Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

Well, everyone, remember that drops and heat are the two factors that wear on motherboards. I try hard not to do the first. The second is harder to eliminate.

When I record or process video, the HD spins like crazy, generating a lot of heat. That's particularly true of those that spin at 7200 RPM, which used to be the recommended speed for video. The new SSDs are even faster than the 7200s—and they generate almost no heat (and no noise!). I'm really curious if this will mean a longer life for my motherboard.

Unfortunately, I seem to have one of the bad video boards Apple had trouble with in early 2011. It fails intermittently, so I keep working on this laptop. I'd get it repaired, but my serial number doesn't qualify—and I use it too much to let it go easily.

I did buy a 5k iMac recently for video. Unfortunately, I was not able to afford the SSD version, so wound up with the fusion drive. We'll see how it works.

I hope that nobody is bothered that I grabbed this thread to pose some questions.  My apologies if I'm stepping on anyone's feet.

Yesterday my wife indicated that I should look at a PC laptop to run another high-quality Bible study software that is geared to Windows.  That software is BibleWorks.  After some discussion, we both decided that a purchase of hardware that was limited to running Windows (not my favorite, as I prefer UNIXy stuff) was probably a bad move since I can't fall back to OS X in case Windows 10 is not the neat-o thing that folks are making it out to be.  We are looking at either the current 15" MBP or an iMac.  We have a very nice large desk with an awesome leather chair that we could park the iMac on, but about 25 feet behind this desk we have a large window with shutters and I'm a bit concerned that the screen on the iMac might prove to be somewhat irritating with the backlighting.  What has been your experience with your iMac?  I am planning on obtaining a Windows 10 license and using Bootcamp for BibleWorks (Accordance for Windows and MS Office 2016 too), as well as maintaining my OS X partition.

For the MBP, I was looking at the 512GB SSD and partitioning it in half for each OS.  Not sure about what I'd do with an iMac yet, but something similar.  I'm pretty curious about your opinion of your iMac vs the MBP that I'm looking at.  I have a nice matte screen large display that I can easily use with the MBP that works in landscape or portrait mode.

Thank you,

Michael

#22 EricC

EricC

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

We are looking at either the current 15" MBP or an iMac.  We have a very nice large desk with an awesome leather chair that we could park the iMac on, but about 25 feet behind this desk we have a large window with shutters and I'm a bit concerned that the screen on the iMac might prove to be somewhat irritating with the backlighting.  What has been your experience with your iMac?  I am planning on obtaining a Windows 10 license and using Bootcamp for BibleWorks (Accordance for Windows and MS Office 2016 too), as well as maintaining my OS X partition.

For the MBP, I was looking at the 512GB SSD and partitioning it in half for each OS.  Not sure about what I'd do with an iMac yet, but something similar.  I'm pretty curious about your opinion of your iMac vs the MBP that I'm looking at. 

I would also get an other Mac rather than an Windows machine.

I can't speak about backlighting much, although I'm often in a room using my 2011 MBP. If the sun is coming in directly, I have to shut the curtains. But that's to be expected.

What I would offer as a suggestion is using www.virtualbox.org's free software + a Windows 7 or 10 license rather than using the Bootcamp partition. I don't think you can have the Mac side running and Bootcamp at the same time. I run Windows in VirtualBox almost 24/7 on my MBP. It's got 16GB of RAM and now I have a 960GB SSD. I switch between worlds with ease and copy paste between one side and the other all the time. 

Just my thoughts.

• Michael Miles likes this

#23 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

We are looking at either the current 15" MBP or an iMac.  We have a very nice large desk with an awesome leather chair that we could park the iMac on, but about 25 feet behind this desk we have a large window with shutters and I'm a bit concerned that the screen on the iMac might prove to be somewhat irritating with the backlighting.  What has been your experience with your iMac?  I am planning on obtaining a Windows 10 license and using Bootcamp for BibleWorks (Accordance for Windows and MS Office 2016 too), as well as maintaining my OS X partition.

For the MBP, I was looking at the 512GB SSD and partitioning it in half for each OS.  Not sure about what I'd do with an iMac yet, but something similar.  I'm pretty curious about your opinion of your iMac vs the MBP that I'm looking at. 

I would also get an other Mac rather than an Windows machine.

