Specific Location URLs (accord://)

Paul Meiklejohn

Can I just enquire about this feature.  I'm not getting a live link after I copy and paste the link into user notes, mail, evernote etc.  Only if I paste it into the url bar in safari does it become live.  

The blog states that' clicking on the link will launch Accordance and take the user directly to the point in the title where you generated the link'.   Can anyone throw any light on this? Is it designed to only be live from a browser url?

Example link; John 1:14 ZIBBCNT  accord://read/ZIBBCNT#6647

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

Hi, Paul!

Is it possible you are clicking in the Edit window, rather than your User Note or Tool? the links don't work in the Edit window.

I just pasted your link into my User Note, clicked update, and then clicked it in the User Note. It worked just fine!

Thanks for a quick response Dr. J.  

No the link is in the updated pane itself.  Interestingly when I hover over the link before clicking, the curser changes to a small magnifying glass and the link is underlined, as if it recognises the link. However the link still remains dormant.  I'm making sure I use auto link (or manual link) before exiting the edit window.  I repeat the point that it works perfectly from the safari URL bar.  

Update...  I noticed that all my links had broken in that user file, so i created a new user note file and the link appears to be working.  I'll continue to look into this.

• Like 1

I think the link will be live in Mail after it has been sent, but not before. That's the case with links I create anyway. When I paste the link into an app like Pages, I then have to select it, right-click on it, and select "make link". 

Yes, thanks Mark I have just worked out the 'send' principle in mail and I'll look into manually creating links in other programs.  At least I seem to have it working within Accordance, that'll be a great function for saving important references against verses.

I must be doing something wrong or misnundersand the location url feature. I've created a Location URL and pasted it to MS Word 2007 on Windows 10 computer but the link doesn't do anything.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Larry, I don't use MS Word (very often), but I refer you to Mark's comment above.  In some Apps you may to have highlight the link and let 'Word' know that it is a URL (web) Link.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

I now have it working across most Apple Apps: Mail, Pages, Notes Safari etc,.and of course Acc. User Notes.  However the link remains dormant in Evernote.  Even after following my own advice to Larry (above).  Can any 'Evernote' users throw any light on this.  Evernote remains my main note taking programme, so that would be extremely handy.

All I have in Word 2007 is Make Hyperlink.  When I open that it seems to make me choose a program or document to run.  A little beyond my desire to navigate to an exe in the \programs folder to accomplish this. I hope there's an easier way, if at all possible.

All I have in Word 2007 is Make Hyperlink.  When I open that it seems to make me choose a program or document to run.  A little beyond my desire to navigate to an exe in the \programs folder to accomplish this. I hope there's an easier way, if at all possible.

This works only from Word16 (and hopefully above), so in 2007 it doesn't work.

Sorry to say that.

Greetings

Fabian

Thank you Fabian, I thought that might be the problem. I'll have to look around for a word processor that will work as I don't want to pay a subscription for Word for what little I use it.

Larry, some of the older apps require a 'www...', 'http://...' or 'file://...' or email address with an @sign in the line to recognise the link so you may be stuck unless you update.  I'm not completely conversant with how all the rules apply, but I hope that throws some light on the situation for you.

I have the same problem in onenote.

One nice think would be a way to paste a link into accordance, like in the command line and then have them activated.

I tried "file://" in Word and Evernote but neither worked. I'm guessing my word 2007 is too old. As far as Evernote, Evernote puts "http://" in front of "accord:..." and I couldn't find a way to stop that action.

In any case I'm delighted I now can link to other resources in my notes in Accordance.  Thank you, Accordance staff.

Edit:

As a followup I found a shareware program I have installed called Atlantis Word Processor does work. It can create Word docx files and when I create a link to an Accordance URL it opens Accordance and goes to reference. Funny that an inexpensive program works.

There is one problem though that may be related to Accordance.  I created a URL for a KM and Strong number but clicking on the link gives me an error "Entry 4325 cannot be found" and after clicking OK Opens Accordance. I assume it's an Accordance error message.

Can anyone duplicate this error message before I report it?

Or maybe it's just User Error. I get that a lot.

Edited by Larry Wing

Do you mind posting the URL you use that gets the error?

Here's the two urls I was testing:

accord://search/KM_Hebrew_Dictionary;Strong’s_Number?4325

accord://search/Mounce_Greek_Dictionary;G/K_Number?69

Here's the two urls I was testing:

accord://search/KM_Hebrew_Dictionary;Strong’s_Number?4325

accord://search/Mounce_Greek_Dictionary;G/K_Number?69

Try these, as they both work fine here:

<a href="accord://search/KM_Hebrew_Dictionary;Strong’s_Number?4325">KM Hebrew Dictionary - Strong's Number 4325</a>

<a href="accord://search/Mounce_Greek_Dictionary;G/K_Number?69">Mounce Greek Dictionary - G/K Number 69</a>

KJVS Ephesians 6:10-18

KM Hebrew Dictionary - Strong's Number 4325

Mounce Greek Dictionary - G/K Number 69

EDIT::::  Amazing... those links work fine when editing a post, but after the post is saved, they just go limp.

Edited by Michael Miles

Strange, the links you posted, Larry, work just fine for me!  So, clicking those links doesn't work when going to Accordance?

They aren't working in the word processor and I am having problems with Accordance too but I need to work it some more as I think it's another issue that I don't understand.

I notice though changing from the "search" to "read" it works fine.

I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can duplicate.

Edited by Larry Wing

Hi ya,

Testing on Windows - not near my Mac.

Both links above work fine from a browser - firefox.

Neither work in Zotero notes or in LibreOffice. In either of these tools when I click on the link I get a error dialog saying "Then entry "69" cannot be found." Well in the case of 4325 then 4325 not 69. But basically they aren't being passed into Acc. properly for some reason. Not sure where the fault lies.

I think there is a problem with search field names which have punctuation or strange characters in them in some tools. So while Strong's Number doesn't work as a search field from Zotero I can get this link to work just fine : accord://search/KM_Hebrew_Dictionary;Titles?Verbal

Another example that doesn't work from Zotero : accord://search/LSJ;Greek_Entry?επιχειρεω

Probably the space in the search field name I would think. I've tried %20 in there also to no avail.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

This morning I tried to start up Accordance 11.1 but it wouldn't start at all. I ended up talking to Tech Support and had to go back to 11.0.8 for now so I'll wait until the next update of 11.1 just in case there's something with 11.1 that my system doesn't like.

I've been trying to find a way to use the Location URL along with Evernote.  Unfortunately Evernote has not yet been updated to receive third party URL's.  I have written to Evernote Tech team and they assure me they are working on a fix.  One of their forum users has written a script to make the link (after it has been pasted) to go live.   He's confident it should also work with other word processors and note apps.  

I run his script through automator, so that after pasting the link, I highlight the text and run the script with a simple Keystroke.  That then converts the dormant link to a live link.  

I've included his script here and a link to the Evernote thread that resulted in the script being written.

thanks to jmicheals for his work.  

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/89984-creating-a-url-link/

Create Hyperlink with Custom Protocol from Selected Text.scpt.zip

I've tweeked the script so that after copying the Location URL you jump over to evernote (or most other text apps). Run the script and it will paste the live link... (just a few less steps)

(Do remember that all this is only necessary for apps that are not recognising the live link)

Full credit still given to Michaels for his great work.

Accord 2.scpt.zip