Difference Between BHS-W4 and HMT-W4

Dr. Nathan Parker

I know that the HMT-W4 replaced the BHS-W4 as the edition that ships with Accordance base packages a little while back. What exactly is the difference between the two modules? I'm just asking for curiosity sake.

Thanks!

The name change was just because the text is now conformed to the Leningrad codex so it is not strictly the Stuttgartensia any more. Other than that, the tagging was updated and corrected once again with that rev.

• Like 1

So which module now corresponds exactly to the printed BHS? Is it BHS-W4? Is it being maintained?

Edited by Ken Han

Thanks for the info, Helen! Great to know. I have BHS-T as well for school purposes when I need an electronic edition of the BHS, but it's great to know the HMT is updated more frequently on the tagging, as well as it conforms best to the Leningrad Codex.

I miss the BHS footnotes in HMT. When I run across a form that doesn’t seem to make sense in HMT, sometimes I struggle to figure it out only to find that the BHS editors already identified it, noted the other witnesses, and suggested an emendation. They may or may not be correct, but at least it saves me trying to re-think the whole thing. 

• Like 1

Hi Susan.

I've always wanted a version of BHS that looked like a facsimile, but had all the features of an electronic edition. so that you could hover over the text, the Masorah, or the apparatus, and a pop-up, sort of like Instant Details, would give the tagging information, full Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, etc., with an English explanation/translation.

And, I agree with you. The critical apparatus is still very useful. Acc offers the apparatus as an upgrade, see http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BHS-T-upBHS-W4 , although you have to go to http://www.accordancebible.com/files/images/153263-custom.png to see a picture of it..

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Hi Susan.

I've always wanted a version of BHS that looked like a facsimile, but had all the features of an electronic edition. so that you could hover over the text, the Masorah, or the apparatus, and a pop-up, sort of like Instant Details, would give the tagging information, full Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, etc., with an English explanation/translation.

And, I agree with you. The critical apparatus is still very useful. Acc offers the apparatus as an upgrade, see http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BHS-T-upBHS-W4 , although you have to go to http://www.accordancebible.com/files/images/153263-custom.png to see a picture of it..

Regards,

Michel

I spent a big chunk of my day today in this apparatus, but I seem to be easily sidetracked into searching for the source material cited within it.  Archive.org is my second home of late.   :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Michel. I do have the apparatus. My trouble is just that when I’m using HMT as my text there’s no notation/link there of/to a note in the (BHS) apparatus, unlike the BHS module (obviously). So sometimes I expend energy thinking about things that would be easily explained if I just realized there was additional info in the BHS apparatus.  I understand why this is the case, but it seems unfortunate to me that the tagging updates go with the Leningrad module rather than the BHS+apparatus module.

• Like 2

Hi again,

Sorry for misunderstanding. I don't have the apparatus in Acc, but I assumed that "adds the apparatus and the sigla for users who own the BHS-W4 or HMT-W4" meant it linked to both versions.

Everyone mentions the tagging updates. But in reality, the texts are almost identical. They can be compared to two new walls in a brand new room in a brand new house, perfectly drywalled and mudded, followed by two coats of primer and three coats of color. It would be just as hard to tell the difference between both versions as it would be between two of the walls in that new room. As far as the tagging goes, if you read BHS and thought something was tagged incorrectly, you could always check it in HMT. But, there would be no guarantee it was correct in HMT either.

When I read a pointed text, I usually read a paper edition of BHS.

Regards,

Michel

but I assumed that "adds the apparatus and the sigla for users who own the BHS-W4 or HMT-W4" meant it linked to both versions.

Thank you for pointing that out. I wonder why I’m not seeing the links in HMT. Can anyone else with the apparatus comment?

Everyone mentions the tagging updates. But in reality, the texts are almost identical......

When I read a pointed text, I usually read a paper edition of BHS.

I’m sure you’re right. Maybe I’ll just start using BHS instead. (I should probably purchase a paper copy of BHS at some point too.  :) )

Edited by Susan

Thanks, Michel. I do have the apparatus. My trouble is just that when I’m using HMT as my text there’s no notation/link there of/to a note in the (BHS) apparatus, unlike the BHS module (obviously). So sometimes I expend energy thinking about things that would be easily explained if I just realized there was additional info in the BHS apparatus.  I understand why this is the case, but it seems unfortunate to me that the tagging updates go with the Leningrad module rather than the BHS+apparatus module.

Hi Susan,

You can set the apparatus as a parallel resource to the HMT-W4 text and get a somewhat similar experience as you would if you were clicking on the notation/link in BHS-T.  It just takes up a little more room on your display.  Plus, you don't have to click a notation/link as it always keeps up with you.

Regards,

Michael

Apparently, saying it twice adds something?   :)

I'm not sure what happened there, but there it is.

Hi Susan,

You can set the apparatus as a parallel resource to the HMT-W4 text and get a somewhat similar experience as you would if you were clicking on the notation/link in BHS-T.  It just takes up a little more room on your display.  Plus, you don't have to click a notation/link as it always keeps up with you.

Regards,

Michael

Or- If you don't want that extra zone on your display, you can just open the apparatus in a new tab and then tie that tab to the HMT.  The apparatus will parallel the HMT, and you just click on the apparatus tab to see what might be there related to your position in the HMT.

Maybe I’ll just start using BHS instead . . . 

Hi again,

I'm not sure if everyone knows that HMT originated as a transcription of BHS ( see http://www.wts.edu/resources/alangroves/grovesprojects.html). Moreover, I don't think BHS and HMT share the same tagging database. A brilliant example is the one Dr. Holmstedt mentioned at http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/17348-trying-to-understand-pronominal-suffixes/?do=findComment&comment=84084 - "I would take חשׁבי מחשׁבת in Exod 35.[3]5 as a participle bound to its complement, but the Westminster tagging takes חושׁב as a noun, not a participle." The SESB BHS tagging is, "Qal, participle . . . " So, just because HMT is updated more often than BHS, it doesn't mean HMT is more accurate! It may just mean BHS doesn't have as many errors.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

Apparently, saying it twice adds something?   :)

I'm not sure what happened there, but there it is.

I edited the double post. I fixed a couple of others recently. I don't edit what people say but I try to keep the forums tidy.

• Like 1