CNTTS NT Critical Apparatus

Steve Loosley

This is a request for help understanding the CNTTS NT Critical Apparatus tool.

As an example, I am trying to understand John 20:22 and specifically the textual evidence (if there is any) for on them in the English rendering "he breathed on them."

I read the introduction to the CNTTS and the explanatory notes, but I am not sure that I completely understand.

It would be very helpful if someone could take one verse in the Apparatus and explain in understandable terms what each entry means. Also, what might be helpful is to understand how others are using this database.

Thank you very much.

Forever a student,

-steve

This is a request for help understanding the CNTTS NT Critical Apparatus tool.

As an example, I am trying to understand John 20:22 and specifically the textual evidence (if there is any)  for on them in the English rendering "he breathed on them."

Steve,

The word emfusao in John 20:22 is derived from the preposition en (in, upon) and the verb fusao (to blow). So the idea of breathing "on" someone is contained within the verb itself. The object of the verb emfusao appears to require a dative, and the UBS text has the dative pronoun autois appearing after the verb legei. The Greek experts reading this can correct me if this is wrong, but it appears that autois is acting as the object of both verbs.

The CNTTS apparatus does show some textual variation where emfusao is concerned. The variant in question is number 13, which is just an arbitrary number by which to distinguish this variant from the other variants in John 20:22.

A "Z" in the first column of the first line tells us that "this variation unit only has a single witness to what might be significant readings." As I understand it, this means that all but one of the variants here are relatively minor, but that one manuscript does have a significant variant.

Looking down the second column, all but one of the variants listed is labeled as minor, and the third column shows us that these all amount to differences in orthography (spelling) or a movable nu.

Only the last variant is listed as significant, but it only appears in one manuscript. The "A" in the first column tells us that this manuscript has additional text not found in the UBS, and we see in the fourth column that autois appears after emfusao as well as after lego. This reading only appears in Codex Bezae. In this manuscript, the "them" which is the object of "breathe on" is more explicit than in all the other manuscripts.

That's how I understand the textual and grammatical issues here, but my Greek is admittedly limited. If I've misunderstood something, hopefully the experts here will step in to correct me.

Hope this helps.

Thank you David. Your post was very helpful. We are gaining!

More specifically, let me attempt to explain the entry, and you (or others!) get me back on course:

http://idisk.mac.com/deut3221-Public/gnt.jpg

1) John 20:22-13 The number "13" is an arbitrary number for the variation. I'm curious if there is a GNT that has the arbitrary reference numbers tagged to the text itself? This may speed up the use of the database.

2) The Z is like a heading that says, "For variant 13, there is only one

Archived