An English Grammar

Michael Miles

I'm self-taught at my Hebrew and I have, over the years, had expansive excursions into it mixed with eras of time wherein I am not even remotely "into" it.  My work is so opposite and far removed from any sort of scholarly discipline and the rigors of that work sometimes collectively serve to beat the tar out of my backside, so that I am too worn out to care about Hebrew at all, and am rather focused on Cheetos.  Then I have what might be described as manic episodes in that I am very absorbed, but I find myself re-learning things that I had learned sometimes several times before.  They do come much easier, but my Hebrew suffers from both the fact that I am self-taught without any orchestrated course of study, and then that I also need to go back and re-learn my rules of grammar; both Hebrew and English. I'd be of the mind that my last formal schooling ended long before many of you took your first breaths, and it ended when I finished High School.

When inside of Accordance, I find it distracting to have to get out on the internet, with all of the flashy flash advertisements that makes one feel like they are visiting Las Vegas, to go look up what a pronominal suffix is, for example.  I have Hebrew grammars in Accordance (possibly all of them), but it would be very nice to have an English grammar in Accordance, so that my attention might be fixed inside the application and then I could perhaps focus more closely on things.

With that long and basically unnecessary preface, I'd like to cast my vote for a simple old-school English grammar to be offered as an Accordance module.  Perhaps I could fabricate one, but I'd much rather just flash my credit card and have one downloaded in an instant.  My girlfriend probably does not share these sentiments, so I'd appreciate it immensely if this were all just between myself and all of you reading this.   :)  If Accordance offered a senior discount *hint *hint then I'd not suffer as much when purchasing resources.  Just saying'.

Thank you,

Michael

Actually, this is the very reason many of us have given up on teaching sentence diagramming: students no longer learn it in our public schools! Back in "the day," we could use a tool with which students were familiar to analyze the grammar of a new language. With the decline of education in [most of] our public schools, we wound up having to teach English grammar, the sentence diagramming tool, as well as the new language. It just got to be too much. 

• Like 1

Never heard in my B.A. (Before Accordance) time of sentence diagramming. So I had seen a lot of youtube videos on that to learn it and still do it. It seems it is more popular in another part of the high cultured mainland.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

The IVP Pocket Dictionary for the study of Biblical Hebrew might be helpful:

"Here is a book that will deliver you from the perils of the Piel and the thicket of metathesis. It is an indispensable glossary that will cut through that technical language--neither Hebrew nor English--that hovers like ground fog over the study and discussion of biblical Hebrew."

Accordance includes this dictionary as part of the Essential IVP Reference Collection 3. Or, if you  already have Advanced Collection or Ultimate Collection from Accordance, you should already have this dictionary in your library.

Edited by Chuck Schneider
  • Like 1

Thanx for that Chuck - I didn't realize I had that volume kicking around. Could be helpful as you say.

On the English grammar thing, I am sure this has come up before. I recall some discussion requesting some English grammars in Acc. For my part I use the following three when needed which are not the classic older ones but in case they might be of interest :

Introduction to English Grammar, 3rd Ed. Sidney Greenbaum and Gerald Nelson.

Understanding and Using English Grammar, 3rd Edition, Betty Schrampfer Azar.

The Complete Guide to English Usage for Australian Students, Margaret Ramsay.

I'm sure there are others and I believe Greenbaun is co-author of the monster reference grammar which would be nice to have of course but ...

I don't what the standard American grammars for English teaching are I'm afraid.

Thx

D

• Like 1

so that my attention might be fixed inside the application and then I could perhaps focus more closely on things.

