WBC Upgrade and Highlights Transferring

Abram K-J

First of all, Accordance has done a phenomenal job explaining a multi-pathed upgrade process. I am sure you all will still get lots of questions, but that will not be for lack of clear explanation on your part. Nicely done!

Second, something occurred to me re: this line from the blog post: "Even when you upgrade your sets and remove the old sets from the Library..."

If I just upgrade the individual volumes, I believe the price in going from 58 to 62 is the same as upgrading the whole series at once. Highlights are supposed to transfer in Accordance now when upgrading commentary series, but I've had mixed results with this. (IIRC, Joel/Helen once told me this is inevitable.)

Is there any reason for me not just to upgrade from 58 to 62 by purchasing the upgrades one-by-one, and just keeping the "old" WBC in my library alongside the new individual volumes, so I will be guaranteed to have all highlights in tact?

I think this is what I'm going to do--thought I'd post here in case others are thinking/wondering about the same thing.

Similarly, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who does upgrade and tries to transfer highlights--what level of success/accuracy they're having. I tried to transfer highlights when upgrading Hermeneia a while back, and it didn't quite get things in the right place, so I just did it manually. I don't really have that option with WBC, since I've marked it up quite a bit.

Since the new 62-volume WBC set is a separate module from the older 58-volume set, highlights will not carry over, but there's nothing to keep you from keeping both sets in your Accordance Library. Both can exist side-by-side. If you so choose, you can manually duplicate highlights at your convenience and eventually remove the old set from your Library.

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 10.33.44 AM.png

We believe that the advantage of having series volumes together in one module outweighs having them as individual volumes, but obviously, this is one downside. However, the Word Biblical Commentary is one of the few series in which we provide both options--together in two modules (OT & NT) and individually as single modules.

Since the new 62-volume WBC set is a separate module from the older 58-volume set, highlights will not carry over...

Ah... I didn't realize this would be the case--I thought even when commentary series got an upgrade to a new/separate module, a recent 11.0.x update (or was it late in 10?) made some semblance of automatic transferring possible.

Ah... I didn't realize this would be the case--I thought even when commentary series got an upgrade to a new/separate module, a recent 11.0.x update (or was it late in 10?) made some semblance of automatic transferring possible.

I don't believe that is going to happen here, but if I am incorrect, perhaps Helen or Joel will provide correct information, and I can strikethrough my earlier comments :-)

As an aside, this is an issue with all electronic books. I occasionally get an email from Amazon about an update to a Kindle title, which I can optionally upgrade, but in doing so, I will lose both notes and highlights. With Accordance titles, we try to retain both for the user, but some cases are a greater challenge than others. 

On the other hand, a few years ago, I found what was a verifiable mistake in a print edition of a Word Biblical Commentary. I contacted Thomas Nelson (this was before they were bought by Zondervan) and reported the error. No matter how many times I pull that print copy off the shelf to check, that error will always be there. I hope it was corrected in later print editions, but Thomas Nelson, and now Zondervan, never offered to send me a free copy of a corrected edition. 

Although there are new challenges to digital books, I'd much rather have editions that get corrected at no extra cost. Ultimately, I find the tradeoffs are very much worth it. 

• Like 1

As an aside, this is an issue with all electronic books. I occasionally get an email from Amazon about an update to a Kindle title, which I can optionally upgrade, but in doing so, I will lose both notes and highlights. With Accordance titles, we try to retain both for the user, but some cases are a greater challenge than others.

True (re: your whole post).

I didn't realize you would lose notes and highlights in Kindle. I've had some iBooks upgrades where everything came over totally in tact.

That said, I have no doubt it's quite difficult to program such a feature!

Highlights should be able to transfer, if the new WBC supports it. If it doesn't yet, I don't think it will be long until the update is posted that well. However, I don't believe there is currently any way to transfer notes, though.

Okay--thanks, Joel.

Am I correct in assuming that an unaffected, non-revised volume (say, Genesis) that doesn't change editions between WBC-58 and WBC-62 would be expected to preserve all highlights accurately for that individual volume?

