Verse by Verse Reference Numbers in "Insert Verses" Services

nicksyrett

Hi All

I have just switched from Logos to Accordance.  However, I cannot seem to figure out something that was easy in Logos.

I work in MS Word (right now on Word 2016 for Mac (El Capitan).

I want to be able to execute the "insert verses" service and have it import the verse(s) into Word.  I have this working well except for one thing...

When importing more than 1 verse, I want to have the verse numbers in superscript at the beginning of each verse in the paragraph imported.  I cannot figure out how to make this happen.  I would also prefer not to have the version abbreviation import (like "NKJV" - i have to delete this every time).

Please can anybody help me?  I am importing about 75 scriptures every day in my studies and really need those verse reference numbers to show in the imported text.

Many thanks for your help!

You can adjust the default text format that the Insert Verses service by altering the citation preferences in Accordance. Go to:

menu Accordance/Preferences

then select tab Citation.

You can uncheck the including of the "Book Name", and make all KINDS of other customization.

You can uncheck "Ignore Reference Style" which will then use the default format for verse references for that text.

However, I do not think there's a way to make the reference superscript. I'd be happy to be wrong.

• Like 1

Hello Joe...

Many thanks for your help.  It is good to know that I can adjust things using the Citation preference. 

I was able to remove the Bible version reference (NKJV etc) at the end of the citation.  Great!

And as I was playing around with the different options I was able (one-time only) to get it to give me only verse numbers within the imported citation.  But somehow, I cannot get find how I did this!!! Do you happen to know?  Can you make it work on your system?

In other words, I want the scriptures quoted as a paragraph text-block with a verse number before each verse.  At the moment I can only seem to get it to put both chapter and verse numbers before each verse.  It is driving me crazy as I saw it work once with my own eyes so I know there is a way to do this!  

Example:

This is what i want:

“1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  2 He was in the beginning with God.  3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.” (John 1,1–3)

But this is what I am getting:

“1,1   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  1,2 He was in the beginning with God.  1,3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.” (John 1,1–3)

I have selected the "Omit Book and Chapter" option under Content Reference (in Citation Preference) but I am still getting the chapter references as seen above.

If you can help me that would be awesome!  Also, I would be more than willing to pay somebody if they could figure out a way to adjust the service so that the verse numbers are superscript.  That would finally solve all my problems!  Do you know of anybody who might be able to help me with this?

Many thanks for your quick reply!

You're one up on me as far as using Accordance services with Word 2016.  I can use them with Mellel, Pages, BBEdit... but not Word 2016.  Is there something that you did or enabled to get them to work?  If I type in a verse range and highlight it, then go for insert verses service, Word just ignores me.

EDIT:::  The View Verses service runs fine - I can open a verse reference that I typed into Word 2016 in Accordance.  I cannot insert verses though.

EDIT2:::  I'm trying to find a way to manipulate the text that you are trying to insert into Word to obtain your desired results.  Still looking.

Edited by Michael Miles

Well, it looks like you found a small bug!  I'm able to easily insert exactly what you are looking for (with one exception):

1   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 All things were created through Him, and apart from Him not one thing was created that has been created.

(John 1:1–3 HCSB)

Here's a screenshot of my Citation page:Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 5.18.33 PM.png

And what my Get Verses looks like:Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 5.19.33 PM.png

Now, the one exception.  You have it checked to use European formatting, where commas ( , ) are used to separate chapters instead of colons ( : ).  The bug is that, as you have noted, the chapter number is getting thrown into the export when European is on.  This is 100% absolutely a bug we'll get fixed, and the next rev of Accordance isn't too far away, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.  In the meantime, either don't export with European formatting, or you'll need to strip the chapter number.

By the way, be sure to not check 'Match formatting during insert', as this will wipe out any superscripts you have, as these are a format style.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Michael - yes there is a bug in the way that the service works for Word 2016.  The problem is that when you select the verse reference in Word, it adds a trailing space to the right hand side of the selection.  And the Service does not like this.  

You have to select the ref without the trailing space (a little tricky to do, but you can do it with the mouse).  

In the end I set up a Keyboard Maestro action to do all of this for me (I now type the reference, hit a shortcut key I assigned to the action and voila!  in comes the verse!  Here's the strange thing...  Word 2011 also adds the trailing space but the Service still works in that version even with the trailing space selected, but not in Word 2016.

