Split Screen Multi Tasking on OS X

ThaNatrix

I would love to see an Accordance window capable of utilizing the split screen features on El Capitan.  As a nearly done Masters student and a Teacher this would make both note taking and class preparation a breeze and allow for more robust presentations via airplay (like placing poetic analysis directly next to to the text in a secondary window of Pages or something). I can think of several other benefits as well (like quick text copy and pasting from Accordance to Notes so students can take notes underneath the actual text.  

Just a thought about a feature I think would benefit a lot of people :)

God Bless!

Split screen is coming in a future update (I don't know a time-table right now). Programs have to be updated to work in El Capitan's split screen feature. 

I will tell you this, though, I've been using BetterSnapTool (available in the Mac App Store) for years now. Having played with El Capitan's split screen feature (with the programs that support it) and having used BetterSnapTool for years, I can tell you BetterSnapTool is a much better solution. You just grab the top of the window and drag it to the side (split screen), corner (quadrant), or top (full screen). It's so easy to use and already works with every app, including Accordance. El Capitan's method is awkward in comparison in my experience. 

I use BetterSnapTool every day and don't even think about it--it's just a natural part of what I do on the Mac. Here's a link to Better Snap Tool in the Mac App Store.

Edited by R. Mansfield
Added link to BST in Mac App Store
  • Like 2

I an getting curious about this better snap thing :). Would it be possible to post a screenshot of a typical setup?

Morten

The nice thing about split screen is that you get to max out your screen space - up to the very top! With all of my apps, I use a minimal layout to focus on the content. For Accordance that means full screen and cutting the menu bar, instant details, etc. I also cut out the top menu bar on my Mac too. 

So, while I love window management apps, I vote yes.

Corey

Question about BetterSnapTool: Does it snap all the way to the top if you hide the menu bar? Right now I use HyperDock, but its not working right when the menu bar is hide. (Also it is limited in its screen arrangement.)

If so, then this could be a nice work around that would beat Split View for Accordance. I saw in the screen shots all kids of options for window management, even three columns!

Thanks!

Yes, if you hide the menu bar, BST will snap windows to the top of the screen. Really works well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you have not tried multiple desktops, give that a try. In Yosemite it is a three finger swipe left and right. The default is two desktops but more may be added. The advantage of this method is maximum screen for each app and rapid access to each app. Multiple desktops do have the disadvantage of not viewing two apps at the same time, though in my case it is a matter of vision that rules my workflow.

• Like 1

If you have not tried multiple desktops, give that a try. In Yosemite it is a three finger swipe left and right. The default is two desktops but more may be added. The advantage of this method is maximum screen for each app and rapid access to each app. Multiple desktops do have the disadvantage of not viewing two apps at the same time, though in my case it is a matter of vision that rules my workflow.

Using multiple desktops is the way I have been operating since the option first appeared.  I keep four going, sometimes more.  They're easy to add or delete.  

Desktop 1 is for Mail, Safari, Newsfire, Calendar.  

Desktop 2 is for Accordance only, with multiple Workspaces stacked on top of one another.  I can quickly switch from one to another using App Expose (three finger swipe down on a trackpad).  I do not use Apple's full screen option for Accordance because it puts my Accordance Workspaces in multiple Desktops.

Desktop 3 is for Numbers (my Bible Reading Schedule) and Pages.  Keynote is there, too, but I rarely use it.  

Desktop 4 is for music software.

This is the set-up I use whether the display is simply the MacBook Air's screen, or an external 27" monitor (where I use an Apple Magic Trackpad - really saves my hand from fatigue and pain).

When I really need two apps that normally occupy different Desktops to share one, that, too, is easy to do.  And I agree with Rick and Mark – BetterSnapTool is very useful, making it much easier to keep things tidy.

EDIT: Fixed font.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 1

Just saw this post and bought the BetterSnapTool. very convenient. 

Thank you very much for recommending it!

Martin

Thanks for the heads up about the BetterSnap Tool. I love it!

Thanks for the heads up about the BetterSnap Tool. I love it!

I believe BetterSnapTool works so much better than the clumsy split screen implementation by Apple in OS X, but the latter should eventually be available for Accordance, too.

• Like 1

I use multiple desktops every day. It's immeasurably helpful for my effeciency, and save lots of switching time. Multiple desktops with 2 displays is even better!

Edited by David Harris

• 5 months later...

In case anyone missed it, Accordance now works with El Capitan Split View mode in v. 11.2 released yesterday.