Anarthrous noun search + directionality problems

Susan

I’m looking at the use of the article with Ιησους. In order to find anarthrous instances, I used something like the search described in another thread here. Now I would like to toss out all of those where it occurs with κυριος or χριστος.* The trouble is that this search (below) brings up all sort of them with χριστος (mostly χριστω/χριστου) first. If I run the search in both directions, it messes up the article contingency and I end up with all of the articular ones back in the results.

Is there a way to make only one argument in the search bidirectional? Or can anybody think of a better way to do this?

P.S. I think it would be spectacular if Accordance could add “articular” to the list of specifiers for the noun. I realize that this is not in the morphology database, but if you just programmed the unidirectional “article” + “agree with number-gender-case” + “within 3 words” restriction suggested in the other thread into a checkbox -- which may be slightly less than perfect, not sure -- that would simplify a fairly common search need and obviate the problem I’m having.  

---

*I’m curious, for those who might care why I’m doing this, to what extent case determines whether the article will be used with Ιησους.  It’s almost universally present with the dative when neither κυριος nor χριστος (dative - sorry, no subscript iota on my keyboard) is there, presumably to disambiguate the dative vs genitive Ιησου, which are not inflected differently in the NT (contrast LXX Joshua).

post-33003-0-59899100-1448602600_thumb.jpg

Yeah. This is a hard one. I've been trying to figure it out.

I see that the Article is still coming up a lot of me when I do this search along with Χριστός.

How many hits are you getting?

When I put "within 1" between Ἰησοῦς and Χριστός I get 786 in verses and 818 hits. When I remove that within, it goes down to 584 verses and 603 hits.

What is up with that? I feel that the "within 1" would reduce the hits.

Hey Susan,

I'm assuming you are trying to reverse Ιησους and the κυριος/χριστος pair. If so the simplest thing to do I think is to create two constructs one with the article followed by Ιησους then κυριος/χριστος and the other with the article followed by κυριος/χριστος then Ιησους. Both would have search both directions unchecked. Then in text tab <OR> both constructs together.

Thx

D

I tried creating two separate constructs. Didn't really help.

But, I might of set my search of poorly. ;)

I've read the question multiple times now and perhaps I'm not understanding it. Is the intent to find all instances of anarthrous Ιησους which also have neither κυριος nor χριστος present ?

Thx

D

I suggest leaving the construct unidirectional, but adding in the search tab the (κυριος, χριστος) to eliminate verses that include these words.

What I was suggesting cannot be done exactly as I suggested as you end up with two adjacent NOT columns which is not permitted. Helen's suggestion works though with a slight tweak to handle cases where an instance of Ιησους which you want occurs in the same verse as one with κυριος, χριστος. There are a couple of such instances in Corinthians.

[LINK Greek Construct 4] <NOT> <WITHIN 3 Words> (Χριστός, κύριος_2)

And the negated (Χριστός, κύριος_2) portion of the construct should not be required either. At least in my test removing it did not change the hits.

There is a questionable one at the end of Matt 27:17 though. But the above search includes the verse but not that particular hit and you can work out what to do about it manually. I don't know whether it meets your criteria or not really. If you want such cases some investigation to see if other similar examples exist might be required.

Thx

D

Thanks to all for your help. I didn’t realize I could combine construct links with other arguments in the search tab; this will be helpful for many searches!

• Like 1