"The Flight into Egypt" in Greek?

KevinSoars

First of all, I do hope the previous topic was finished! Please forgive me if it wasn't.

My request is rather unusual. The title "the flight into Egypt" does not exist in the Bible; I cannot even find the noun 'the flight'. I would like to be able to translate this into Greek as the title of a newly painted/written Greek ikon. I would be most grateful if anyone could help!

Kevin.

The word in that text is the word for “flight”. It uses the verb form, φεύγω, in Matt 2:13; “φεῦγε εἰς Αἴγυπτον”

You can see the noun form “φυγὴ” in Matt 24:20:
ἡ φυγὴ ὑμῶν, "pray that YOUR FLIGHT would not happen…"

I suppose the title of an icon would be:
"ἡ φυγὴ εἰς Αἴγυπτον"
Edited by Joe Weaks

Though I would say "ἡ φυγὴ εἰς τὸν Αἴγυπτον” better classical Greek IMHO. I know, I know, you wanted koine. Then Joe’s suggestion is perfect.

The issue is that in English the nominal form of “to flee” is “flight” - which then takes us down the wrong path. Though we also intuitively know that Jesus did not catch an Air Sinai plane to Cairo.

Edited by Ken Simpson

Though I would say "ἡ φυγὴ εἰς τὸν Αἴγυπτον” better classical Greek IMHO.

Typical academe. "My theoretical opinion is better than this real-world occurrence."  :lol:

Though we also intuitively know that Jesus did not catch an Air Sinai plane to Cairo.

Jesus had more sense than that.

• Like 1

Typical academe. "My theoretical opinion is better than this real-world occurrence."  :lol:

Isn’t that the point of the academy ;-) ... to say “this is how it should be, not how it is”?  :ph34r: