Some MT-LXX questions

mortenjensen

Hi all,

I just fell upon this screencast of how an interlinear MT-LXX setup works in Logos: http://screencast.com/t/ZZBKf59nA.

Can this be done in Accordance as well?

- If I buy only the interlinear database (I have tagged NT and tagged LXX), I get a visual setup with tagged texts in instant details, right? Is this all or do I also get search options?

- What will I gain more from buying the full package: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=MT-LXX+Parallel?

- In both cases: can I search for the different word translations of a specific word? How does is it done and what does it look like?

Thanks!

Morten

Morten, as you noted, we have two MT-LXX type products, the interlinear and the parallel.  The interlinear is primarily used just for interlinear display, to easily visually match the greek and hebrew words together.  You can see an example of its display on the linked page (it allows the use of the MT-LXX row).  So, to answer your question, no it does not support searching.  As with all of our interlinear, however, it is dynamic and fully customizable for your full choice of rows under your full choice of texts.

The parallel includes everything provided in the interlinear, plus the full text of the work by Tov and Polak.  So, in addition to the interlinear, you get the full footnotes, nonbiblical portions, and of course (and most importantly?) the search capabilities.  To answer your question, yes you can search for translations of specific words or more.  You can see a good write up of some examples at our blog: Part 1, Part 2.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Morten, as you noted, we have two MT-LXX type products, the interlinear and the parallel.  The interlinear is primarily used just for interlinear display, to easily visually match the greek and hebrew words together.  You can see an example of its display on the linked page (it allows the use of the MT-LXX row).  So, to answer your question, no it does not support searching.  As with all of our interlinear, however, it is dynamic and fully customizable for your full choice of rows under your full choice of texts.

The parallel includes everything provided in the interlinear, plus the full text of the work by Tov and Polak.  So, in addition to the interlinear, you get the full footnotes, nonbiblical portions, and of course (and most importantly?) the search capabilities.  To answer your question, yes you can search for translations of specific words or more.  You can see a good write up of some examples at our blog: Part 1, Part 2.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

I think what he wants is a list of translational equivalents arranged by Greek lexemes when searching a Hebrew lexeme like חזון. This is also possible in the implementation of Tov-Polak in BW. I have never been able to do that in Accordance. Search results in the implementation of MT-LXX in Accordance always follow verse order when what we really want is to see an outline of the Greek lexemes used to translate the Hebrew lexeme. You should really consider implementing this. It is a task we perform very often.  

Thanks to all of you.

Yes, what I would like is two things:

1: An interliniear showing which Greek words translates which Hebrew words. As I understand it, I will get this from buying just the small package. 

2: A way of searching for which words lets say translate "hesed" in the LXX ordered by in a list showing frequency and places - and the other way round.

Can no 2 be done?

Morten

The MT/LXX module will certainly show you all the words translated from a particular Hebrew word (as in the screenshot), but as far as I know, there isn't a way to order the list by frequency of the corresponding word in the LXX (or the other way around). 

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-22%20at%208.51.3

Edited by Mark Allison

1. Is correct, you can get that from either package, including the smaller one.

2. You can search for words that translate, say "hesed", and show these words in order, quickly scanning through your results.  You can also graph out the frequency.  The one thing you cannot easily do is build an ordered list of the translations (say "δικαιοσύνην x10", "ἔλεος x5" etc.).  This can be done, but it involves a few more extra steps.  We have some plans to make this much easier, so you can stay tuned to hear about when this is improved.

I've attached a screenshot showing a simple example of the search  you describe:

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 7.55.40 AM.png

• Like 2