Carta Maps question

markbarnes

I've never used Accordance, but I want digital access to Carta's maps, so I'm thinking of purchasing one of the Carta bundles. So I have two questions:

1. Will these maps/books work OK as standalone modules (i.e. will I need to purchase anything in addition)?
  2. What's the resolution of the included images like for exporting to Powerpoint, etc?

Thank in advance for your help!

Mark

Mark, welcome to Accordance!

You will need to at least get the Accordance 11 Starter Collection. The good news is that it's on sale right now for 20% off!

The Carta images are of excellent quality and resolution. They show up nicely in PowerPoint or Keynote. I use them for that purpose quite regularly myself!

I'm attaching an example image export from The Sacred Bridge. The images in the Carta collection are of various sizes. This particular image exported out at 845 x 1235--more than the quality you would need for any presentation. 

Carta-example.png

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

I totally endorse what rick says and sacred bridge is brilliant and i project the maps at church ( but use word and then convert to pdf and project full screen as i prefer using styles and page breaks for a consistent appearance).

My only caveat i would add is that once you experience accordance, you will wonder how you survived without it and will increase your library by choice!

;o)

• Like 2

Hi, Mark, and welcome to the forums.

I suspect you already know your way around the Carta offerings in general, but I'm a huge fan, so I echo what Rick says: any other info you are looking for, ask away! The condensed Sacred Bridge is in Accordance and very good, too.

You will need to at least get the Accordance 11 Starter Collection.

Thanks, everyone for the help.

Just for clarification, do I need the Starter collection because add-on modules don't work at all without a Collection, or just because I'll lose some functionality without it (e.g. Bible look-ups)?

You can't run Accordance without having purchased it through a collection. So, the Starter is minimum. In purchasing Starter (or a higher collection), you will create an account that is tied to all items in your Accordance Library.

In other words, the Starter collection gets you the engine/program/app.

• Like 1

OK, thanks for the clarification. Thanks too to the person who alerted me to Ministers' discounts in a private message!

• Like 1

Yes Mark, the Ministers discount is a real blessing, but do remember it usually does not apply to sale items. 

P.S. The Sacred Bridge is one of those resources that--means permitting--is advantageous to own both in Accordance and in print. The printed volume really is a stunning work of typography, layout, design, and execution... if a little intense to be carrying around!

Thanks. I made my purchase yesterday. I've struggled a little to get used to the interface (I'm used to Logos), but it's great to have these resources available on my PC and iPhone.

• Like 1

Nice! The folks on the forums are friendly, so feel free to post if anything comes up--much of the layout is set, but much of it is customizable, too.

Thanks, Abram. Can I ask two questions? I don't like the multi-coloured text (e.g. references are in Pink, for example). Can I change this? I've tried Edit/Preferences/Text Display, and Display/Set Tool Display, but I can't see an option for references.

The second issue is to do with the quality of image resizing. I've set the images to the largest size, but they're very difficult to read - even if you click on them to expand. The quality seems very low. However, if I copy them to the clipboard and then paste them into a graphics program, the quality seems to magically increase. It looks like Accordance isn't handling the resize at a very good quality. Can I adjust that at all?

(The image below shows two copies of a map. The left is how it appears in Accordance. The right is the full-sized map, resized in Photoshop to be the same size as the map on the left. You can see the quality of the map on the right is far superior.)

http://s7.postimg.org/o2q1yjhgb/comp.png

I am fairly sure those font colors (in the case of Sacred Bridge) are not changeable, though Helen can correct me if I'm wrong. They may be hard-coded into the module. Does changing the background help at all?

I'll bet Rick M. could address the image sizing question! I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Mark,  on the first point.  If you cmd-T and then go to Customise Theme and then you should be able to change the ref.

Two additional points: 1) make sure your have carta highlighted before cmd-t and use the default button to make the changes permanent.

Update, I would probably add more weight to Abram's answer.  I was just making a general response on how to change font colours in other modules..  sorry.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

I don't like the multi-coloured text (e.g. references are in Pink, for example). Can I change this? I've tried Edit/Preferences/Text Display, and Display/Set Tool Display, but I can't see an option for references.