Hi,

I looked up a few grammatical terms in Webster's Dictionary, which everyone has in Acc, e.g.,

"Par′ti·ci·ple, n. [F. participe, L. participium, fr. particeps sharing, participant; pars, gen. partis, a part + capere to take. See Participate.] 1. (Gram.) A part of speech partaking of the nature both verb and adjective; a form of a verb, or verbal adjective, modifying a noun, but taking the adjuncts of the verb from which it is derived. In the sentences: a letter is written; being asleep he did not hear; exhausted by toil he will sleep soundly, — written, being, and exhausted are participles,"

and,

"Ad′junct′, n. 1. Something joined or added to another thing, but not essentially a part of it.

3. (Gram.) A word or words added to quality or amplify the force of other words; as, the History of the American Revolution, where the words in italics are the adjunct or adjuncts of “History.”

Not saying it could take the place of a grammar, but until Acc offers one or someone posts a User Tool on the Exchange, it could help you to stay in Acc.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Actually, this is the very reason many of us have given up on teaching sentence diagramming: students no longer learn it in our public schools! Back in "the day," we could use a tool with which students were familiar to analyze the grammar of a new language. With the decline of education in [most of] our public schools, we wound up having to teach English grammar, the sentence diagramming tool, as well as the new language. It just got to be too much. 

I can certainly appreciate your perspective on this and I am in agreement.  What passes for education these days seems to be a mere shadow of what it used to be.  I deal daily with people that have incurred heavy student debt to secure a diploma that leaves them with what seemingly is not much more than a piece of paper. 

We were taught grammar in school and sentence diagramming was part of it.  As my work requires a considerable skill and knowledge set to perform, I sometimes put the things that I learned earlier on in life on the back burner and it takes a bit of work to draw upon them.  My age is not helping me to do this as easily anymore.  An English grammar in Accordance would be a welcome addition.  I'd actually prefer one from perhaps a century ago, when people seem to have had a better grasp than they do now.  Common Core seems to be an attack on logic and common sense, from what little I have gleaned from looking at it and the more that I stare at learning resources of today, the more I head towards and refer to those of my grandfathers. But I digress.   :)

To digress even further, I have noted that as we may have made strides in archeology and our understanding of ancient languages, the level of concern for discovering the truthful meaning of Scripture and the respect due to it have seemed to diminish, and have rather yielded more to textual criticism as a sealed ecosystem of sorts; a terrarium wherein all things spiritual have been scrubbed away. I believe this to be a glaring mis-step, and yet another sign of where we are all headed.

Count me in if you decide to offer an English grammar.  It might be a good thing to have in Accordance for everyone.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Perhaps you could put your scanner and ocr software to work on Essentials of English Grammar Condensed for the High or Preparatory School: A Basis for the Study of Higher English or Other Languages, 1919, 

at https://archive.org/stream/essentialsofengl00gemm#page/16/mode/2up ,

make a User Tool out of it, and post it on the Exchange (even though it sounds a bit snooty and high-brow   :) ).

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

The IVP Pocket Dictionary for the study of Biblical Hebrew might be helpful:

"Here is a book that will deliver you from the perils of the Piel and the thicket of metathesis. It is an indispensable glossary that will cut through that technical language--neither Hebrew nor English--that hovers like ground fog over the study and discussion of biblical Hebrew."

Accordance includes this dictionary as part of the Essential IVP Reference Collection 3. Or, if you  already have Advanced Collection or Ultimate Collection from Accordance, you should already have this dictionary in your library.

I'll need to upgrade to the Advanced Collection to obtain this.  My upgrade price at this point is low enough that purchasing individual titles would be counterintuitive, yet the upgrade price is high enough that I drag my feet (not to mention that I'm already in the dog house with my gal over my recent expenditures - not that I'm yet lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills and throwing bags of cash out of my truck window on the freeway, as I'm sure is her perspective).

I appreciate you pointing this out to me.  After the first of the year my "allowance" will kick back in and at that time I can more closely examine more Accordance purchases.

Thank you,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Perhaps you could put your scanner and ocr software to work on Essentials of English Grammar Condensed for the High or Preparatory School: A Basis for the Study of Higher English or Other Languages, 1919,

make a User Tool out of it, and post it on the Exchange (even though it sounds a bit snooty and high-brow :) ).

