Trying to get this thing...

rwrobinson88

Greetings,

I've been trying to teach myself how to use the syntax module/searching in the construct (primarily in the Greek NT). Well, not going very well.

What I'm really trying to figure out, and I've noticed that has been touched on really in the forums, is how to find something in the syntax and how to search for that.

For example, I've been trying to just a simple search in 1 John 1:1. There is a Casus Pendens (dislocation) right at the beginning (this is a higher level usage).

post-33565-0-20565100-1448109392_thumb.png

This is what I search for because this is what I see in the syntax module.

post-33565-0-26556100-1448109512_thumb.png

But, these are my results.

post-33565-0-45008400-1448109617_thumb.png

So, this is definitely not what I was looking for.

I'm confused as to how my search isn't returning 1 John 1:1. If anyone could help me to understand this syntax module and how to search from what I'm seeing in it, that would be super awesome and helpful.

Thanks

The specific Casus Pendens that you are searching for is tricky, in that it is a null antecedent that is required to sustain the following subordinate relative Clause.

From what I understand, you probably don't need to search for a specific kind of Clause, so we can do without the CLAUSE element.

As for the Casus Pendens itself, it looks like you searched for a Casus pendens clause, that is a Clause that is related to the main clause as a Casus pendens is related with the other elements within a Clause.

The Casus Pendens that you need is the green item CasusPend. in the left column.

I suggest that you try the following:

1. Open a Greek construct search windows, just as you are doing.
  2. Select a green NULL syntax item from the left column, and drop it into the first column.
  3. Select green CasusPend. syntax item from the left column, and drop it into the first column, below the NULL.
  4. Hit search.

I hope this helps.

[edited: added missing "you" in the first line]

Edited by Marco V. Fabbri
  • Like 1

Thank you. Helpful.

Not exactually understanding why it isn't a clause and why it has to have the null for it to be picked up in the search.

Also, when can you tell something is a phrase, clause or just one word like this from the syntax module? It isn't clear to me.

Thanks!

Why it isn't a clause the Casus Pendens here isn't a Clause? Because it is part of the independent Clause, where it is "hanging". That is, it start as if it were the direct object of the verb of the independent clause, but then there a long parenthesis starts. The parenthesis is so long that, when it is over, the writer feels the need to repeat the direct object, just in case we no longer remember.

Then there is a subordinate relative clause, that is marked with L, which generally stands for a subordinate Clause (as opposed to N, that stands for and independent Clause).

The relative pronoun is the reason why we can say that there is in fact a relative Clause. Now, the relative pronoun usually requires an antecedent (unless it is used as a demonstrative pronouns that come after a fullstop and points back to the preceding Sentence). The antecedent may be a noun, a demonstrative pronoun, etc. When nothing is found, we say that there is an understood antecedent. As an antecedent, it is marked with the same number that marks the relative pronoun. As an understood word, it is marked as -, the is as a NULL.