Which module for 4QSam?

JPark

According to the DSS Index module, these are 4Q51, 4Q52, and 4Q53 (4QSama, 4QSamb, 4QSamc respectively).

Thanks for the help. When looking at 4Q51, it starts with 1Sam 1.9. However, I've read articles that refer to 4QSam starting in 1Sam 1.1. Any ideas where I could find those texts?

Someone more familiar with the DSS is going to have to chime in.  From what I can tell, everything just starts with the fragment of 1Sam 1:9, then more full text beginning in 1Sam 1:11.

• Like 1

As far as I know—and I think I know fairly far!—there is no text available for 1 Samuel before 1:9 (4Q51). This reflects DJD and Ulrich's The Biblical Qumran Scrolls (Brill, 2010). There are 3 small Samuel fragments in the Schøyen collection that are currently "in press" but they contains bits of 1 Sam 2:11-14, 5:10-11, and 2 Sam 20:22-24. If anyone knows of something I do not, I am "all ears"!

(I use both Accordance versions 10 and 11. The DSSB-C/M modules are my creations)

Edited by Martin Abegg
  • Like 4

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to get my bearings here… So, what about this text, "The Samuel Scroll from Qumran" edited by Andrew Fincke?

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to get my bearings here… So, what about this text, "The Samuel Scroll from Qumran" edited by Andrew Fincke?

It appears that this author is reconstructing the missing text, not actually maintaining that the fragments contain the beginning of 1Sam. You may want to read further in that book to know more (here is a Google Preview if you don't already have it).

• Like 1

Yes, the underlined text in Fincke's edition is extant. Note he does not recognize the fragment that Cross et al place at 1:9 (DJD XVII). I myself would question it. According to an Accordance search for these 3 letters (ה וא) there are 34 hits in 1Sam alone.

• Like 1