Installing Downloaded Modules

grj

I just ordered the Library 7 Introductory package. Then chose the ESV as my free unlock. Is it possible to download the ESV bible module and install it with the Start Package while awaiting the arrival of my CDs?

Thanks,

Gary

I did the same thing today (7.1 Intro package), but with the NRSV as the free Bible unlock. I got the unlock code in the email, and downloaded a zip file with the NRSV in it. I unzipped the file and got a folder with a file in it that says "NRSV installer" with no extension on it. If I click it, Accordance launches and then says:

"The name 'NRSV Installer' cannot be used, since it is used by a different file type."

This makes, shall I say, little sense.

If I go to the Edit > Arrange Modules, and try to select the "NRSV Installer" file, it does not let me choose the file.

So, does anyone know how to install a downloaded Bible? I have the unlock code, but I do not have a clue how to use it. I've been searching the forum, google, the help docs, with no luck whatsoever so far.

Is it supposed to be this undocumented? :)

Doug

Never mind, I found the download page. It is installed and working.

Doug,

I did not have any problems installing. I am brand new to the Mac world so cannot offer any advice.

When you look at "Arrange Modules" is the NSRV listed?

To install all I did was double-click the installer file in the zip file I downloaded.

Gary

The NRSV is not listed. Where did you download it from? I had 6.9 with the free starter package and it upgraded it. I wonder if I should completely start over from scratch.

Was the ESV listed in your modules? How did you install it?

Thanks

Doug

Doug,

I downloaded the ESV from

Accordance Downloadable Modules

The NRSV is one of them.

I simply downloaded the zip file. The install file was extracted to my desktop. I double-clicked the install file, followed the prompts and that was it.

Gary

I have the NRSV now, and got it to work. I tried the .sit and it worked, though it was named the same as the .zip once I uncompressed it.

Accordance booted up and the NRSV was in there!

But then I noticed that Accordance was installed in the root of my computer so I moved it to the applications folder. I then downloaded the starter package (free) and got the exact same error when I tried to install it.

I hope a tech support person is following this!

Why is Accordance installed in the root? Can I move it and not mess up other installers?

Why do I get:

"The name 'Starter Collection Installer" cannot be used, since it is used by a different type of file"

How do I install the starter package now?

When you install Accordance the installer will ask you where you want to put the program. If you chose the root, then that's where it will install. You should probably choose the Applications folder instead. Moving the package to the Applications folder should not mess up the other installers, because each time you run an installer it asks you where you want to install Accordance. Usually for me it finds where it is already installed, so I just click OK.

Are you saying you get an error when you double-click the Install Starter Package installer from the Desktop, or are you trying to do something else?

I do not know how or why you are getting the message that "the name xxx cannot be used since it is used by a different type of file."

You first run the Accordance installer. We have always installed at the root level but you are free to move the entire Accordance folder to Applications, just do not move Accordance out of the folder or you will really mess up the links to the other files.

Then you can download any installer for which you have the code. Free Bibles also need a code from the office, since we do need to pay royalties. ;) The Starter Collection needs no code.

On OS X you can download either a .sit (these need StuffIt Expander which was included in all systems up to 10.3, but no longer is included), or a .zip. Either of these will expand to give you the Installer file. Double-click the file to launch the installer, enter your own Mac password at the beginning and the unlock code for the module when requested.

Double-clicking the installer should not launch Accordance, and I have no idea what might cause this. If it still happens, please do a Get Info on the Installer and send me details on the file. It should be an Application, created by MindVision.

When you install Accordance the installer will ask you where you want to put the program. If you chose the root, then that's where it will install. You should probably choose the Applications folder instead. Moving the package to the Applications folder should not mess up the other installers, because each time you run an installer it asks you where you want to install Accordance. Usually for me it finds where it is already installed, so I just click OK.

Are you saying you get an error when you double-click the Install Starter Package installer from the Desktop, or are you trying to do something else?

I did move Accordance, as you can with an OSX app, and it works fine.

I did re-download the starter package zip file and it did not work again. I should mention that the NRSV zip did not work either. In both cases, I downloaded the optional .sit, which is specified as for older Mac OSs. In both cases, the installer from the .sit worked each time perfectly. Neither of the installers from the .zip knew what to do with themselves, and gave the error I posted twice.

Bottom line right now is that I am running the NRSV and the Starter package just fine now, from the installers in the .sit archives from the download page.

Thanks!

Doug

I wonder what system you have? Obviously it is not decompressing the .zip files correctly. Please see my post above, we all posted at the same time.

I wonder what system you have? Obviously it is not decompressing the .zip files correctly. Please see my post above, we all posted at the same time.

Here are some screenshots. I have stuffit installed and it handles both the .zip and .sit when I click them.

I'm on a fully-up-to-date Mac.

From the info screen shot you can see that the Mac thinks the installer file from the .zip needs to be opened by Accordance.app. This is simply what it did when I clicked it.

Notice screenshot 8. This is right after I unzip it. When I click it, you get screenshot 9. Not knowing what to do here, I simply tried to get Accordance to open it, but that doesn't work either...

But, the .sit is right 100% of the time on my system.

I'd be glad to send any other info from my system to you if it helps iron out what could be causing the .zips, on my end, to become faulty.

Doug

post-463-1180841798_thumb.png

post-463-1180841807_thumb.png

post-463-1180841865_thumb.png

post-463-1180841900_thumb.png

post-463-1180842154_thumb.png

post-463-1180842242_thumb.png

Like I said, the .zips are not being correctly unstuffed. On my system these are handled by the BOMArchiveHelper.app rather than StuffIt. Maybe your StuffIt is old.

I'm afraid I won't be able to reply again until the morning.

Bingo. I deleted Stuffit. It said v 7.0.3 from 2003. I have no clue where it came from. Must have come with some other app because I got the Mac in 2005 and do recall the "BOM" tool you mention above. Somehow, this old version, written for OS9 and earlier, got a hold of my zip functionality.

I deleted it, downloaded the NRSV zip again, and as soon as I unzipped it, with no Stuffit involved, I got an installer icon in the directory. I clicked it and it worked like a charm on the first try.

Thanks for your late night tech support!

Doug

post-463-1180843723_thumb.png

Archived