I can't speak about backlighting much, although I'm often in a room using my 2011 MBP. If the sun is coming in directly, I have to shut the curtains. But that's to be expected.

What I would offer as a suggestion is using www.virtualbox.org's free software + a Windows 7 or 10 license rather than using the Bootcamp partition. I don't think you can have the Mac side running and Bootcamp at the same time. I run Windows in VirtualBox almost 24/7 on my MBP. It's got 16GB of RAM and now I have a 960GB SSD. I switch between worlds with ease and copy paste between one side and the other all the time. 

Just my thoughts.

I was setting up VirtualBox on the 2011 17" MBP here when my wife indicated that she would rather that I just get a new computer and dual boot it.  I have a Windows 7 license tied to VB already that I could upgrade for free to Win 10.  Your thoughts parallel mine, but she does a great job of keeping our ducks in a row and I respect her thoughts.  If she wants me to get a new computer...  :)

#24 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Well, seeing as all other platforms are "beleaguered" and on "death watch" you should just buy a Mac.

(For the uninitiated, that's what people were saying about Apple for years)

#25 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

Well, seeing as all other platforms are "beleaguered" and on "death watch" you should just buy a Mac.

(For the uninitiated, that's what people were saying about Apple for years)

I thought that this was the year of the Linux Desktop.  Wait, that was last year, wasn't it?   :)

• Alistair likes this

#26 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

The solution at this point would appear to be a monster box with a decent Hypervisor and OSX, Linux, and Windows installed, common file formats and shared disk mounts.

Of just do everything in Java :)

Thx

D

• Michael Miles and Michel Gilbert like this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#27 Brian K. Mitchell

Brian K. Mitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

Greetings Michael Miles,

I hope that nobody is bothered that I grabbed this thread to pose some questions.  My apologies if I'm stepping on anyone's feet.

I am the OP of this thread and I find your questions of great interest as I still have yet to buy a new computer. I have heard that new Mac books come out in the spring so I am waiting to make my decision. 

• Daniel Francis and Michael Miles like this

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Currently running Accordance on:

Windows 10 (64bit)

FRNX Series  (2015)
Core i7-4710 MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

#28 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

I went ahead and ordered the MacBook Pro at BestBuy as they had it for $100 less than Apple.   I'm going to partition the 512gb drive so Win10 gets a chunk.  I'm not much for Windows, but the rest of the world seems to be.

#29 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

Greetings Michael Miles,

I am the OP of this thread and I find your questions of great interest as I still have yet to buy a new computer. I have heard that new Mac books come out in the spring so I am waiting to make my decision. 

If you want to keep up with the best timing for buying a new Apple device of any kind, this is the place to go.

• Brian K. Mitchell likes this

Julia Falling

13" MacBook Pro Catalina Accordance 13
mid-2017 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)
16 GB RAM;
512 GB SSD

iPad Pro (9.7") iPadOS 13
128 GB
iAccord 3

iPhone 11 iOS 13
128 GB
iAccord 3

Used for backup only:
Mac mini Catalina Accordance 13
late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
16 GB RAM; 1.12 TB Fusion Drive

#30 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:57 PM

I went ahead and ordered the MacBook Pro at BestBuy as they had it for $100 less than Apple.   I'm going to partition the 512gb drive so Win10 gets a chunk.  I'm not much for Windows, but the rest of the world seems to be.

The 15" MBP showed up today.  Yow!  I'm making a Windows 10 ISO file even as I type this.  Going to try that Boot Camp thing maybe tomorrow night after I get home from the salt mine.

The first thing that I noticed on the 15" besides the great screen was that I don't have to reach so far back to reach the keys like I do on the 2011 17" MBP.  I can get rid of the elbow pads now.

I'm going to wipe the drive on the MacBook Air and install ONLY Accordance and maybe Mellel.  That's my focus machine.   And it's small enough to put on my lap in the recliner while the cat squeezes in.

#31 Brian K. Mitchell

Brian K. Mitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

If you want to keep up with the best timing for buying a new Apple device of any kind, this is the place to go.

Thank you! I did not know about that website before.