The second issue is to do with the quality of image resizing. I've set the images to the largest size, but they're very difficult to read - even if you click on them to expand. The quality seems very low. However, if I copy them to the clipboard and then paste them into a graphics program, the quality seems to magically increase. It looks like Accordance isn't handling the resize at a very good quality. Can I adjust that at all?

Mark, I'm pretty certain that the pink references cannot be changed. Having said that I've never paid that much attention to them before, and I have no idea why they are pink to begin with. Abram, are they the same color in the print copy? 

Regarding the quality of the image, I'd like to look at the same image you used for your example. Can you tell me the book and section (or page number) for that image? 

Carta is a great resource. The color coding is actually a feature of the work itself. From the Publisher's Note:

"Modern computer technology has opened new avenues of creativity, allowing us to enhance this monumental work. One useful innovation, we believe, is the color coding—references (red), original texts (light blue) and their translation into English (dark blue)—that has been inserted in the text proper."

And as far as the references being colored pink rather than red, my guess is (and I may be wrong) that it was a module development decision so as not to conflict with the Accordance default search hit color, which is red.

Hope that Helps.

Darryl

Edited by Darryl

One more question, Mark, in addition to the question I asked earlier: what kind of computer are you using for Accordance?

Mark, I'm pretty certain that the pink references cannot be changed. Having said that I've never paid that much attention to them before, and I have no idea why they are pink to begin with. Abram, are they the same color in the print copy? 

Regarding the quality of the image, I'd like to look at the same image you used for your example. Can you tell me the book and section (or page number) for that image? 

Thanks for confirmation about the text colour. I understand now why I can't change it.

The image I posted was the very first image of the book "Jerusalem in the Year 30 A.D.". I'm running Windows 10. Here's a screenshot of the entire Workspace, for clarity:

post-33562-0-27941900-1446842808_thumb.png

Mark, I was probably more interested in knowing the computer itself as opposed to which version of Windows, and this is because of the myriad of different screen resolutions out there these days. 

I pulled up the same image on both my 2015 MacBook and my 2013 Acer R7-572. Although the lettering on this image is small regardless of the computer, I could see it much better on my MacBook which has a HiDPI screen than my Acer, which does not. In fact, on my Acer I was looking at the same kind of lower quality image as you had on the left in your first screenshot. 

Let me offer a suggestion when looking at an image like this. When you first click on the image, what is essentially coming up is a preview, although there are zoom in and out buttons in the top left corner. However, if you click the diagonally upward pointing arrow in the top right corner, the image will move into its own zone. The caption bar can be adjusted for more viewing space. In fact, if you hover your mouse over the blue area near the top of the window, on the left end a blue expand button will appear. Clicking on this will expand the window to a full viewing mode. This will be especially helpful for horizontally-inclined images. And, of course, the in and out buttons will help. 

I know that's a bit of extra work, but I believe the culprit for the problem here has more to do with screen resolution than anything else. 

To unfortunately say that Rick is wrong, the graphic rendering is, in fact, a bug.  Diving through the code with our Windows team, it seems we were using a bit old of a resampling technique to render the images.  Upgrading it is giving much smoother, better results, and I think you'll be very pleased with it.  The changes should be live with the 11.1.1 update coming soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

To unfortunately say that Rick is wrong...

Well, you know I do the best I can with the information I have ;-)

Actually, in this case I'm glad I'm wrong. If I were correct, there simply wouldn't be a fix on some computers. In this case, it will be corrected very soon. 

Hi Rick. I'm running at 1920x1080. I'm 95% sure the problem is that the image re-sizing is being done by nearest-neighbour interpolation rather than something like bilinear or bicubic interpolation. I'd hoped there was a quality setting somewhere I could tweak to do 'proper' interpolation. I do like the fact that I can see smaller images in the resource and click to zoom (I miss that in Logos), but it would be even better if the quality of interpolation was good enough so that you could read the detail without needing multiple levels of zoom.

To unfortunately say that Rick is wrong, the graphic rendering is, in fact, a bug.  Diving through the code with our Windows team, it seems we were using a bit old of a resampling technique to render the images.  Upgrading it is giving much smoother, better results, and I think you'll be very pleased with it.  The changes should be live with the 11.1.1 update coming soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, that's great. Thanks!

I'm running at 1920x1080.

That's exactly what I'm running on my Acer for what it's worth.

Here is a pdf of a full page of the print TSB, so you can see the color fonts. (Reproduced with permission.)