Split View support

Kyle Campbell

After updating to El Capitan, Split View looks incredibly helpful, so I would love to see it in a possible 11.1 release!

• Like 1

I don't normally use my apps in full-screen mode, so this feature of El Capitan won't be particularly useful for me. However, I love being able to quickly do the same thing in a regular window mode. There's an app I've used for several years that will allow you to split your screen in numerous ways, just by dragging apps to the side or bottom of your screen. It's called "Bettersnaptool" and is available on the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

That's a pretty great app. One wonders how it will fare now that El Cap allows for this automatically.

BetterSnapTool is awesome. I've been using it for a number of years, too. I was disappointed to see that Apple's solution was a lesser implementation.

Ok I got El Cap. and Split View is sort of nice but you pretty much have to use it in conjunction with Mission Control, which isn't. Why they felt the need to make Split View work only in Full screen mode I don't know. But as MC now permits more desktops than it used to - not sure when the limit when up to be honest - such SV window pairs end up in the their own MC desktop which is ok. And the desktop gets a sensible name - actually see note below. Alas you still cannot edit desktop names in MC to give them your names. BetterSnap looks good and it will work with MC which is what I like best because I need multiple desktops - but they do interact as you drag things to edges of the screen. But setting the edge timing sensitivity you can get it working, which is what BS suggests. So yep I tend to agree SV which is indeed a weaker offering than BS.

Now if Apple would fix MC, loosen SV or better yet license and integrate BS that would be a nice package.

Note : imagine you are like me - no don't do that :) Imagine, like me, you use a lot of browser windows and would like to have a couple of MC desktops with SV pairs of browser windows set up. Well both desktops get the same name - "Firefox" in my case. Arrgh !

Time to go do some woodwork and relax.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

In case anyone missed it, Accordance now works with El Capitan Split View mode in v. 11.2 released yesterday.