NEW! Greek New Testament AUDIO

R. Mansfield

“Blessed is the one who reads…and blessed are those who HEAR and keep what is written…" (Revelation 1:3). Introducing Greek New Testament AUDIO for Accordance!

Coinciding with the release of Accordance 11.1, we are pleased to announce the release of the Greek New Testament Audio. Designed to run in parallel with any New Testament text, the Greek New Testament Audio provides a professionally spoken Erasmian reading of the UBS4/NA27 text by Dr. John Schwandt.

The Greek New Testament Audio requires Accordance 11.1 and will be available shortly after the latter's release.

• Like 5

Hello 

What makes more sense? To buy this as a single add on or to wait till its in the next Greek Master? Which one would be cheaper?

Greetings

Fabian

Fabian, we will be updating the Greek Master in time for ETS/SBL. If you buy the Greek New Testament Audio this week, it will be credited to your cost of upgrading to the update of the Greek Master. 

Do you already know which speaker you will use for the Hebrew bible? I know two audio versions: by Snunit Kodesh (free) and by Shlomo Bertonov.

Fabian, we will be updating the Greek Master in time for ETS/SBL. If you buy the Greek New Testament Audio this week, it will be credited to your cost of upgrading to the update of the Greek Master. 

Hello Rick

Thanks. And thanks to Mark Allison.

There is also one for the Robinson-Pierpont spoken by The  Dr. Maurice Robinson.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

It is wonderful to see this!  I can't wait to hear the audio of the Hebrew Bible!   :D

Does this work on iOS (iPad/iPhone)?

I can't get the Greek NT Audio to download on my iPhone, so just as it is dependent upon 11.1 in Windows/Mac, it may also be dependent on a future Accordance Mobile update to work. 

Funny how I stumbled today about this:

http://www.biblicalgreektuition.co.uk/news/4587601525/Book-Note-Endorsement/10285648

An endorsement for a Book, that argues that the erasmian pronunciation should be left behind …

:)

Just reading this blurb about Dr. Zachariou's book (and, admittedly, not the book itself), I find the idea rather unconvincing.  Modern Hebrew pronunciation is quite different from its ancient counterparts, as transliterations of ancient texts – especially Semitic texts – into Greek, demonstrate.  The most simple evidence for this is the distinction between "rough" and "smooth" breathing, which Modern Greek does not maintain, but we know was a feature of the ancient language, based on spelling.  Further, ancient Greek transliterations (LXX, Aquila, Symmachus, Theodotian) demonstrate the preservation distinctions between in Hebrew phonology (such as ɣ vs. ʕ  or x vs. ħ), after they ceased to be distinguished in orthography (as they likely never were).   This is relevant because these Semitic distinctions were marked with consistent spelling (and thus, pronunciation) distinctions in the Greek–distinctions which Modern Greek is now incapable of denoting because those sounds no longer exist in the language.

So, at this point, I am skeptical of the idea that Modern Greek is any reliable guide to the pronunciation of Ancient Greek.  I'm fairly sure that Greek phonology has changed at least as much since the 1st century CE as Hebrew pronunciation has, if not more so. 

Edited by David Harris

It's worth reading Buth on this also. He doesn't teach Erasmian, but it's not Modern either.

http://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Koine-Pronunciation-2012.pdf

Is this audio the same as that published by John Schwandt on http://www.amazon.com/The-Greek-Audio-New-Testament/dp/1598566326. If so I have it in that form. So I have a question. When one uses it does one just get it verse by verse or do you just select the text and ask that section to be read ?

Thx

D

Yes, the audio is the same as the Amazon link. You can click on a verse to play the audio for that verse. It will continue to the next verses until you stop it.

• 1 month later...

Do we know when this will work in the iOS app?

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The Hebrew Audio is just around the corner. 

Will Accordance bring the Greek Audio Spoken by Spiros Zodhiates and the Robinson Pierpont text spoken by Dr. Robinson come to Accordance too?

Greetings

Fabian

I see that hebrew has been released.

(Will it play on ios? there is nothing currently on the item description specifically warning people they wont play on ios, just that it needs 11 or later and just checked greek and that specifies iOS so hoping it does ).

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

I see that hebrew has been released.

(Will it play on ios? there is nothing currently on the item description specifically warning people they wont play on ios, just that it needs 11 or later and just checked greek and that specifies iOS so hoping it does ).

;o)

Yes, the Hebrew should play fine on iOS.

• Like 1

Yes, the audio is the same as the Amazon link. You can click on a verse to play the audio for that verse. It will continue to the next verses until you stop it.

I can't work out how to get it to do this with the Hebrew audio? It will only play the verse I pick (on both iOS and Mac), without continuing - have I missed a setting somewhere, or is the behaviour different between this and the Greek NT audio?

Edited by jmc1982

I can't work out how to get it to do this with the Hebrew audio? It will only play the verse I pick (on both iOS and Mac), without continuing - have I missed a setting somewhere, or is the behaviour different between this and the Greek NT audio?

This really should be split into a new thread for Hebrew. The Hebrew audio functions differently than the Greek. For the Hebrew, 2 modules are available to install: Chapters or Verses. When playing the Verses module it will only play one verse at a time and requires clicking on each one. Chapters will play the entire chapter continuously.

I really like the Hebrew audio, works perfect with the iPad. I skipped on the Greek audio, don't like the erasmian pronunciation, I know it's familiar to seminary students, but not what any Greek speaking person or Greek Orthodox Church member uses. The Hebrew pronunciation is what you would hear if you went to Israel or to most synagogues, but not what some American seminaries use. Maybe Accordance will offer an orthodox pronunciation for Greek audio later? May not be very popular though since people like Bill Mounce and others feel like the erasmian is easier for beginners. Big thanks for the Hebrew release!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I skipped on the greek audio for the same reason. For now I simply use free online greek audio for hearing the greek spoken in a more natural conversational/spoken style. (Although it is a lot faster when read by a native reader, it is still really helpful)