Version of Word commentary

Alistair

I have been been upgrading my Word commentaries but have found the version numbers confusing.

I have multiple copies of the Word modules, the older version (in About the text) seems to be numbered 1.6 and the newer version is 1.0.

Shurely shome mishtake?

The new sets are at version1.0 and so are the new or revised volumes. Updates of the older volumes should have higher version numbers.

I'm a bit confused, too.  This is what I have after upgrading:

post-330-0-07352300-1441126659_thumb.jpg

The volumes that are listed separately are the new volumes?

Did I buy the wrong thing?  Is there some way of incorporating all of it in just two modules, OT & NT?

Thanks

Julie the upgrade page states that the original unrevised volumes were being included for those who already had owned them. Yes the updated ones are more likely better but it is nice to have the older editions incase something was excised we found insightful.

-Dan

Julie,

We know it's confusing.

We are required (by the publishers) to remove several volumes from the available offerings (specificially, certain volumes within WBC-Joshua, WBC-Psalms, and WBC-2Cor). These contain volumes that are being replaced by newly released revised versions. In order to make it possible for users to maintain the old versions (i.e. Joshua v7) as well as the new version (i.e. Joshua v7a and v7b), we had to add them to the old sets (WBC-NT and WBC-OT). So, the "extra" volumes you are seeing are probably the additional added volumes from your initial purchase (looks like WBC-58 Set). So now you have access to both the original volumes as well as the revised volumes. Otherwise the WBC-62 Set would replace your original Joshua v7 with Joshua v7a/v7b.

If you don't want access to the original versions, you can remove the 4 individual volumes from your library.

Edited by Julie Palmer
  • Like 1

Thanks Julie, that now make sense to me. I deleted the older WBC-58 set and have kept the individual volumes. 

On a similar note, I sort of wish the NICNT 3 updated volumes were either incorporated into the NICNT package and the older ones split out like this. Just a thought...

• Like 1

The new sets are at version1.0 and so are the new or revised volumes. Updates of the older volumes should have higher version numbers.

OK but I fail to see the logic behind this.

Julie,

We know it's confusing.

We are required (by the publishers) to remove several volumes from the available offerings (specificially, certain volumes within WBC-Joshua, WBC-Psalms, and WBC-2Cor). These contain volumes that are being replaced by newly released revised versions. In order to make it possible for users to maintain the old versions (i.e. Joshua v7) as well as the new version (i.e. Joshua v7a and v7b), we had to add them to the old sets (WBC-NT and WBC-OT). So, the "extra" volumes you are seeing are probably the additional added volumes from your initial purchase (looks like WBC-58 Set). So now you have access to both the original volumes as well as the revised volumes. Otherwise the WBC-62 Set would replace your original Joshua v7 with Joshua v7a/v7b.

If you don't want access to the original versions, you can remove the 4 individual volumes from your library.

Thanks, Julie.  What I'm seeing in what I've got is that the individual volume is the new one; the large, more complete module has the old versions.  Is this right?  If there were a choice, I'd rather have the updated volumes within the more complete WBC-OT & WBC-NT and the older volumes as separate.  Is this possible?  The only way I can easily tell is to search for highlights.  The free-standing volumes have none (so they're new).  The volumes incorporated in the set are the old ones (with highlights).  

Thanks, and sorry about being so dense.

The new revised versions (i.e. WBC-Psalms-3, WBC-2Corinthians, WBC-NT-26) are all brand new modules. Therefore, they are set at 1.0.

If it was an existing module (i.e. WBC-Genesis) that was not one of the volumes that received a revision, it was updated just like any other update. Therefore, their rev #s were simply incremented as normal.

Julie,

I may just add to the confusion with this ... the individual modules should be the old version, however, it is a new module. There will be no highlights because the individual module was not included with the old WBC-58 Set until this week. So while you had the old version of 2 Corinthians included within WBC-NT, you now have a second copy as an individual module (WBC-2Cor).

Let me try to lay it out with specifics with one of the volumes:

2 Corinthians

• WBC-2Cor is the old version (1986) (You probably have this version as the individual module.)
  • WBC-2Corinthians is the new revised version (2014)
  • The 1986 version is included in WBC-NT (and WBC-58 Set); it is also now available as an individual module for those who purchased either of those sets.
  • The 2014 version is included in WBC-NT-26 (and WBC-62 Set)

So for someone who previously purchased WBC-NT, they will now see in Easy Install that the WBC-2Cor module is listed as a "missing item" under WBC-NT.

Keep asking questions ... we'll get through this!!! :)

Julie

I discovered that, unless I deleted the old versions, the new WBC-NT & WBC-OT wouldn't install.  So I delete the all the old and then ran Easy Install.   Accordance installed the new stuff and reinstalled the old as well.  Worked just fine.

No longer muddled.

And the separate volumes do appear to be the older ones.  I'll hold onto the old sets long enough to make sure I've got all my highlights transferred.

This was definitely more confusing than previous upgrades, but all is working well now.  The deleting first was the key for me.

We certainly apologize for the confusion with this upgrade. We were trying to work around the publisher not allowing us to include the "replaced" volumes with the new sets and at the same time allow users to still have access to them.

Glad you are set.

