#21 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Gold

• Accordance
  • 255 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

Anyway, thank you for your careful exam. I will correct this and any more mistakes that are found in the next release.

Marco
Marco Valerio Fabbri
P. Università della S. Croce
Rome, Italy

#22 Yohanan

Yohanan

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

I am new on the forum. I was surprised when preaching a retreat these days that the latin psalter was the Iuxta Hebraicum which is of interest for the interpretation as well as some textual interest but should not be given as the first Vulgata text in the Accordance, for it was never the Psalter of the Vulgata. Anyway, I feel happy to have at least the Vulgata text of the psalter, though strangely appearing as a "second choice".

All the best to everybody.

#23 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Gold

• Accordance
  • 255 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:22 AM

Hello,

I am new on the forum. I was surprised when preaching a retreat these days that the latin psalter was the Iuxta Hebraicum which is of interest for the interpretation as well as some textual interest but should not be given as the first Vulgata text in the Accordance, for it was never the Psalter of the Vulgata. Anyway, I feel happy to have at least the Vulgata text of the psalter, though strangely appearing as a "second choice".

All the best to everybody.

Welcome to the Forum!

About the Gallican Psalter vs. the Psalterium iuxta Hebraicum sermonem: it is not that when preparing the module one was considered more important than the other. We are just taking the text out of the Stuttgart edition by Weber and Gryson, and they put the Psalterium iuxta Hebraicum first, that is on the left, while the Psalterium Gallicanum is on the right. The Accordance module does not rework the edition and reconsider the choice of the editors, but rather makes them available within Accordance and adds the tags.

Something similar happens with the Greek in the modules LXX1 and LXX2. LXX2 is smaller, as it contains only alternate texts where they are available in the edition by Rahlfs. In that case, the text that Rahlfs printed at the bottom goes into LXX2, even if it is a better translation or it is closer to the original than the one in LXX1.

That said, I think that there was some time when the Psalterium iuxta Hebraeos made it into the Vulgate. That was after Jerome made the translation, when it gained acceptance together with the new translations of the Prophets that Jerome prepared from the Hebrew.

Then the Psalterium presented in LXX2 became again mainstream at the end of the VIII century, when Alcuin of York supervised the preparation of many copies of the Vulgate, and he chose the older Psalter translation, that Jerome had revised instead or re-doing it from scratch. As that Psalter gained traction from the work of Alcuin, and Alcuin was working at the court of Charlemagne, that Psalter was called Psalterium Gallicanum. So both of them were in the Vulgate, even if they were mainstream at different times.

This is what I find in my books, but I would be glad to learn more.
Marco Valerio Fabbri
P. Università della S. Croce
Rome, Italy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users