Windows 10 (64bit)

FRNX Series  (2015)

#32 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:14 AM

LOL.  I got the new MacBook Pro all set up with splitting the 512GB SSD into two partitions with Windows 10 Pro on one partition.  I installed BibleWorks and Office 2016 and then went to install Accordance.  I was not aware that there were any limits on how many times you can install Accordance, but I have magically hit that number.  So, I have no Accordance on either the OS X partition or the Windows partition.  This is not good.  I left an email with Accordance assuring them that I regularly wipe entire OS installations for whatever whim strikes me that day.

Hopefully, I'll be able to install Accordance on this new machine sometime soon.

:(

#33 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:16 AM

LOL.  I got the new MacBook Pro all set up with splitting the 512GB SSD into two partitions with Windows 10 Pro on one partition.  I installed BibleWorks and Office 2016 and then went to install Accordance.  I was not aware that there were any limits on how many times you can install Accordance, but I have magically hit that number.  So, I have no Accordance on either the OS X partition or the Windows partition.  This is not good.  I left an email with Accordance assuring them that I regularly wipe entire OS installations for whatever whim strikes me that day.

Hopefully, I'll be able to install Accordance on this new machine sometime soon.

:(

BTW, Windows 10 screams on this laptop.  I just may start to like Windows again.

#34 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:04 AM

wow.  So, I drop the new MBP and go open Accordance on the MBA and that computer tells me that I have used Accordance too many times and shuts me out.  I only have one day off this week and I won't be able to use Accordance, it appears.  Nice.   :)

#35 Brian K. Mitchell

Brian K. Mitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:12 AM

That sounds like a trial version of Accordance. If you have an Accordance account and I am sure you must, then you might try signing in to the software through the validation service and seeing if that changes anything. And/or downloading the full version of Accordance again from the following link http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers/

Windows 10 (64bit)

FRNX Series  (2015)

#36 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:53 AM

That sounds like a trial version of Accordance. If you have an Accordance account and I am sure you must, then you might try signing in to the software through the validation service and seeing if that changes anything. And/or downloading the full version of Accordance again from the following link http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers/

Nope,  It's a bone-fide real deal Accordance program.  The MacBook Air is locked out, the 17" MacBook Pro is locked out, and probably the old Lenovo T61p that I just relegated out to the garage won't work either.  The Accordance on my iPhone works.  I'm probably 1 wipe of the phone away from losing that as well.  LOL.

This is what pops up before your account gets locked:

Attached File  Too Many Times.png   32.04KB   0 downloads

This happened to me years ago with BibleWorks and they know that I gut operating systems on a regular basis.  I never felt the need to tell Accordance until today.

Suddenly, I feel like only investing in printed books.  

Attached File  smiley face.jpg   67.92KB   0 downloads

#37 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:57 AM

Time to fire up Xcode and write my own Bible software.  I'll name it Massorah and only 17 people will know what that is.   :)  I'll put Logos out of business.  <------

#38 Brian K. Mitchell

Brian K. Mitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the explanation I now understand the issue a lot more, because I experienced this (or something like this) with BW when I used to go change out my PC's more often. I am guessing this some type of DRM or precaution that some software companies implement to prevent their software from being pirated.  

Time to fire up Xcode and write my own Bible software.  I'll name it Massorah and only 17 people will know what that is.    

Oh, I am sure a lot more would know what Massorah means, but I understand your point. 

Windows 10 (64bit)

FRNX Series  (2015)

#39 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the explanation I now understand the issue a lot more, because I experienced this (or something like this) with BW when I used to go change out my PC's more often. I am guessing this some type of DRM or precaution that some software companies implement to prevent their software from being pirated.  

Oh, I am sure a lot more would know what Massorah means, but I understand your point. 

I'm actually quite surprised that more people do not consider the Massorah in their studies.  Maybe I should invest some time in that massorah.net web site to show some nifty examples of how it locks in bits of Old Testament understanding.

Oh, and you should definitely look at the 15" MBP Retina for your new computer.  It is a very slick and well built machine.  

#40 Brian K. Mitchell

Brian K. Mitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:42 AM

Oh, and you should definitely look at the 15" MBP Retina for your new computer.  It is a very slick and well built machine.  

The MBP does look nice, but the price at least where I live is much higher than what it would be in the states. That, is part of the reason I am waiting for a newer model than the one I want to be released.

Windows 10 (64bit)

FRNX Series  (2015)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: notebook, laptop, Mac, advice, recommendations, speed, specs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users