Julie

One more tiny bit of “confusion” with the upgrade. 

http://www.accordancebible.com/articles/wbc2015.php

This page still indicates that “regular” price for the entire set is $599: 

post-33003-0-96323100-1441149557_thumb.jpg

But if you click on it, the “sale” price is $619.38.   :)

(I do realize $599 was for the non-updated set with the old pricing. I just think the website might be confusing to people as it is written.)

Edited by Susan

Thanks, Susan. You were right. That was the old set. I have removed that bit of confusion!!

• Like 1

Not overly important but I didn't get the old files for downloading... Although I am just glad to have the updated files installed (before deleting the old sets Accordance would only open the old set even when i selected the new volumes)....

-Dan

Job chapter 28 is missing from the module, is that an error or is it missing from the commentary?

Mine is there.... I'll paste the beginning of it at the bottom of this message. Please confirm it is the NEW version that is opening up, for whatever reason before deleting my old 58 volume version it refused to open the new ones... in the table of contents you should see the 2 volumes on Joshua and 3 volumes on Job,

post-29263-0-54544500-1441166432_thumb.png

If you confirm you are opening the new version and it is still not showing up something is corrupt and all I can advise is deleting it and redownloading it.

-Dan

Translation

1aSurely b there is a mine c for silver,
  dand a place for gold that will be refined.e
  2Iron is taken a from the soil,b
  rock c that will be poured out d as copper.e
  3 aAn end is put b to darkness,
  and c to the furthest bound they d seek e the ore f
  gin gloom and deep darkness.h
  4 aA foreign race b cuts c the shafts; d
  forgotten e by travelers,f
  gfar away from humansh they dangle i and sway.j

[vol. 18A, p. 893]

5 aThat earth from which food b comes forth
  is underneath c changed d as if by fire.e
  6Its rocks are the source of lapis,a
  with its flecks b of gold.

7 aThere is a path b no bird of prey c knows,
  unseen d by the eyes of falcons.e
  8The proud beasts a have not trodden b it,
  no lion c has prowled d it.
  9 aThe men b set their hand against the flinty rock,
  and overturn c mountains at their roots.d
  10They split open a channels b in the rocks,c
  and their eye lights on any d precious object.
  11 aThey explore b the sources c of rivers,d
  bringing to light e what has been hidden.f

12 aBut b where c is wisdom to be found? d
  And where is the place of understanding?
  13Humans do not know the way to it; a
  it is not to be found in the land of the living.
  14 aThe ocean deep b says, “It is not in me,”
  and the sea, “Not with me.”

15 aIt cannot be bought with refined gold,b
  and its price cannot be weighed out in silver.
  16It cannot be valued a against gold b of Ophir,
  against precious cornelian c or lapis lazuli.d
  17Gold and glass a cannot b equal it,c
  and jewels d of gold cannot be exchanged for it.
  18Coral a and rock crystal b are not worthy of mention c beside it;
  a pouch d of wisdom fetches more than rubies.e
  19 aThe olivine b of Cush cannot compare c with it,
  it cannot be valued against pure gold.

20But whence comes wisdom?
  And where is the place of understanding?
  21It is hidden a from the eyes of every living being,b
  concealed from the birds of the sky.
  22Abaddon and Death say,
  “We know of it only by hearsay.”

23But God understands a the way to it; b
  it is he who knows its place.
  24 aFor b he looked c to the ends of the earth,
  and beheld everything under the heavens,d
  25so as to assign a a weight b to the wind,
  and determine c the waters by measure,d

[vol. 18A, p. 894]

26when he made a decree a for the rain,
  and a path for the thunderbolt b—
  27then a he saw b it and appraised c it,
  established d it and fathomed e it.
  28 aAnd he said to humankind,b
  Behold, wisdom is to fear the Lord,c
  understanding is to shun evil.

Notes

1.a. Some would insert at the head of the poem the refrain of v 12, “where shall wisdom be found?” (so Duhm, Beer [bH2], Peake, Strahan, Moffatt, Fohrer); but it is not immediately obvious how the existence of mines for metals could be the reason for asking “Where shall wisdom be found?”

David J. A. Clines, Job 21–37, vol. 18A of Word Biblical Commentary. Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006), n.p.
Edited by Dan Francis

I am still very confused, I want to update my WBC to the latst version but I see different update options and have no idea which one is the right one for me. How can I find out?

David the only real question is did you get judges volume earlier this year or not if yes then you select the cheapest upgrade if didn't like me you select the upgrade from 58 to 62. This is of course assuming you own both ot/nt of the WBC.

Dan

Hi going back to cmcintos comment, from the index chapter 28 comes after 32 in the actual commentary.

Edited by ukfraser

David: yes you own the 58 volume set and Judges so you get the cheaper upgrade to the entire set.

Thanks Fraser. I am finding it displays when I enter Job 28:1 not even considering it is out of order which is something I have seen in other commentaries too.

Dan

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm… here is what I'm seeing. Should I just delete the top two lines from the library and move Word Biblical NT/OT to the top?

Cheers,

Tony

post-29437-0-83359100-1443747601_thumb.png

Hmm… here is what I'm seeing. Should I just delete the top two lines from the library and move Word Biblical NT/OT to the top?

Cheers,

Tony

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-02 at 10.57.51 am.png

Yes, Tony. The 26-vol NT and 36-vol OT versions replace the top two that are listed. If you delete the top two modules, you will still have the complete set of resources.

• Like 1

Brilliant! Ta.