Joel

Thank you for your reply.  There is a bug there for sure.

How do I turn of European style formatting.  I am unable to replicate your example.  Also, please note that I am using the "Insert Verse" service from the Services menu, not the "Get Verses" command.  It is far easier for my workflow to use the "Insert Verse" service (see my reply to Michael for info on a bug in that service).  

Seems like you were able to achieve what I need - but I copied your exact settings from your citation preference and I still get the unwanted chapter numbers.  You mention about turning off European formatting to fix this, but you do not tell me how to do it!!  Can you explain?

European formatting will affect both the service and Get Verses.  Simply uncheck it in the top right corner of the 'Appearance' preference pane.

• Like 1

Joel

I ann beginning to get closer to what I need!  Thank you for your help.

Turning off European Style in the Appearance preferences did help.  Now I only get verse numbers!  Yay!

Now, here is the interesting part... if i use the "Get Verses" feature, the verse numbers come in as superscript.  But if I use the "Insert Verses" from the Services menu, then I do not get Superscript.  Also, the superscript numbers i get using "Get Verses" are in bold... but I do not want them in bold.  Can you help with either of these two remaining issues?

Also, you mention an update about to be released... do you know how far off that is?

Many thanks again

Michael - yes there is a bug in the way that the service works for Word 2016.  The problem is that when you select the verse reference in Word, it adds a trailing space to the right hand side of the selection.  And the Service does not like this.  

I'm pretty sure the Accordance Service should account for any trailing whitespace. It does not in your instance?

I just tested a verse selection in Word 2011 and TextEdit each with a trailing space in the selection and the Insert Verses and View Verses Services both worked perfectly.

So, this is an issue with Word 2016?  Sorry I can't afford Word 2016 right now, otherwise I'd test this to help.

Now, here is the interesting part... if i use the "Get Verses" feature, the verse numbers come in as superscript.  But if I use the "Insert Verses" from the Services menu, then I do not get Superscript.  Also, the superscript numbers i get using "Get Verses" are in bold... but I do not want them in bold.  Can you help with either of these two remaining issues?

1. The Insert Verses Service pulls nonstyled text out of Accordance. So, not only does superscript get stripped, but so would any bold, underline, etc. So, if you want styled result, then the Get Verses function is your best bet.

2. To remove the bold on the verse reference, can't you just go to menu Display/Set Text Display then click "Customize Theme" button, then deselect "Bold" in the "Style" menu under the "References" section. Be sure to click the "Use as Default" button after you do this.

Edited by Joe Weaks

Sorry I am late in getting around to testing all of this, but I can not get verse references as superscripts into my text no matter how I try.  To be specific, I would like to import text into Pages or Keynote, and have the superscript verse references retained.  Is this possible using Get Verses?  If so, what do I have to do?

In Christ,

Bret

Bret,

Joel described part of the setup in comment #5 above.

I do think that one piece to the puzzle is that you need to set the references to superscript in the default text format for the default text the Get Verses function is going to use.

That make sense?

Joe, that is my problem - how do I set the verse references to superscript.  I can not find that in the preferences dialog or in the Text display (theme) dialog.  How do I do that?

In Christ,

Bret

Open the Text Display dialog.

Click the button "Customize Theme" (It's easy to overlook, just below the theme dropbox.)

Down in the "Reference" section, you'll see the options to customize.

The "Style" drop menu has "Superscript" at the bottom.

post-16-0-80255700-1446576459_thumb.png

Ok, I think I finally got this working.  I found the way to have verse numbers display as superscripts (thanks Joe), but it still did not copy the verse references as superscripts - UNTIL I saved the format as the default.  Only then did it copy them as superscripts.

I have asked for this before, but it would be really great if we could save several different formats for exporting text.  I create outlines in Pages and also make Keynote slides, but obviously this requires separate fonts, colors, sizes, etc.  It would be really helpful to have pre-saved export features for each of these (with particular fonts, sizes, colors, use superscript or not, etc.) so that the text would come in exactly as I want it in that particular document.  

Is something like this on the list of improvements for Accordance?

In Christ,

Bret