Regards,

Michel

Edit: Now it's happened to me too, that something posts twice. It must mean that God has decided that you should do it (Gen 41:32).

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Hi,

I looked up a few grammatical terms in Webster's Dictionary, which everyone has in Acc, e.g.,

"Par′ti·ci·ple, n. [F. participe, L. participium, fr. particeps sharing, participant; pars, gen. partis, a part + capere to take. See Participate.] 1. (Gram.) A part of speech partaking of the nature both verb and adjective; a form of a verb, or verbal adjective, modifying a noun, but taking the adjuncts of the verb from which it is derived. In the sentences: a letter is written; being asleep he did not hear; exhausted by toil he will sleep soundly, — written, being, and exhausted are participles,"

and,

"Ad′junct′, n. 1. Something joined or added to another thing, but not essentially a part of it.

3. (Gram.) A word or words added to quality or amplify the force of other words; as, the History of the American Revolution, where the words in italics are the adjunct or adjuncts of “History.”

Not saying it could take the place of a grammar, but until Acc offers one or someone posts a User Tool on the Exchange, it could help you to stay in Acc.

Regards,

Michel

You are quite right.  I completely skipped over that prospect.  I can employ the use of the included dictionary today.  Thank you!

Hi Michael,

make a User Tool out of it, and post it on the Exchange (even though it sounds a bit snooty and high-brow   :) ).

Regards,

Michel

I see that my perspective on things snooty and high-brow has become matter-of-fact here on the Accordance forums.   :)   

I shall take a look at the reference that you have pointed me towards and see if something can indeed be worked out.  I have 4 or 5 things that I'd like to make into User Tools, one being the Emphasized Bible, and I suppose that I may have to lay aside some other research related unctions to see if I can whittle any of these up.

Thank you kindly for pointing this out to me.

Regards,

Michael

Take your time. If you proofread the Essentials and get side-tracked here and there, you might get your wish - it might be a century old by the time you post it. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

make a User Tool out of it, and post it on the Exchange (even though it sounds a bit snooty and high-brow   http://www.accordancebible.com/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png ).

Regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

I have taken a closer look at your proposed resource linked to above, and it is a splendid choice.  Archive.org also has an .ePub version, which I might be able to open up in BBEdit and and wrangle somewhat readily.

Very nice!  Thanks again,

Michael

Take your time. If you proofread the Essentials and get side-tracked here and there, you might get your wish - it might be a century old by the time you post it. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Maybe I'll be a century old before I post it.  http://www.accordancebible.com/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

• Like 1

I got a hug and a neck rub from my GF (having a cold is marvelous in some respects) and she made me some green tea with lemon, so now I am ready to work on this until my next old-man-nap cycle starts up.

I took the epub file of the grammar that you selected and tried to open it with the system Archive Utility in OS X El Capitan after adding .zip as a second file name suffix, only to be mocked with a chicken vs. egg situation wherewith the filename.epub.zip was extracted to filename.epub.zip.cpgz.  If I tried to extract that with Archive Utility, then it appears that I got my initial filename.epub.zip back.  After doing this for several iterations I was able to form a coherent thought that drove through the mucous filling my skull and made a conscious decision to cease my folly.  Following that, I decided to make initial use of the newly acquired Stuffit Archive Manager that I purchased during the recent MacHeist offering that Alistair was so kind to make mention of here. That worked a turn and using Stuffit Archive Expander I was successfully able to divide, but not yet conquer the inward parts of an epub file.