In the frenzy to get all the new volumes developed, updated copyright info for many of the existing volumes, etc. we did not implement the transfer of highlights. A free update to affected modules will be released as soon as possible.

When this is done it will work from WBC-OT > WBC-OT-36; WBC-NT > WBC-NT-26. Genesis is not affected, but other volumes after it are.

• Like 2

In the frenzy to get all the new volumes developed, updated copyright info for many of the existing volumes, etc. we did not implement the transfer of highlights. A free update to affected modules will be released as soon as possible.

When this is done it will work from WBC-OT > WBC-OT-36; WBC-NT > WBC-NT-26. Genesis is not affected, but other volumes after it are.

Thanks, Rick.

Will new updates (from user-reported corrections) make it into both the "old" WBC series modules or just the "new" ones, such that there really is an advantage to upgrading the whole thing rather than just individual volumes alongside keeping "old" WBC in my library?

Thanks, Rick.

Will new updates (from user-reported corrections) make it into both the "old" WBC series modules or just the "new" ones, such that there really is an advantage to upgrading the whole thing rather than just individual volumes alongside keeping "old" WBC in my library?

Ideally, yes, but if it becomes too much to keep straight we might opt for only updating the current set.

But, I don't understand why you would only update the individual volumes. It's the same price right now. Having all the current volumes in a single module also facilitates better searching, and workflow in my opinion.

But, I don't understand why you would only update the individual volumes. It's the same price right now. Having all the current volumes in a single module also facilitates better searching, and workflow in my opinion.

True. My hesitation in upgrading the whole thing (and also deleting the WBC-58) is in highlights transferring with total accuracy. As I mentioned upthread, my highlights didn't transfer as expected when I upgraded Hermeneia when it expanded. That was only 40 highlights or so, so I could fix it manually, but I have multiple hundreds of highlights in WBC, so manual transferring (if automatic doesn't work as expected) wouldn't be an option. That's why I was reluctant to just jump right over to 62-volume single module and delete my 58-volume one.

Abram, you can keep the 58-volume indefinitely. In my Accordance Library, I created a folder, "Older WBC" and moved the older set and individual titles there. I have no plans on deleting them myself. 

• Like 1

True. My hesitation in upgrading the whole thing (and also deleting the WBC-58) is in highlights transferring with total accuracy. As I mentioned upthread, my highlights didn't transfer as expected when I upgraded Hermeneia when it expanded. That was only 40 highlights or so, so I could fix it manually, but I have multiple hundreds of highlights in WBC, so manual transferring (if automatic doesn't work as expected) wouldn't be an option. That's why I was reluctant to just jump right over to 62-volume single module and delete my 58-volume one.

Once properly implemented on our end (as mentioned above), there's no reason why they shouldn't transfer…unless there are needed bug fixes. This scenario is why we implemented that ability in the first place. If it doesn't work properly, then we need to fix it.

The sale lasts through the entire month. So, you could either wait, or buy it now, wait to delete your older modules and just in case keep backups of your highlight file.

Rick M, what about on ios devices, will the old 58 set remain and well as the 62 set?

Edited by ukfraser

We believe that the advantage of having series volumes together in one module outweighs having them as individual volumes

That makes sense.

I, too, was wondering about highlights and am happy to see that they should be able to transfer over eventually. This is a terrific help.

Once properly implemented on our end (as mentioned above), there's no reason why they shouldn't transfer…unless there are needed bug fixes. This scenario is why we implemented that ability in the first place. If it doesn't work properly, then we need to fix it.

The sale lasts through the entire month. So, you could either wait, or buy it now, wait to delete your older modules and just in case keep backups of your highlight file.

Sure, that seems like a good idea. I just found the old thread, and this process definitely didn't work correctly for me before (http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/13432-hermeneia-upgrade-how-to/?fromsearch=1), but it did for Joel then, so I am willing to give it another try with WBC.

We've just updated WBC-NT-26 to version 1.1 It will now support the transfer of highlights. WBC-OT-36 should be updated and released later today.

[posted in a different thread...]

Edited by Jonathan C. Borland

Jonathan, i suggest you look at the blog but this is the items in ot 36 so vols 19 and 21 are updated.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1