A Dictionary of Biblical Tradition in English Literature

theblackbluejay

I recently encountered this book in hardcover, but have already seen its usefulness for biblical studies, the history of biblical interpretation—and particularly—teaching.   It is a trove of information regarding the history of biblical interpretation (and misinterpretation) as it has been perpetuated through English literature, and how that literature has affected our understandings (and oftentimes, misunderstandings) of biblical narratives.  

A person, place, idea, theology, etc., is is found in the dictionary, and the entry discusses how that topic has been understood and addressed in English (and sometimes other bodies of) literature.

For those of us that teach, or plan to teach—especially in a university classroom, but even in a seminary, pulpit, or high school—this would be a great resource to have in accordance, not just for its ease of communicating lecture examples, but also for the happy event of increasing one's sensitivity to literature, biblical and otherwise.   :)

For those interested, this book may be found on Amazon, here.  Having it as an Accordance module would make it incredibly more helpful (and likely to reach more people!)  

• Like 1

Hi, David!

That's a great suggestion, but I see Eerdmans first published the book in 1992 and there is no Kindle edition. Generally, that means that no e-text is available, which sharply decreases the likelihood we'll make it available in Accordance. I'm not saying we never scan and create e-texts ourselves, but we have to anticipate a very strong demand for a work in order to do so.

Thanks, Dr. J.   I'm hoping that the demand is there.

Also, I unfortunately won't be able to make it to SBL this year, so I will miss my trip to the Accordance booth.   But I will be there next year, and if you guys will be at the NE Regional Meeting in April.  

• Like 1