Some xml files for format and navigation, a single cascading style sheet, and a handful of html files along with a folder of images is what is inside.  I have never dissected an .epub before.  It's easier than sector editing application software.   :)

I can feel the cold getting the better of me and I forecast a nap coming of it.  I'll try to report back in a spell if I am able to wrap my head around how to cobble this all into an Accordance User Tool, but it looks to be pretty easy and simple.  I do remember thinking that before of multiple projects, only to be duped by seeming simplicity.  No worries, as I'm a tenacious old cuss and don't often throw up a white flag and less so as I get older.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi again,

It all sounds a bit snotty, I mean, snooty to those of us who don't know how to program and don't know what you're talking about.  :)

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Hi again,

It all sounds a bit snotty, I mean, snooty to those of us who don't know how to program and don't know what you're talking about.  :)

Regards,

Michel

Maybe I should get this worked through and then after that make a tutorial on how to gut and skin an epub file to make a User Tool.  You do not need Stuffit if you can unzip from the terminal command line.  I know - I would have to include that in the tutorial as well.   :)

I started with computers in maybe 1984 with a bit of foresight in how they might eventually overrun things and saw it as an opportunity to stay ahead of the curve, even though I was employed operating manufacturing equipment and "herding cats", which is my favorite analogy for supervising a work crew.  One or two of them are always running in the opposite direction.  I have been able to spin this up and in addition to teaching myself computer skills, I moved on into electrical and electronics.  So now I change light bulbs and work on ladder code for programmable logic controllers that operate machinery over 700' in length.  I work on energized 480VAC 3 phase equipment (Don't tell OSHA) and my employer is trying to get me to train everyone before I retire.  I just have a keen interest in this stuff and it comes easy, not that I am anything over anyone else.  I was blessed with a stiff lesson in the pitfalls of following self-pride early on in my Christian walk; the circumstances of which few people reading this would believe unless it happened to them, and a lesson that was very un-fun as I was going through it with a long recovery time afterwards.  Lessons like that have a real impact in many ways, and once you get it, you never forget it.  Kind of like when certain truths are made known to you that open doors of understanding that no man or entity can ever close.  I'm not sure what brought all of that up, but there it is and I have learned to leave such things be for reasons that I do not even understand.

I'll get back to this project and see if I can make it go.  I'm not sure if linking to images works in User Tools, but I'm going to see if I can use the few that came with the now dissected epub.  The nap never yet came.   :) There's a nice fire going in the fireplace.  Back to work!

I like how the sample User Tool has a link at the very end that directs you to the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary.  Seeing that I do not have that resource, I shall not be able to continue.

Just kidding.   :)

Not really edited. but the output is not bad.

Greetings

Fabian

Thank you for these.

I was prospecting regarding setting up a web server for a massorah related forum, but I do not think that there is enough interest to warrant the effort.  Some folks that I contacted were interested and some did not bother with my inquiry at all.  I wonder if perhaps something similar could be set into place wherein Accordance users could collectively work on making user tools.  Perhaps there is some interest in that.

I'll take a look at these, Fabian.  I do appreciate your work and your zeal.  When others have zeal, then mine just gets fired up all the more. Unless it's nap tie, of course.

regards,

Michael

I need to do some formatting changes to what is here in the attachment; a barely started toss.  I have no workflow.  A log rolled out of the fireplace.  The cat is yelling on the porch.  After I take care of a few things here, I'll be about it again.  I seem to be skipping over something in BBEdit or I need to find a different way to yank the text to pull it in.

Michael

Essentials of English Grammar.acc7.zip

Hey Michael,

Had a quick look at your prototype. If you have a look at "Digging Deeper > Working with User Tools > Importing to a User Tool > HTML Import to a User Tool" in the doc. you'll see what HTML tags - I'm assuming you're doing an HTML import - are recognized. It will help you get the tool browser (table of contents) working if you have h* tags in the right places as headings will be treated as TOC entries. I don't know if you have hard tabs in it or not but it looks like some indentations in the last page suggest that you might.

