ben Chayyim Masoretic text module request

EricC

Friends at Accordance,

I would like to request an electronic text of Ben Chayyim for Accordance. As far as I know there is no e-text, unless Trinitarian Bible Society (London, England) has one. So that is probably the reason it's not available at this point. A paper edition of Ben Chayyim's text is available from TBS. This is the text published by Bomberg in 1524-1525. It was used as the basis for the Old Testament in most/many/all (?) of the Reformation-era Bible translations.

I'd like to see the Scrivener's Greek NT, too, in Accordance, but it is available in BibleWorks, so that is not quite as important.

Thanks for considering this. And if anyone wants to second this request, please chime in. 

Eric

• Like 3

I think this is a great idea.  It is very unfortunate that Accordance does not have the only major alternative to BHS--the text that was in use by just about everyone until 1937--available as a tagged text.  There appears to be an e-version of it here:

http://faithsaves.net/bibliology/

so I think that could reduce the time it would take Accordance to tag it.  I would also love to see the Masorah tagged so that people who don't know much of that sort of Hebrew can read it, but that is another post and another topic. 

Also, Eric, I believe that the Scrivener ed. of the TR is indeed available with Accordance.

I think this is a great idea.  It is very unfortunate that Accordance does not have the only major alternative to BHS--the text that was in use by just about everyone until 1937--available as a tagged text.  There appears to be an e-version of it here:

so I think that could reduce the time it would take Accordance to tag it.  I would also love to see the Masorah tagged so that people who don't know much of that sort of Hebrew can read it, but that is another post and another topic. 

Also, Eric, I believe that the Scrivener ed. of the TR is indeed available with Accordance.

I'd like to see the Massorah tagged as well, but I don't even think a font exists that displays all of the variations involved in that work.  And it's huge.

Friends at Accordance,

I would like to request an electronic text of Ben Chayyim for Accordance. As far as I know there is no e-text, unless Trinitarian Bible Society (London, England) has one. So that is probably the reason it's not available at this point. A paper edition of Ben Chayyim's text is available from TBS. This is the text published by Bomberg in 1524-1525. It was used as the basis for the Old Testament in most/many/all (?) of the Reformation-era Bible translations.

I'd like to see the Scrivener's Greek NT, too, in Accordance, but it is available in BibleWorks, so that is not quite as important.

Thanks for considering this. And if anyone wants to second this request, please chime in. 

Eric

The version that Trinitarian puts out, I believe, is the Ginsburg Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible, as it has Ginsburg's notes lavishly appointing the lower portions of the pages.  I cannot remember if Ginsburg left Ben Chayyim alone or made slight modifications to the text.  I seem to remember that he may have adjusted things.  I would have to check out Ginsburg's Introduction to that work to get a definitive answer.

Thomas, by "e-version", did you mean PDF? That's all I see at that link. I initially took e-version to mean not a photographic text, but a keyed-in text.

What link is there to the Accordance Scrivener's TR on Accordance's website?

Edited by EricC

We are always interested in e-texts we don't currently offer, but generally not PDFs.

PDFs are basically just photographs of the printed page. Scanning such images and using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software is particularly problematic for non-Roman alphabets. The more obscure the language, the less the chance current software will recognize the characters. Hebrew vowel points are especially problematic, as they are just so small. OCR software often confuses them with fly specks, grains in the paper of the original document, and other visual "noise." Proofing such texts is very labor-intensive and time-consuming. Unless the text is in very high demand, it just is not worth the time and effort.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'd like to see the Ben Chayyim text in Accordance as well. Also, it would be great if Accordance could have an image module that has pictures of the pages of the Ben Chayyim text, in parallel to the biblical text, as Accordance has done with the Leningrad Codex Images.

It would be great also to have the unmodified text plus images of the Complutensian Bible, Erasmus' five editions of the NT, and the Textus Receptus editions of Beza and Stephanus. I know Accordance has some TR versions, but they have all been modified to some degree by Scrivener, Robinson, etc. I'm not requesting that they be tagged, just unmodified, for those doing research using these historical editions.

Images of the Ben Chayyim text would be much easier than the text, which we've been trying to acquire for years. However, the images without the text aren't very helpful.

Accordance's practice, over the years, has been to publish a digital text first, then update it with morphological tagging (if there is enough interest), then supplement it with MSS images (again, if there is enough interest). Without a non-profit foundation to underwrite our business, each step has to be commercially viable (at least pay for itself). That doesn't mean we haven't undertaken projects that couldn't pay their own way, just that we have to be very, very careful when we do so.

If any of you have deep enough pockets to underwrite a project and a desire to do so, I'm sure Roy and Helen would be delighted to talk to you. They may even treat you to dinner! :D

• Like 1

And the Ben Asher text? Or is this exactly the BHS Text? I'm not an expert here and there seems also some confusion on the internet.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Images of the Ben Chayyim text would be much easier than the text, which we've been trying to acquire for years. However, the images without the text aren't very helpful.

Accordance's practice, over the years, has been to publish a digital text first, then update it with morphological tagging (if there is enough interest), then supplement it with MSS images (again, if there is enough interest). Without a non-profit foundation to underwrite our business, each step has to be commercially viable (at least pay for itself). That doesn't mean we haven't undertaken projects that couldn't pay their own way, just that we have to be very, very careful when we do so.

If any of you have deep enough pockets to underwrite a project and a desire to do so, I'm sure Roy and Helen would be delighted to talk to you. They may even treat you to dinner! :D

Thanks for the post. Though with historical editions such as the Ben Chayyim text and the historical NT editions (Complutensian, and the various editions of Erasmus, Beza, Stephanus), I think that the images would still be helpful even without the text, since in Accordance one could go directly to the scripture verse one is looking for, whereas it is usually time consuming to find the right page and location when looking at pdf's of the images.

• 3 years later...

We talked lastly on another thread. 

AFAIK SwordS.... has the eText.