment on comfort or mezger for text commentary?

I'd be interested in any comments on this also

Thx

D

You can see from the attached image that Comfort combines some of the functions of an apparatus, explaining the reasons for any important variants. Comfort is also more extensive in the number of verses covered. Sort of like Metzger on steroids. :-)

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-22%20at%2012.31.

• Like 3

Thanks mark, i noticed that on ricks reply on another thread!

;o)

seeing tim's response and the current sale, would any like to comment on comfort or mezger for text commentary?

If I had to choose just one, I'd get Comfort. Metzger sometimes offers interesting points that aren't in Comfort and writes from the perspective of someone actually on the committee, but on the whole I think Comfort provides more information and clearer explanations. Comfort also designed the book to be useful for people who haven't studied Greek, which sounds like it would be helpful for you.

• Like 4

Surprise, surprise, i got comfort and it looks to be the right resource for me so thanks to all help on both threads.

Is there an equivalent for hebrew scriptures?

I can't stress how helpful this forum is for identifying useful resources which i wouldnt normally come across.

Edited by ukfraser

If there is an equivalent to Comfort for the Hebrew, I would indeed be interested to know (my Greek is passable, but I cannot even read Hebrew anymore).

• Like 1

The New Interpreter's Bible Commentary Ten Volume Set…

I wanted to apologize for this out of context post it was meant for someone in another post, thankfully he saw it here... I am just scratching my head as to how i posted it here rather than the thread it was meant for...

-Dan

If there is an equivalent to Comfort for the Hebrew, I would indeed be interested to know (my Greek is passable, but I cannot even read Hebrew anymore).

The closet thing I own in accordance or elsewhere is Expositors Bible Commentary notes (see below)

Exod 18:12  Instead of “Then [Jethro] ... brought” for וַיִּקַּח (wayyiqqah), the RSV follows the Syriac, Targum, and Vulgate in reading “offered.” These versions did not have another Hebrew text but were probably interpreting the one we presently have. However, Aelred Cody (“Exodus 18, 12: Jethro Accepts a Covenant With the Israelites,” Biblica  49 [1968]: 159–61) argues that if the Syriac and other versions read wayyiqqah  as weqarreb  (“and he drew near [in order to offer a sacrifice]“), why did they not use the word meaning precisely that: hiqrib, hebi’  he‘ela  with its cognate accusative ‘olah  or some form of zbh  with its cognate accusative zebahim?  Cody wants to take laqah  in its more particular sense, “to accept” (BDB, p. 543, s.v. laqah  Qal, 4.f). The point is that Jethro himself did not offer the burnt offering.

It is most unusual to see an עֹלָה (‘olah  “burnt offering”; later revealed in Lev 1) coming from this Gentile, unless Jethro, too, was a believer who was willing to dedicate himself totally to Yahweh as this offering symbolized.

EBC Notes. 1st, Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1990), n.p.

Many commentaries have good textual  commentary as part of there work  which is basically what the above is, I would be interested in a work like you asked about.

-Dan

No, but this might be in part due to the fact that the basis of the BHS is one codex already, rather than the eclectic approach of the GNT. But probably it's just because the Hebrew Bible is so long. :)

Edited by Abram K-J
  • Like 1

i was thinking about all the variants for example from the work from the dead sea scrolls. Interesting times for the scholars. ;o)

• Like 1