Thanx for working on this one. Looks useful.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hey Michael,

Had a quick look at your prototype. If you have a look at "Digging Deeper > Working with User Tools > Importing to a User Tool > HTML Import to a User Tool" in the doc. you'll see what HTML tags - I'm assuming you're doing an HTML import - are recognized. It will help you get the tool browser (table of contents) working if you have h* tags in the right places as headings will be treated as TOC entries. I don't know if you have hard tabs in it or not but it looks like some indentations in the last page suggest that you might.

Thanx for working on this one. Looks useful.

Thx

D

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the tips.  I took the html files that I extracted from the .epub and opened them in BBedit.  I stripped all of the formatting out and obliterated the double spaces that were left as remnants of the OCR process.  The only formatting that I *think* is in that sample are multiple spaces in front of the table of contents entries and 4 spaces between the entry and the page number reference.  I do not know why long strings that wrap in the User Notes editor on the Mac end up jumping like 20 spaces to the right instead of justifying all of the way to the left.  I just downloaded this sample to the new Win10 Boot Camp machine to see what things look like under Windows.  I'm only stumped on that line wrap on the mac and how it retains when I view it on the PC.

Maybe I'll take a hex/disk editor to a test file and see if something is amiss.  Perhaps my encoding is not correct and there are characters that are causing this.  I have one more day off before I have to go back to work.  Maybe I can wrangle it by then.  I'm actually up into the mid-twenties on the page content on the Mac.  I still need to do that TOC you were pointing me to and a bunch of links.  This is actually fun.  By the time I get done with this, I'll probably have this grammar memorized.  :)

I wonder if Accordance will parse more html/css than they attest to in the Help docs for these User Tools?

This Mac running Windows is an odd beast.  I'm stumbling over the key sequences a lot.  It runs very well though and I'm actually quite impressed with it thus far.

Back to work on this after I sit in front of the vaporizer for a spell.

Cheers and thanks again,

Michael

EDIT** turned right when I meant to turn left.  And the dish ran away with the spoon...

Edited by Michael Miles

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the tips.  I took the html files that I extracted from the .epub and opened them in BBedit.  I stripped all of the formatting out and obliterated the double spaces that were left as remnants of the OCR process.  The only formatting that I *think* is in that sample are multiple spaces in front of the table of contents entries and 4 spaces between the entry and the page number reference.  I do not know why long strings that wrap in the User Notes editor on the Mac end up jumping like 20 spaces to the right instead of justifying all of the way to the left.  I just downloaded this sample to the new Win10 Boot Camp machine to see what things look like under Windows.  I'm only stumped on that line wrap on the mac and how it retains when I view it on the PC.

Maybe I'll take a hex/disk editor to a test file and see if something is amiss.  Perhaps my encoding is not correct and there are characters that are causing this.  I have one more day off before I have to go back to work.  Maybe I can wrangle it by then.  I'm actually up into the mid-twenties on the page content on the Mac.  I still need to do that TOC you were pointing me to and a bunch of links.  This is actually fun.  By the time I get done with this, I'll probably have this grammar memorized.  :)

I wonder if Accordance will parse more html/css than they attest to in the Help docs for these User Tools?

This Mac running Windows is an odd beast.  I'm stumbling over the key sequences a lot.  It runs very well though and I'm actually quite impressed with it thus far.

Back to work on this after I sit in front of the vaporizer for a spell.

Cheers and thanks again,

Michael

EDIT** turned right when I meant to turn left.  And the dish ran away with the spoon...

Yeah, maybe taking the stripped plain text and formatting it in html and then importing it will yield better results than just dumping plain text into the User Note editor and beating it into shape that way.

Ah yeah well that was what I was about to suggest. The HTML import in Acc ignores tags it doesn't understand, so long as it's basically well-formed. I've been working on another tool and I work on it in LibreOffice and save it to XHTML which Acc is happy to import. The way I would start here is to see how Acc treats the EPUB HTML itself first and see if it chokes. It might be better than you think. And then if it doesn't work so well I would start editing.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler